cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Will i get a refund after cancelling service?

hannastarkie
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

I reluctantly had to cancel my account with Public Mobile to go back to Koodo, as i was in need of a new phone and couldn't afford to buy one outright.
My credit card was charged on Sept 8th for my monthly service, and then i switched to Koodo on Sept 12th. 
Do i have to request a cancellation credit somehow, or will i see a refund soon on my credit card.
Not sure how this works.
Thanks for our help.

11 REPLIES 11

I guess there was no one to get in line behind for a hand me down phone or a phone collecting dust in a drawer somewhere? I go quite a distance out of my way to avoid actually paying for a phone though twice now I have spent just under $25 Canadian including shipping for a replacement screen for my iPhone 6S Plus that was a hand me down from my daughter. These are some of my larger cell phone investments! This is why Public Mobile and AE_Collector are such a good combination!

AE_Collector

@hannastarkie 

If you ported out a phone number to koodo that will automatically cancel your account. But there is a tiny chance that autopay could apply to your card. Check the transactions on what would have been your renewal day or if you can put your card on hold between 11pm et and 7am et and then youre assured it will not be charged. But really it's a miniscule chance.....

Did you ever get a credit from koodo?

If you can't afford a phone outright it only makes since to sign up for a "free" phone and have them finance it for you. You gotta do what you gotta do....see you in 23 1/2 months!

hannastarkie
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

Hmm no i did not remove my autopay before hand, and right away i had no access to my account online at Public Mobile to log in and do anything. 
I will switch right back to PM as soon as my financing is up for getting a new phone, there was just no way i could afford a phone otherwise.

@mm80 

Exactly....that doesn't mean the OP cant use it to her advantage to get what she seeks....a refund of her 26 days her service she didn't use. Just as spreading misinformation or encouraging a new potential customer to switch to pm immediately regardless of how much prepaid service they have left at their current provider is not tolerated here it shouldnt be at koodo. But alas.....i don't expect koodo to change their less than ethical sales tactics it doesnt mean the new client shouldnt seek redress in the 14 days they have the upperhand after that they are at the mercy of koodos whims and 30 days notice.

As my customer I wouldn't dream of arguing with your choices I only present you with your options and offer you suggestions if you ask but if after two bites of your roast lamb you decide you would rather have the salmon that I recommended do i mention you have to pay for both? You don't expect me to take the lamb off your bill despite not wanting it wrapped up to take home? One of the things I do is make sure a customer is fully aware of all of their options,  the costs and i repeat back to them what they have ordered so there is nothing to complain about or anything  I have done while serving them....the chef overcooking the salmon is out of my hands but i will argue on your behalf with the kitchen, take all the expletives and abuse and serve you a new perfectly cooked piece of salmon with a smile on my face.....but you're still getting charged for the lamb you ordered. And I do all this for minimum wage and if you choose not to tip me I will pay 5% of your bill out of my minimum wage to tip the kitchen who messed up your salmon and yelled at me. That's good customer service. Thank you! Please come again.

mm80
Town Hero / Héro de la Ville

@darlicious Too many times, salespeople make up fake plociies about a carrier they're not familiar with.  If I want the most expensive wine, serve it if that's what I want. Once I've made up my mind, trying to talk me out of it is arguing with the customer.  

@mm80 

No they don't but it's good customer service to advise a new client how to not waste their money. Despite @hannastarkie no longer being a public mobile customer I'm advising her how to negotiate a credit equal to her plan that will not be prorated or refunded to her from public mobile.

Remind me if I ever serve you to sell you the most expensive bottle of wine on the menu not the best one.

Edit: koodo retail locations do activate pm service and sell pm sim cards but i dont ever expect good customer service from them. BTW...most locations charge a $30 activation fee for pm.

mm80
Town Hero / Héro de la Ville

@darlicious Koodo salesperson doesn't need to tell customer about no refunds at Public.  They shouldn't try either because unless they work for Public or at least sell it, they shouldn't guess about another carrier's policies.

@hannastarkie 

Unfortunately there are no refunds with a prepaid service but the salesperson at koodo should have advised you. Ask koodo for a credit as you could have easily switched in three weeks from now. Remember you have 14 days to change your mind and cancel your contract with koodo without penalty(as long as you don't overuse your plan in that time). Keep that in mind when you ask for a credit.

RosieR
Mayor / Maire

@hannastarkie wrote:

I reluctantly had to cancel my account with Public Mobile to go back to Koodo, as i was in need of a new phone and couldn't afford to buy one outright.
My credit card was charged on Sept 8th for my monthly service, and then i switched to Koodo on Sept 12th. 
Do i have to request a cancellation credit somehow, or will i see a refund soon on my credit card.
Not sure how this works.
Thanks for our help.

Hi @hannastarkie as already mentioned by the replies above, it is unlikely that you can get a refund as PM is prepaid.  Sorry to see you go 👋🏻

popping
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

@hannastarkie wrote:

Not sure how this works.
Thanks for our help.

PM is a prepaid provider.  Therefore, there is no refund for your unused days of your current billing cycle.  

Did you remove your autopay cc info from your account before moving your phone number to Koodo?

Karnbot13
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

Koodo may credit your account, as they are a part of the Telus family, but it is unlikely. Public is prepaid, so it is unlikely that you will get a refund even if you ask the moderators

Need Help? Let's chat.