cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What is AutoPay?

Mansi_G
Retraité / Retired
Retraité / Retired

AutoPay is a free service that allows you to pay for your wireless service automatically using a credit or VISA Debit card.

With AutoPay, you never have to worry about missing your payment. Even better, if you are on a Rewards Eligible plan, you can start earning a recurring AutoPay Reward that will bring your plan cost down. Here’s more on the AutoPay Reward.

How does AutoPay work?

On your payment due date, AutoPay will automatically charge the amount owing or a pre-selected amount of your choice from your credit or VISA Debit card.

How do I set up AutoPay?

You can sign up for AutoPay when you activate or you can do so anytime online using your Self Serve account.

First, you need to register your credit card. Find out how to do that here.

After your credit or VISA Debit card has been registered, you can now set up AutoPay. To do this, please follow the steps below:

1. Go to the “Payment” tab
  2. Click on the “AutoPay” tab
  3. Place a check mark on "Yes, I want to register for AutoPay”
  4. Simply add your payment method information
  5. Click “Register for AutoPay” to automatically calculate your plan cost minus any Rewards.

Payment_AutoPay.png

Payment_AutoPay_Register for AutoPay.png

Note: If you signed up for AutoPay prior to August 2015, you can change your AutoPay settings so that your credit card is charged the amount owed vs. the set amount you originally enrolled with. To switch, simply remove AutoPay in the same AutoPay tab by clicking on “Remove AutoPay” and then re-register.

57 REPLIES 57

Jessiecups1823
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

Auto-pay is when you give your banking information for your phone bill to come out automatically instead of calling in whenever you want to deposit money and with autopay you automatically 

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Judelina wrote:

It’s easier for them to take payment then having customers call in all the time to make payments 

There's no place to call in to (other than the automated 611).

Judelina

It’s easier for them to take payment then having customers call in all the time to make payments 

Good morning all!  Just thought I'd mention that I've seen a change in how AutoPay is processing, from my previous recent experiences, as I've just gone through a renewal last night.

Sometime around 7:00 pm on 'Payment Date', my plan was listed as 'Plan Expired' without the big warning message stating the blub 'If you're on AutoPay or have loaded available funds etc..'.

My service was working at this time, I had available funds of $51 listed, rewards had not yet been processed, and I hadn't yet been charged for AutoPay top up.  Other than not seeing the warning/ignore message - all seemed good, but as this was a lot earlier than usual (normally around 10 pm ET) I started to wonder if something would go wrong.

After the Maple Leafs lost in overtime, I checked my service - still working, Self-Serve still listed Plan Expired, no changes otherwise.

Overnight, my credit card was charged at 2:15 am, and at 5:30 am, I saw the warning/ignore message, funds were converted and plan was still expired in Self-Serve.  Services still working.

It's now 8 am, and my Self-Serve lists my account as Active.

So it all worked fine, but timeline was 3 hours earlier than I've seen in the past year.

Tylor2001
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

Same end result yes. Although you are eliviated the stress of going through the payment process every time your plan ends. 

Also as an added bonus you can make $2/30day credit (money off the cost of your phone plan)

ottawa
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

I have a credit card that gives extra cashback for automatic payments. It works on most things (e.g. Rogers cable bill) but I did not get the bonus on Public Mobile autopay. Is this a known issue, or should I call the credit card issuer and request they investigate? I don't want to waste their time (or mine) if this is a known issue with Public Mobile.

Thanks!

=aw

ohitora
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

For some strange reason your BRAVO tab is blocked.

ohitora

Explain this to a moderator who will help.

@Vanguard wrote:

I have registered my credit card, and My Account settings show I am on auto pay.

However, the plan didn't renew and my account was suspended.

I logged in to Self Serve made a payment and the plan renews.

My question is "What is AutoPay"

Why do I need to make the payment manually when it is called AUTOPAY??

ohitora

They require the Credit Card so they can (auto pay) auto deduct the monthly renewal fee and you won't have to remember to do it in time. Pluss they reduce your fees by $2/month. 

ohitora

@Rockdaddy22 wrote:
That's why I say PM is kinda like a hybrid of the prepaid world. I wouldn't be surprised to see them transition to a post paid company in the next few years. IMHO
Also, I think they just want to make sure payment is made without any disruption in service.

They require the Credit Card so they can (auto pay) auto deduct the monthly renewal fee and you would not have to do it yourself.

ohitora

@Korth wrote:

Public Mobile is strictly prepaid; you don't (and can't) get any service until you've paid everything up front.  And you have to bring your own unlocked phone; you can't buy or finance or contract one from Public Mobile.

So I don't understand exactly why Public Mobile is interested in obtaining credit card information.  Interested enough to offer an attractive discount.

They require the Credit Card so they can (auto pay) auto deduct the monthly renewal fee.

CS_Agent
Customer Support Agent

Hi nasatona,

Thank you for reaching out to us. 

