cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Using Xoom.com No FEE

Naepalm
Mayor / Maire

THIS WILL NOT WORK IF YOU PORTED YOUR NUMBER FROM ANOTHER CARRIER. see below for details.

Hello everyone here is a picture break down of xoom.com where you can reload your phone via this website by using your phone number.

Now if you are using this you have to know you will be inputting lots of personal information, address, phone number, full name. They use this info to make sure it is you. You also need a Paypal account to use this service. 

But if you can see past all those things then you can pay for your Public Mobile service by using a regular bank account you do not need to have a visa debit. This service also provides for scheduled payments. So you could set it up to send a payment to your Public Mobile service every 30 days. 

There are no fees for using this service either. I am not a sales representative or have any affiliation with Xoom this is strictly for information about a product that Public Mobile has said customers could use to pay for their service. And you can opt-in for text alerts once it has been sent. I have used this service today to try it I will keep you updated on its efficiency. 

EDIT: NOTE

1. If you have ported your number from another carrier, the original carrier is listed not Public Mobile. I am currently in talks with Xoom to see how they can fix this but they said it has to do with the issuer of the phone number. So if you originally came from Bell then transferred to Rogers then came to Public the number would still show up as Bell on Xoom.

2. The payment does go through quickly almost instantly, from Xoom. But your carrier takes about 24 to 48 hours to have it show on your account. If you use this service then don't use it last minute. I received a credit on my mom's Bell account for 15.00 because that was her previous provider. Bell will be issuing a cheque. 

3. If you use a credit card for the payment you will be charged a cash advance fee because of the nature of Xoom being a money forwarding service. Do not use a credit card if you do not want to pay a 5.00 fee on top of your top-up. 

4. Overall, a good second option if you have a Public Mobile number and want to use a bank account for payment and are not in a rush. 

See Below:

Screen Shot 2020-06-03 at 2.15.11 PM.png

Screen Shot 2020-06-03 at 2.15.20 PM.png

Screen Shot 2020-06-03 at 2.26.52 PM.png

Screen Shot 2020-06-03 at 2.27.13 PM.png

Screen Shot 2020-06-03 at 2.27.27 PM.png

Screen Shot 2020-06-03 at 2.28.01 PM.png

Screen Shot 2020-06-03 at 2.28.37 PM.png

44 REPLIES 44

Anonymous
Not applicable

Bringing this back to life...I tried out xoom. Upon entering the phone number, it said Telus PIN. Ok...it was originally a Telus #. But for curiosity I tried a PM original number and it said the same thing. Ok...Telus family maybe. I also tried a post-paid Telus number and same again.

So whatever...I soldiered on.

After about an hour I get a text with a 12 digit PIN. So much for instant top-up. So I try to redeem and whadya know...it didn't work. Thanks xoom.

The two people I know on Telus pre-paid have plenty of balance at the moment so they're not needing it. Nerts. I will remove xoom off my 611 info post.

@Nezgar wrote:

Yeah, don't do it unless xoom explicitly shows Public Mobile.

I went through with a transaction with it showing Telus "Telus PIN" and the money did NOT come through. Xoom says they sent the money to Telus and provide a PIN, but it doesn't work. Xoom support is unhelpful and can't refund because they say the money was sent to the carrier. Public Mobile moderators were nice and credited me the $10 as a courtesy, advising in the future to use recharge.com.

So a followup to my previous post. Xoom finally (after 3 tickets) acknowledged on Sep 17 (last ticket opened Sep 2) that I was not able to receive the topup:

Dear Xxxx Xxx,

Thank you so much for contacting us. We reviewed your concern regarding the recipient of your transaction and determined that there was in fact an error. We apologize for the inconvenience and have refunded the full amount including any fees back to your original payment method. Depending on your original payment method it can take up to 30 days for the refund to appear on your financial institution's statement.

Please feel free to contact us if we can be of any further assistance.

Xoom Customer Service

Also, mentioned somewhere previously in this thread is that it is considered a cash advance if you pay with a credit card. I didn't see any cache advance fee at first, so I thought I might be safe - but indeed a $5 fee showed up when my credit card statement was generated...

