cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Why is PM not classifying AutoPay as a recurring bill payment for credit card rewards?

teddy_44
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

I have a TD Cash Back VISA Infinite card and it says "Earn 3% in Cash Back Dollars ("PAP Rebate") on each $1.00 in payments made on a monthly or other regularly recurring basis for merchant bills, including insurance premiums, magazine/newspaper/online streaming subscriptions, membership fees and telecommunication fees, that are set up by the merchant".

I have a recurring payment every 3 months with PM, so it should qualify and it seems like it's up to Public Mobile (the merchant) to decide whether the recurring payment gets the extra rewards or not. However, I've confirmed that the recurring charge does not get the extra rewards points and TD VISA says it's up to PM to do this.

Does anyone know what the MCC code is for PM?

Can PM confirm that their MCC code should be eligible for extra credit card rewards?

8 REPLIES 8

ShawnC13
Oracle
Oracle

@teddy_44, my additional thoughts as to why it isn't considered recurring bill Payment.  The date is always different as it 90 days and not 3 months.  As well as others have stated technically you are only a PM customer for those 90 days when you renew that is a new agreement with them.

I am happy to help, but I am not a Customer Support Agent please do not include any personal info in a message to me. Click HERE to create a trouble ticket through SIMon the Chatbot *

wrote:

I suppose prepaid doesn't have recurring bill payment because there is no obligation to renew.  It is payment to payment.  While many of us have set up our account like a regular account with auto pay, there's probably lots of accounts that are paid with vouchers and don't have a credit card on file.  

My accountant partner agrees with William's explanation. PM does not issue a bill, only accepts payments.

>>> ALERT: I am not a CSA. Je ne suis pas un Agent du soutien à la clientèle.

srlawren
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

@teddy_44 I think you'd probably have to ask TD.  Try giving the toll-free number on the back of your credit card a call and asking them about it.

>>> ALERT: I am not a moderator. For account or activation assistance, please click here.

will13am
Oracle
Oracle

I suppose prepaid doesn't have recurring bill payment because there is no obligation to renew.  It is payment to payment.  While many of us have set up our account like a regular account with auto pay, there's probably lots of accounts that are paid with vouchers and don't have a credit card on file.  

mtfolks
Town Hero / Héro de la Ville

Rewards Cards usually have higher merchant fees or so is my understanding. Is it possible that if they classify it as a recurring bill payment and therefore eligible for a higher rewards that PM would be dinged with higher fees?

May be worth looking into. If that is the case then there would be good reason for them to not categorize the charge at the higher rewards rate. That’s money off of their bottom line. 

https://www.thestar.com/business/personal_finance/2013/07/23/how_credit_card_fees_for_merchants_work...

http://www.moneysense.ca/spend/credit-cards/credit-cards-could-become-pricier-to-use/

what does PM's payment show on td's end?  Just normal internet purchase?

teddy_44

I don't think that matters. I have another recurring payment for internet that qualifies.

Ziggy

I believe its not considered a recurring payment because its a prepaid payment.

Need Help? Let's chat.