cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Weird Text

jt97
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

Hi All,

I just got a text from 611 stating: Our system just found an overcharge on your account due to an technical (weird grammar error??) error. Click here to deposit your money (link to interact is posted here).

Once in the link, It shows me the money is from rogers communications and asking me to deposit the money.

Anyone know what this is and if it is real? 

8 REPLIES 8

Thanks @srlawren, that makes sense. I edited my post. 

But out if it happens to be coming from a non 611 number then it's worth reporting it. 

srlawren
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

@Mana the problem is that they have apparently spoofed 611.  Blocking that is probably not a great idea since PM does deliver some messages from it, to the best of my recollection.  And most carriers do, so reporting that back to Google and having it come up as suggested spam may be misleading to other users as well.

>>> ALERT: I am not a moderator. For account or activation assistance, please click here.

@xCameron94x Is right, a couple of days ago someone posted a similar text message they received asking for their bank info to make PM deposit. 

It is definitely a scam. Just delete that message. 

Thanks. 

There's no refund here.  When a company does overcharge, they will almost always just refund using the original payment method, mail you a chequre, or at the very least, send you notice by postal mail.  Why would they need your bank account information to provide you a refund?  - they wouldn't.

Acekiller
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

there has been a lot of scams going around, including the CRA, various cellphone provider etc.  Everyone needs to stay cautious!

jt97
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

Thanks for the help guys. I was thinking it was fake since i do not have any bill near the amount they was offering me. I also clicked around the link and found that the "menu" page was a redirect to bell media. So all of a sudden, i get a text (which should be from public mobile) but the link says money is from rogers (not associated with them for my phone line) then the page is somehow associated with bell media. 

xCameron94x
Mayor / Maire

Someone posted something similar yesterday. It seems like a scam, recommend not clicking the link, or accepting the money

CalvinW
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

No, definitely just another scam/spam message

Need Help? Let's chat.