cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What happens to available funds if I close my account?

jalex059
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

I'm looking to switch plans, however i want to know what happens to available funds if I close my account? I had preloaded it with a large amount of money by accident when i revieved the text about not having enough money, even though it was on auto-pay.

10 REPLIES 10

@slash407 wrote:

lol u shouldnt of loaded it with alot of money but the money stays there if u suspend after 3 months i would imagine they would send u a check and close ur account, ill be shocked if they take ur money under forfeiture but hey it could happen, u might wanna read up on the legal terms there and not take members word for anything about it

The official policy is that no refund will be issued.  This is stated in the terms of service.

srlawren
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

@mimmo wrote:

Have to jump in here. In 99.9% of the cases once money has been added to the account there are no refunds. No need to ask mods for a refund. If it was a system error etc then yes a refund is possible.

You basically have 2  options. 

1) stay with PM till your funds run out

2) ask mods if they would transfer funds to a friend or family member that is with PM

@Alex888 please see the above.  PM does not give refunds to available funds balance if you port out your number, with the exception of taking a Koodo migration offer in which balance transfer is explicitly mentioned.  

Think of it this way:  your self-serve available funds balance is like a gift card to The Bay.  If you decide one day to load a few hundred dollars on a Bay gift card because you like the socks they sell (totally random, fabricated PC example) and want to keep buying them from The Bay down the road.  Great, you think!  Then you discover that you actually like the socks better from Walmart, and stop using The Bay.  Do you think The Bay would refund you any unused amount of your gift card?  No, it's lost.  Use it or lose it.  

Please don't get anyone's hopes up asking for refunds in this type of scenario.  

>>> ALERT: I am not a moderator. For account or activation assistance, please click here.

RobertQc
Mayor / Maire

@jalex059 wrote:

I'm looking to switch plans,

@jalex059  Switch plans, or switch carriers.

Big difference here.

Please clairify.

mimmo
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

Have to jump in here. In 99.9% of the cases once money has been added to the account there are no refunds. No need to ask mods for a refund. If it was a system error etc then yes a refund is possible.

You basically have 2  options. 

1) stay with PM till your funds run out

2) ask mods if they would transfer funds to a friend or family member that is with PM

@Alex888 wrote:

@tehowennatheThey won't give a refund after money has been taken from the account for a renewal or addon, but some people can get a refund of money that is still in there account and has not been used for a renewal.

That isn't the policy. I'm not saying it's impossible, but the terms of service say no refunds. 

There have been some Koodo migration offers where Public Mobile balances were converted to Koodo payment credits, and I suppose someone could have done that in the past and then immediately cancelled the Koodo service with Koodo then owing the customer a refund.  You'd have to check of there are any one those Public-to-Koodo promos still being offered.

There is no reason to refund on a prepaid plan.  The moderators May allow it, but do not hold your breath.

top limit this and make the change to a new provider, turn off auto pay, and port your number out near when the plan will expire if you wish to keep your number, while getting a better plan in the mean time.

tehowennathe
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

@Alex888 wrote:

@tehowennatheThey won't give a refund after money has been taken from the account for a renewal or addon, but some people can get a refund of money that is still in there account and has not been used for a renewal.

Never knew about the money that hasn't been used. It's worth a chance.

tehowennathe
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

@Alex888 wrote:

@jalex059If you are just changing plans you don't need a new account, just do a plan change in your self-serve account. If you mean that you are moving to another provider you will need to contact a moderator to get a refund, you can send them a private message here: https://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/notes/composepage/note-to-user-id/22437

Being that this is a prepaid service you won't get a refund if you switch carriers. You can try but in past I knew people who didn't get refund. That's the part of being on prepaid. Doesn't matter what prepaid carrier your on 

Alex888
Mayor / Maire

@jalex059If you are just changing plans you don't need a new account, just do a plan change in your self-serve account. If you mean that you are moving to another provider you will need to contact a moderator to get a refund, you can send them a private message here: https://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/notes/composepage/note-to-user-id/22437

Need Help? Let's chat.