cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What's the cheapest way to buy top-ups?

ibuddler
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

Hi guys,

Is 5% discount the cheapest way to buy top-ups?

Thanks,

16 REPLIES 16

@Nezgar I activated a SIM today from them and it works fine for my moms phone! 

@ibuddler 

Thinking about this possibly getting the best discount other than saving the pst in Alberta or the territories would be using a cash back credit card with maybe as high of a return as 4% at drugstores or the koho card which gives an additional 2% for public mobile payments on top of the 0.5% regular cash back plus referrals (1% each). Now it would be interesting to see if when purchasing $10 Pm vouchers at London drug would garner the extra 2% (in theory it should.) So in effect if you use a referral when you sign up for koho your initial cash back rate will be 1.5%+2% extra for pm vouchers along with the 5% you save by earning LD extras ($5 coupon per 10 visits/10 $10 Pm vouchers) which the coupon can be used to buy the 11th $10 voucher (plus you get a $5 birthday coupon) so you can save 8.5%+the pst if you purchased in a non pst jurisdiction you have the potential of saving up to 18.5% on pm vouchers. More if you have additional referrals on your koho card worth 1% each.

fdrcamb519
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

@ibuddler 

There was a post a few weeks ago about an app ampli, you save 5% has not worked for me yet, maybe because I paid with, vouchers have to wait for cc payment, was posted by @fibi200329 , check it out.

@mpcdesignYeah CCS was definitely the cheapest voucher option, but they haven't been available for weeks since they were 'found out' by this forum and sold out... 😆 I suspect it will be some time or never before PM vouchers are available from them again. Cheap SIM's still available from them though...

@ibuddler, the cheapest way to buy a voucher it seems from a third-party website. Paypal or Credit card, called Canadian Cell Supplies. I haven't bought at all, but a few have bought it. You can ask @gblackma and @darlicious who I believe bought some!

If you live in a province other than Alberta, you might consider asking a friend in Alberta to purchase vouchers for you to take advantage of 0% PST.

Otherwise, check out a previous topic of interest: https://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/Paying-for-your-service/Retail-Voucher-Purchases-Poin...

There it was discussed that by purchasing your top-up vouchers at London Drugs, the minimum $10 increments are eligible for LDextras $5 voucher after 10 visits - effectively 5% off.

Also, purchasing vouchers at Shell stations are eligible for airmiles - 1 per $10 up to $100. Sometimes eligible for instore bonuses...  https://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/Paying-for-your-service/Voucher-Catalogue/m-p/509542/...

ibuddler
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

Well, I think you can still buy cheap voucher to get a further discount?

would you guys stop with the math? I can't believe I actually read all the posts and reading all that math and savings.

I think I will stick at buying a cheap plan of $15, and let my two years of $4 savings (Autopay and Loyalty $2 each) be the source of my savings!!

Nickel and diming for a few cents to save on a cell plan isn't worth the time and energy that one puts into it. Speaking for myself only, I won't try vouchers again as I had a bad experience with them. But for others, you do what you have to do to save a penny. Or nickel!

fdrcamb519

@ibuddler 

another way to save is buying vouchers through a credit that offers cash back rewards at grocery stores , I have a 3% one there is a 4% one for gas and groceries. Google it. 

Another sneaky way if you're in higher tax provinces is to get a friend in AB lol. 

@Naepalm wrote:

I would say Recharge is convenient but the math doesn't make any sense to me...

45.13 Top up cost 53.08, tax is 2.15 + 2.49 service fee = 45.13+2.15+2.49= 49.76....hmmm LOL

Recharge.com used to be cheaper without fees before i and others started to share around the community. 

@Naepalm wrote:

@computergeek541  yeah I take risks but never take those kinds of risks been burned a few times by that 😞 

There are cases when people do purchase a few vouchers by mistake or stock up but then change their minds about using them and ending switching carriers.  However, selling a large volume of vouchers would be a very easy way to launder money. Such sellers would not care about that much about the official profitability on the sale of such top up vouchers because it would make the sale price look to be suddenly legitimate currency.

It doesn't even have to even anything deliberate that could cause a clawback of a top up voucher. Someone could buy a voucher from a covenience store, keep it for a couple of months and then find a deal at a another carrier. Wanting to get some of the money back, this person would sell it for a fraction of the original price.  Later on, the reseller goes through a credit card statement but doesn't recognize the charge of a small store name and does a chargeback. If that happens, Public Mobile might have never got paid and would reserve the right to remove those funds from that account balance from the customer's account that the top up ended up in.

@computergeek541  yeah I take risks but never take those kinds of risks been burned a few times by that 😞 

Naepalm
Mayor / Maire

@ibuddler wrote:

Hi guys,

Thanks,

You need to be on the lookout for sale online this is the best way, you can purchase them from out of proving, although I have not figured this out yet. As each provider has a different rate. Another way is if in-store they have a sale on top-ups, or sign up for Rakuten or Swag, Or even PayTM where you get points to pay your bills. Or something like that where you can buy gift cards to one of the stores that sell vouchers then you can use that gift card to buy top-ups. 

Canadiancellsupplies.com sells vouchers but they seem to be sold out all the time. With a ten percent discount referral, you can get them cheaper there as well. 

I would say Recharge is convenient but the math doesn't make any sense to me...

45.13 Top up cost 53.08, tax is 2.15 + 2.49 service fee = 45.13+2.15+2.49= 49.76....hmmm LOL

Screen Shot 2020-05-18 at 12.17.28 AM.png

Hope this helps.

hairbag1
Mayor / Maire

@ibuddler wrote:

Hi guys,

Thanks,

https://canadiancellsupplies.com/ has advertised cheap top-ups but there out of stock right now.

@ibuddler wrote:

Hi guys,

Thanks,

The cheapest ways will always be methods that Public Mobile would never officially sanction. In the unofficial grey market, customers can sometimes find people selling vouchers that were purchased by mistake. In general, these can sometimes be found at half the face value.

Occassionally, some will have a bunch of these for sale, but when seeing these, one does sometimes have to wonder about the source of these and consider if someone has a some type of code generator, or if some other type of funny business is going on. There's always the risk that risk that such vouchers could have been been originally paid for using, let's just say 'strange" money. If you end up using a voucher that was paid for by the seller using such invalid money, there's always the risk that such a top up could be removed even after being added to your account.  This can be especially true if the price seems too good to be true as you would have to ask yourself why someone would want to sell at a loss.

Usually, things work out fine, but one does need to conider the above possibility. Admittedly, I have recommened sources of top up vouchers that I have not checked whether are official sources or not.  Public Mobile would obviously say to only ever buy from authorized retailers.

brettster99

@ibuddler 

@gblackma has some good ways for top ups or @darlicious knows some tricks as well

Need Help? Let's chat.