In order to better assist you, please send us a Private Message.

I am waiting for your answer.

Cheers

Abdoulaye

nasatona

I signed up for Auto pay and my credit card information is attached. However, they "suspended" my account because I didn't make a payment. Not sure why that is. 

srlawren
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

@Rehat wrote:

I had the same issue ,today it charged amount from my bank and when I login to account asked me to activate the account,it was suspended.so I did payment again.i had to make a call ! So I do need an solution and payment back

@Rehat typically there's no refunding with Public Mobile, and any excess funds will sit in an Available Funds balance [more on that can be found here].

However, you could still reach out the moderator team to ask if they can do anything for you.  Please see all the details you will need to do so, here:

Spoiler
How can you get help with your account, activation, or service?In your message please include:
  • PM Phone Number, 4 digit PIN, Account email address, Detailed explanation of your issue
Don't know your pin?--provide any 3 of the following:
  • Complete mailing address, Email address, Alternate phone number, Date of birth, Last top up date & amount
How long until they reply?:
  • Office Hours: Mon-Friday 9am to 9pm, and Saturday & Sunday from 9am to 7:30pm [Toronto Time].
  • Messages are replied to during office hours, in the order in which they are received
  • Typical response time is between 1-3 hours, depending on message queue, but can be up to 48 hours.
  • There is no need to send multiple messages.
How can I view my private messages between myself and a Community Moderator?

>>> ALERT: I am not a moderator. For account or activation assistance, please click here.

Rehat

I had the same issue ,today it charged amount from my bank and when I login to account asked me to activate the account,it was suspended.so I did payment again.i had to make a call ! So I do need an solution and payment back

@hinamirza

Merchants don't have to pay the customer a surcharge to obtain permission to accept the customer's preferred method of payment.

Services like this offer "Live Caller ID!  We will now show you more than just the caller's phone number; you will know who they are, where they live, and how they look, even before you answer the call."  This legally requires "consent" to collect (and sell) private information, your credit card number and email and social media profile photos and whatever other data they can gather, correlate, package, and sell.  Each user is clearly worth at least $2/month in side revenues for Telus.

hinamirza

you give public mobile the right to charge every month and becouse of that public mobile give 2 doller discount what you suppose to pay each month

Rockdaddy22

🤑

You can still get the autopay pay reward while using vouchers. You just need to have a valid credit card on file and autopay turned on. I’ve been doing it for awhile. 

That totally makes perfect sense!

I just kept thinking of AutoPay as a "fire and forget" thing that keeps shifting the PM bill onto a credit card.

But of course it'll only tap your credit card when available account balance isn't enough to renew the plan.

I guess I'll set AutoPay up, $24/year is worth five minutes of my time ... and I'll start saving up more Canadian Tire "money" to pay for another PM billing cycle, haha.

Rockdaddy22

Wait a minute @Korth I think we have some confusion. You can still get the autopay pay reward while using vouchers. You just need to have a valid credit card on file and autopay turned on. I’ve been doing it for awhile. 

I don't happen to have a Walmart card (or a MasterCard).

I agree, it's not the best credit card deal for me, that's why I use another.

But I suppose it's a good option for some people.  Although AutoPay discounts are probably better.

Rockdaddy22

Unfortunately Walmart has one of the worst Mastercards out there. Using Canadiantire gift cards is the best, if it’s possible for you. Periodically Canadiantire gift cards go on sale for %10 off, can’t beat that. 

Walmart now sells PM SIMs/Vouchers, and they (or their MasterCard) do have some sort of points or rewards system ... might be better PM "savings" than Canadian Tire.  At least for people like me who do far too much shopping at Walmart (and not enough at Canadian Tire), lol.

Rockdaddy22

I love it 🤑 Great job @Korth

wrote:
Buy vouchers at CanadianTire gas bar, using gift cards you can get for %10 off from time to time.

It took over a year, but I finally saved up enough Canadian Tire "money" to get "free" phone service for a full billing cycle, haha.  I suppose this can actually be a "cheaper" way to go than AutoPay if you spend a lot at Canadian Tire.

Dninclaus

This is true, If I manually pay autopay never takes more 

Dninclaus

Got a text message from 611 at 12:13 pm Toronto time.... finally completed the process of renewal.

All successful.  Did not manually pay, just 'let it fly'.

This used to end around 2 AM on the day after renewal.  That's 10 hours different from what was normal when I signed up.

srlawren

@Vanguard if you made a manual payment before the AutoPay was processed, AutoPay would not have collected any additional funds, and you will have an Availalbe Funds balance of $0.00.  If you made the payment after AutoPay was processed, you will have an Available Funds balance of $120.00, which will go toward your next renewal and/or add-on purchase(s).  More on available funds balance.

>>> ALERT: I am not a moderator. For account or activation assistance, please click here.

Rockdaddy22

Thanks for the update 

Need Help? Let's chat.