cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What credit card category is autopay in?

arkw
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

@Shazia_K

This question is for those who have credit card rewards program for recurring bills (Tangerine CC for me), where you get double cash back on various categories, like recurring bills.

With Koodo, the monthly payments would be under recurring bills, the first Public Mobile charge was not (makes sense, its not a recurring payment off the bat), but with Auto-Pay, does this categorize under recurring bills?

16 REPLIES 16

CS_Agent
Customer Support Agent

Hello @domptg,

We hope you're doing well! 

We just wanted to let you know that the image you've posted has been removed for security purposes since it contains some personal information (credit card and phone#) and also due to the fact that this is a Public forum. 

Thank you for your understanding and have yourself  a great weekend! 🙂 

@domptg wrote:

On October 10, 2018 I bought my PM SIM on visa card in Superstore's Mobile Shop.

Today I was looking back on my CIBC Dividend Visa to find something else and look what I found.....

The SIM card charge went under PUBLIC PARKING GARAGE CATEGORY ???

@domptgI have seen this by other members too, its weird. My credit card shows all kinds of stuff wrong too. The important thing is the amount, company, and date, not the "description".

domptg

On October 10, 2018 I bought my PM SIM on visa card in Superstore's Mobile Shop.

Today I was looking back on my CIBC Dividend Visa to find something else and look what I found.....

The SIM card charge went under PUBLIC PARKING GARAGE CATEGORY ???

Kaiyo
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

@teddy_44 Public Mobile would need to classify their payment as recuring/PAP for MC to be able to categorize it as a recurring billing.

matbasm
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

Hi @teddy_44.  Unfortunately I don't have an answer to you question.  I know that this thread also discusses this issue. That said, you have posted to a very old topic.  It is unlikely that it would be seen by many others around here.  For future reference, you should always start a new topic in order to get the most possible exposure/responses.

teddy_44
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

So does this apply to all credit cards? I have a TD Cash Back VISA Infinite card and it says "Earn 3% in Cash Back Dollars ("PAP Rebate") on each $1.00 in payments made on a monthly or other regularly recurring basis for merchant bills, including insurance premiums, magazine/newspaper/online streaming subscriptions, membership fees and telecommunication fees, that are set up by the merchant".

I have a recurring payment every 3 months with PM, so it should qualify and it seems like it's up to Public Mobile (the merchant) to decide whether the recurring payment gets the extra rewards or not.

Does anyone know what the MCC code is for PM?

Or can PM confirm that their MCC code should be eligible for extra credit card rewards?

rolomonster

You could use your Tangerine card to buy vouchers and get 2/4% cash back of you have drug store/grocery/gas options and your local drug store/grocery/gas retailer sells them. Keep the voucher amounts under your total amount and still get auto pay credit, and remaining balance at 1% cash back.

benj

@nd

AFAIK it's Mastercard that does the classification, not Tangerine, no?

WearySky

@Eug wrote:

@WearySky wrote:

You only get double cash back on recurring payments for the first three months any way, so unless you're on monthly, or sign up for a 90 day plan on the day that you get your Tangerine CC, by the time the second autopay came out you'd no longer be getting double cash back any way 🙂

? You get 2% on your chosen categories for the Tangerine MC. The regular rate is 1%. For the first three months you get 4% on those chosen categories.

So, if you have lots of recurring payments, it makes sense to use Tangerine's recurrent payment category, as you get double the normal (or quadruple in the first 3 months).

My bad, I was thinking about the "double the double" promo that you get when you first sign up.  I forgot that it's still double cashback for those three categories all the rest of the time as well.

nd

I believe it falls in the 1% category (no category):

Hopefully Tangerine reclassifies PM as a Recurring Bill Payment vendor as I know they do that for Wind. Perhaps if enough people ask Tangerine this might happen?

Eug

@WearySky wrote:

You only get double cash back on recurring payments for the first three months any way, so unless you're on monthly, or sign up for a 90 day plan on the day that you get your Tangerine CC, by the time the second autopay came out you'd no longer be getting double cash back any way 🙂

? You get 2% on your chosen categories for the Tangerine MC. The regular rate is 1%. For the first three months you get 4% on those chosen categories.

So, if you have lots of recurring payments, it makes sense to use Tangerine's recurrent payment category, as you get double the normal (or quadruple in the first 3 months).

Unfortunately, Public Mobile isn't categorized that way. Does anyone know what MC category it fits in?

WearySky

Chaos_Scorpio

@arkw please dont tag mods for general questions, they are only for issues in the background that us common folk dont know. 

arkw

Thanks!

Eug

@arkw wrote:

@Shazia_K

This question is for those who have credit card rewards program for recurring bills (Tangerine CC for me), where you get double cash back on various categories, like recurring bills.

With Koodo, the monthly payments would be under recurring bills, the first Public Mobile charge was not (makes sense, its not a recurring payment off the bat), but with Auto-Pay, does this categorize under recurring bills?

According to the Tangerine thread at RedFlagDeals.com, Public Mobile Autopay does NOT get categorized under recurring bills. I don't know the category it's in though.

clogan2
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

I'm almost certain that others have asked the same question, and the answer was that Tangerine didn't consider it a recurring payment.

Edit: here's the link

http://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/Discussions/Additional-Rewards-question-with-credit-ca...

Need Help? Let's chat.