cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

access voice mail out of home province (province wide plan) - long distance charge?

hkc
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

Hi there,

After reading many postings about  accessing voice mails there are three ways:

1. dial 1 + my ten digital phone number and then press * and then my password

or

2 press and hold 1 and then key in my password

or

3. find Voicemail access number

Dialer settings > Call settings > Voicemail settings. In my case, 1-289-680-4001 and 289 is Ontario area code

dail 1-289-680-4001 and  then press * and then my password

but I cannot find a clear answer for: 

How to avoid long distance charge to acess my voice mail while I am in out of home province (B.C.) and if I have on province wide call plan (home province: Ontario)?

And I remember someone in this forum said calling B.C. number while in B.C. is NOT long distance even I have province wide call plan (Ontario) . Only if I want to receive call in B.C. I will need to purchase the long distance add-on.  Is it correct?

If I am in B.C. and if I use method 2 above,  press  and hold '1', will it dial B.C. voicemail access number automatically or  1-289-680-4001 (stored in my phone setting) automatically instead?  If it dial 1-289-680-4001 from B.C., then it will be long distance call, right ?

If I call B.C voicemail access number while I am in B.C. Logically there should not be long distance charge, right? What is the B.C. voicemail access number? Also how to find out regional voicemail access number?

Thanks in advance.

35 REPLIES 35

@Martin I'm implying that you seem to have all the answers.

Martin
Legend
Legend

Hi 778,

Your reply confuses me. You're pondering the reason that I'm a mayor in the community?

Please clarify.

Thanks.

@Martin Thank you for answering 2 out of those 3 questions. I wonder why you're the Mayor of this community Smiley Happy

Martin
Legend
Legend

Hello,

A clarification is in order.

If you have an Ontario provincial calling plan and are visiting BC, you can call any BC number without charge. You will, however, not be able to receive calls from BC numbers, Ontario numbers, or from any location. In order to receive calls, a long-distance add-on is necessary.

The voicemail numbers, throughout Canada, are known to the community team members. You must call your local/regional voicemail-access number to listen to your messages. If you are outside your home area, access is not possible via your Public Mobile phone, unless you have Canada-wide or long-distance calling in which case you can call either your local/regional voicemail number or your phone's number.

If you press 1 on your dialer to access voicemail while in BC, it will attempt to call the 289 local/regional voicemail number. You may not access it. See above paragraph for explanation.

FYI.

Further edited by Martin on 2016-03-08 at 1:22 pm EST.

Mayor / Maire

@hkc You bring up some very valid questions:

(1) When traveling to a different province, whether you'd be able to call locally while on a province-wide calling plan. (My guess is "no")

(2) Whether you can access your voicemail from a different access number, and

(3) How to find other access numbers for the PM voicemail system.

If you wait till the morning, one of our amazing community moderators will be able to definitively answer these 3 questions for you.

Need Help? Let's chat.