cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

debit card isn't visa? can i still get an autopay plan?

comeonchelsea
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

it's maestro, not visa, wondering if i can still use it to get an autopay plan instead of having to go out and buy a voucher every month. haven't been able to find any info about this at all.

11 REPLIES 11

darlicious
Mayor / Maire

@comeonchelsea wrote:

it's maestro, not visa, wondering if i can still use it to get an autopay plan instead of having to go out and buy a voucher every month. haven't been able to find any info about this at all.

@comeonchelsea  While a maestro card has some advantages as an enhanced debit card it is not accepted by public mobile. However your credit union has just introduced a visa/debit card. You may be able to order one online thru your credit union. If not go to your branch and apply for one. As its linked to your account and not a traditional credit card it does give you the ability to use it like a credit card for online purchases etc...or pay and register for autopay on public mobile.  It does not require credit approval as it's based on the funds in your account. Go ask for one and come to ask about joining public mobile. There should be another good promo or flash sale coming up soon. You can sign up on the plans page to receive email alerts on deals so you can take advantage of one when you switch.

geopublic
Mayor / Maire

@comeonchelsea  Best to ask PM directly by submitting a ticket.

PMST.png

@comeonchelsea wrote:

Visa Debit, Visa (credit), Mastercard, and American Express issues by Canadian and U.S. finanacial instititutions will work. 

You have the option to purchase from websites such as recharge.com or ding.com.  Recharge.com might costs you an extra 50 cents or a dollar here and there, but they do accept Paypal.  That won't work for Autopay, but at least you'll save yourself a trip to the store.

comeonchelsea

@GinYVR ohh okay i see, sorry for my ignorance lol.

i only got the card like a month ago, i was super ignorant to this stuff and didn't think to ask for a visa debit 'til it was already said and done since i didn't really know that debits could be not visa lol

i'm still not really sure how all that **bleep** works, just a bit disappointed that a lot of places online don't seem to accept maestro.

@comeonchelseaIt is not a "plan" per say. Most people in the cellular world talk about plans, they are post paid plan ie you use the plan on credit and pay at the end of the month.

Public Mobile works differently than that, in the sense you prepay your usage for the next 30 days. Autopay "plan" means if you have set an automated way to keep on purchasing 30 day plans, you get a $2 discount / month for the each month you use it.

When I googled Northern Credit Union https://www.northerncu.com/ it seems that they have switched to VISA as a provider? perhaps you just need to get your card replaced.

comeonchelsea

i'm not with public, thinking of joining and have never had a plan before.

comeonchelsea

it is a canadian issued card, it's northern credit union. i guess they're just behind on the times or something.

GinYVR
Mayor / Maire

@comeonchelseaJust note it has to be a Canadian issued card. I don't think any banks in Canada uses the Maestro system (even though it is owned by Mastercard).. so it won't work.

ChuckYeah
Mayor / Maire

I did one for a friend last Saturday. Worked like a charm. Keep this in mind:

Your address must match the billing address of the credit card exactly. Don't use the apt# field. Use a 6 character postal code, no space or drop last digit.

@comeonchelsea try to put in on the account and see what it says

totalUser
Mayor / Maire

Does it have expiry date? I know some people using debit cards that are integrated visa. 

You can open some online cards in minutes

I actually just sent you one link

Are you already with public or are you thinking of joining?

Need Help? Let's chat.