31/08/2020	01/09/2020	XOOM TORONTO ON		$10.00
01/09/2020	01/09/2020	CASH ADVANCE FEE	$5.00

So, it may be up to a month before I see the credit show up, but I'm not too worried as I am very grateful of Public Mobile's moderators to have credited me for the confusion already. Kudos to them for customer satisfaction!

So to re-iterate: don't use Xoom unless xoom explicitly shows Public Mobile before you complete the transaction. 😁

zoom said it was a public mobile issue not their issue. The carrier has to change the number to affiliate it with them or else it stays with your original provider. Very strange. 

As was already stated if it doesn't say Public Mobile do not proceed it will be sent to your old carrier. 

cheers

@Nezgar if you ported a number over it will not work there is an issue with zoom. They refunded my money after my transaction. Thought it would be another solution but actually PM should remove it as a payment option since it does not work at all for ported numbers. 

@Anonymous  😆 I thought it may have been you but lazy to search threads lol.

Thanks for the explanation on what they asked for your instant top-up.

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Jb456 wrote:

@Anonymous  I am curious though. If this type of payment scenario would affect "Instant topup". Would it be the same outcome? Any ideas?

I forget would posted about instant top up recently. Where they went to a bunch of retailers searching for that option. Most places was the print out voucher and they finally found a place to give the phone number for instant top up. They posted the receipt and Delicious posted it on her voucher thread.

@Jb456 

That was me. I made my own thread in The Lounge. It think it got promoted up. I didn't think it warranted being in Delicious's voucher thread seeing as how it isn't a voucher. Of course I'm not the only person that ever experienced or posted about instant top-ups but I put in my own 2 cents on it anyway.

As for ported numbers and instant top-ups...dunno. They ask for the provider, they ask for the number, they ask for the amount. I gotta think that would link properly. It looks like xoom just asks for the number and makes assumptions. Not sure though.

I wouldn't do it again though due to the extra fee I experienced. Maybe not all do. Dunno.

Jb456
Mayor / Maire

@Anonymous  I am curious though. If this type of payment scenario would affect "Instant topup". Would it be the same outcome? Any ideas?

I forget would posted about instant top up recently. Where they went to a bunch of retailers searching for that option. Most places was the print out voucher and they finally found a place to give the phone number for instant top up. They posted the receipt and Delicious posted it on her voucher thread.

@Anonymous oh I don't need to make a payment lol. Good to next year. Was just reading a bunch of threads last night and came across this one that I found to be interesting. So I logged into my PayPal account to try it for myself.

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Jb456 wrote:

@Anonymous  my bad. Thanks for pointing that out.

@Nezgar  sorry for the tag. I guess you were on my mind haha 

No need for the "my bad". Nezgar apparently also talked to them. So that's three folks who tried it with ported numbers.

Don't...would be the advice.

@Anonymous  my bad. Thanks for pointing that out.

@Naepalm . Any response from your talks?

@Nezgar  sorry for the tag. I guess you were on my mind haha 

What @Naepalm  posted was that you would have had to have chosen a new number when you activated your SIM card with PM to use the no charge feature with Xoom. Stay safe. 

Yeah, don't do it unless xoom explicitly shows Public Mobile.

I went through with a transaction with it showing Telus "Telus PIN" and the money did NOT come through. Xoom says they sent the money to Telus and provide a PIN, but it doesn't work. Xoom support is unhelpful and can't refund because they say the money was sent to the carrier. Public Mobile moderators were nice and credited me the $10 as a courtesy, advising in the future to use recharge.com.

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Jb456 

I think it was @Naepalm that was talking to them as well seeing as how he was the one who found this problem. But he hasn't been around much for a while.

@Nezgar any update on your talks with them?

I tried two of my numbers. One I got from PM (not a port) says Telus. Other one makes sense as I got it from Petro Mobile so it says Rogers.

No option to change provider voucher on Xoom.

Screenshot_20200904_030049.jpg

Screenshot_20200904_025934.jpg

@Paddle8 wrote:

My number shows up as Telus, will it work? I didn't port over I got the number from Public. 

Well... I just tested a $10 transaction to my wife's number which was originally Telus PAYG, then ported to Public... It came up as "Telus PIN" in xoom and I didn't think anything of it (Since Public Mobile is Telus...) But the SMS that came through to the phone said to dial #123 (Which works with Telus PAYG.. not Public Mobile) and a 12 digit pin which doesn't work with public mobile when I tried via Self-serve or 611.

