cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Why Payment before the month is up?

sebpineros
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

2 part question: 

1.). Why am I paying at the beginning of the month? Other providers get your bill ready at the end of the cycle but with Public Mobile apparently you pay before the beginning of the cycle. Doesn’t make sense because say I go over my data limits do I get charged the next month for that? 

2.) If someone were to cancel their account , and we get charged at the beginning of the cycle then is there just a refund done? 

thanks! 

8 REPLIES 8

@Naepalm wrote:

Actually this is exactly how BELL works you pay for your usage before you use it and then they add last month's usage onto the next Month.

Also the same with ROGERS, who I was with for the last 10+ years... You always pay at the beginning of the month for the upcoming month in your "base plan." What's post paid is overages and incidental charges like long distance, roaming, 411, excess data etc. Everything will always work, whether it's included in your plan or not. You get to learn by experience what's included and what's not each month by the surprise in the mail, and that's the "post-paid" part. 😁 I presume all "post paid" plans mostly work this way.

@sebpineros wrote:

2 part question: 

1.). Why am I paying at the beginning of the month? Other providers get your bill ready at the end of the cycle but with Public Mobile apparently you pay before the beginning of the cycle. Doesn’t make sense because say I go over my data limits do I get charged the next month for that? 

2.) If someone were to cancel their account , and we get charged at the beginning of the cycle then is there just a refund done? 

thanks! 

Even at postpaid providers, you are still being billed in advance for the plan. The difference is how postpaid carriers give you a grace period before the bill is considered overdue, and generally don't cut the service off until multiple months have gone unpaid.

Naepalm
Mayor / Maire

@sebpineros wrote:

2 part question: 

thanks! 

Actually this is exactly how BELL works you pay for your usage before you use it and then they add last month's usage onto the next Month. For example, when I switch from bell last week I had already paid for my next month so I received a credit of $132.00 

So all this to say Public is not the only one that does this. But the difference is that Public Mobile is a prepaid service so when you purchase a plan it's non-refundable. But that's not as painful as when you have a 132.00 plan with Bell or a 15.00 plan with Public. LOL

@sebpineros 

There are two types of mobile service offered in Canada. Postpaid and prepaid. Most companies offer both of these services. Public mobile only offers one...prepaid. Postpaid services require a credit check and upon approval you choose a plan that you are billed for after you begin to recieve your services you will be billed at the end of your first month. Depending on the plan you chose you wiĺl also be billed fo services not included in your plan which may include long distance, roaming or data overages. You will be informed via text messages if you enter a roaming zone and if you exceed $50 in data overages you will be asked if you wish to go over the $50 limit. These charges will be added to your next monthly bill. If you choose to cancel your account or port your number out on a month to month (non-contract) postpaid account you will have your monthly bill prorated (billed per day used) and be refunded any portion of your monthly bill you have not used.

Prepaid services that public mobile offers require no credit check nor do they require a fixed address to be billed to....because you are not billed because you pre pay for your services. Your plan is based on a 30 day cycle versus monthly that can vary from 28 days to 31 days. You decide ahead of time what plan suits you best and you can change that plan to suit your needs. Either immediately (no refund for your remaining days out of 30) or schedule it to change on your next renewal. There are no overages or extra billing. If you require a service not included in your plan you can purchase an add on for that service such as international long distance minutes (400 min/$15) or 1gb data add on (currently 50% off at $15). These add ons stay on your account (rolling over monthly) until you have used them up. Public mobiles services are non refundable however if you make an honest mistake when purchasing an add on or changing your plan contacting a moderator and explaining your situation will usually result in a credit issued to your account or the moderators fixing the mistake for you with the appropriate plan or add on.

There are many things to learn on how to manage your account but with the help of the community and the moderators when necessary you will soon be an expert at understanding how public mobile and your account works. Feel free to ask any question we are happy to answer, guide you thru the process or recommend a moderator. If you are unsure on how to do something ask us first we can help eliminate mistakes before they happen. Welcome to public mobile.

ShawnC13
Oracle
Oracle

@sebpineros , who pointed you in the direction of Public Mobile?  Only asking because this person hasn't informed you very well.  If it was at a retail location I would let them know that they need to inform customers better.  If it was a friend or family member maybe have a discussion with them about giving better information about Public Mobile.  It is great to see so many new members but so many are provided the wrong information before they join and that gets them started off not eh wrong foot.  @sebpineros  we are here to help you and hope you learn more about PM so you can be more informed when you recommend people.

As stated PM is a pre-paid service so you pay for your 30-day plan upfront.  There are no data overages.  If you use up all of your data it just shuts off until; you purchase a data add-on, renew your plan early, or use wifi only until your plan renews.  

If you cancel your plan partway through there is no refund for unused portions of your plan, you would be giving up anything that you have already purchased.  Any other questions we can help you with?

I am happy to help, but I am not a Customer Support Agent please do not include any personal info in a message to me. Click HERE to create a trouble ticket through SIMon the Chatbot *

dabr
Mayor / Maire

@sebpineros wrote:

2 part question: 

thanks! 

@sebpineros   PM has 30 days cycle from activation.  Your payment will change every month because of the 30 days cycle.

gblackma
Mayor / Maire

@sebpineros 

1.  Its a 30 day cycle prepaid account. You pay upfront. There are no overages, the data simply stops working.
  2. There are no refunds. So if you cancel, you lose what you paid.

Stay safe.  Welcome to PM. 

iliketotalk
Mayor / Maire

@sebpineros hi public is prepaid per 30 day cycle so once it starts there are no refunds for that cycle but also there are no surprise overages either

Need Help? Let's chat.