What a stinker. Opened a ticket 20 mins later to see if they can cancel the transaction. Will post with an update.

Paddle8
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

My number shows up as Telus, will it work? I didn't port over I got the number from Public. 

@fdrcamb519 

You will need to contact xoom, They are fairly quick. You will get a PIN from them and they will ask you to contact your carrier. 

What a pain, sorry.

fdrcamb519
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

@Naepalm wrote:

@Ndesai  yeah that is exactly what I found.

@fdrcamb519 My payment went through, but it went through to the wrong carrier. What carrier showed up when you made your payment? It will also show if the transaction was successful or not in your account. 

When i put my number I get this message "This number isn't in our carrier network. Would you like to reload a different number? Even though the PM shows as one of the carriers!!!!!!!!!!!

BearFBI

@Naepalm I tried using Zoom in the past but gave up as my number is under Rogers. I cant change it to Public Mobile. Same goes with my Parents. Their number started from bell then to Rogers, Then to Public. It still shows its a Bell number. They were with Rogers for 4 years then moved to PM. The number is still Bell. It dosent change overtime. It makes their service usless to people who ported their numbers. 

@Ndesai  yeah that is exactly what I found.

@fdrcamb519 My payment went through, but it went through to the wrong carrier. What carrier showed up when you made your payment? It will also show if the transaction was successful or not in your account. 

@Anonymous wrote:

@fdrcamb519 wrote:

@Naepalm 

I tried xoom to top up phone not working, did it work for you

There's this thread that he actually made on this subject. Did you port your number from elsewhere? Maybe an Oracle or retiree could shuffle these posts over. Or not. 🙂

moved: not realated to the topic of the original thread

Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks computergeek541 🙂

vvv

fdrcamb519

@Naepalm 

I tried xoom to top up phone not working, did it work for you

@Naepalm  wrote:

1. If you have ported your number from another carrier, the original carrier is listed not Public Mobile. I am currently in talks with Xoom to see how they can fix this but they said it has to do with the issuer of the phone number. So if you originally came from Bell then transferred to Rogers then came to Public the number would still show up as Bell on Xoom.

2. The payment does go through quickly almost instantly, from Xoom. But your carrier takes about 24 to 48 hours to have it show on your account. If you use this service then don't use it last minute. I received a credit on my mom's Bell account for 15.00 because that was her previous provider. Bell will be issuing a cheque.  

Thanks for the update. 
I also contacted them regarding this issue without placing an order. They wanted to see a screenshot, so i provided that with the phone number hidden. Then they told me they will investigate, but they need the number. I am not willing to do that. So i simply said, it's your system so investigate and fix it. They are basically using a list of carrier codes. Whatever matches, system automatically picks that carrier. This could be pretty simple to fix. Just allow us to choose the carrier instead of their system doing it automatically. I doubt they will make this change, but this service is useless for those who ported their numbers to PM. 

@Naepalm I tried to use my PayPal credit card. I guess they are no charges then if you transfer directly from your bank account. Stay safe. 

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Naepalm wrote:
Changed the heading on the post message 🙂

I was meaning Xoom should 🙂

So I didn't misunderstand. That's nuts. Surely they must be getting all kinds of complaints wondering where their instant top-ups went. All the more reason for me not to like these kinds of services.

Changed the heading on the post message 🙂

@gblackma with xoom you have to use a Paypal account then select either credit card or bank account linked to your account. Or do you mean you tried to use your funds in your Paypal account? Xoom will not credit back the money sent to the provider you chose if that's what you meant by "Do you have any idea what the charges will be when they add them back in?"

Sorry what charges are you talking about here?

Also, this would be only used for those that want to use a bank account as payment is my thinking. 

Thanks for the update @Naepalm, I tried to use PayPal.  Maybe thats why they were charging me $2.50  on a $10 top up. 2 days. Then this can't be used in an emergency. Do you have any idea what the charges will be when they add them back in? Thanks in advance.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Nice update.

#2.  I wonder if all the immediate top-up services work the same. Maybe that should be in big bold letters. IF YOU PORTED YOUR NUMBER TO ANOTHER PROVIDER THEN THIS WON'T WORK kinda thing.

Unless of course I misunderstood.

Need Help? Let's chat.