cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Using Vanilla Mastercard for payment

JL9
Mayor / Maire

Does anyone know if prepaid vanilla Mastercards would work for payment?

19 REPLIES 19

Carrieellen87
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

Oh wow, really?? Well whatever works than!!!

The last time I bought a prepaid Visa to use for online purchases has been a couple years.

Maybe since there's no shipping/delivery and just categorized as a bill payment it isn't necessary, or perhaps they don't away with requiring registration all together .

Thanks @Anonymous for the info

@Anonymous wrote:

@Carrieellen87 

I've been only interested in using these cards here and particularly "anonymously". I found that I don't need to log in or register anything with the card...just enter it in to this place and it works fine. I then keep Available Funds up by other means and enjoy the $2 reward.

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Carrieellen87 

I've been only interested in using these cards here and particularly "anonymously". I found that I don't need to log in or register anything with the card...just enter it in to this place and it works fine. I then keep Available Funds up by other means and enjoy the $2 reward.

Carrieellen87
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

I do know that if you log into the website on the back of the prepaid vanilla Visa or MasterCard and register the card simply with a postal code or your mailing address it is than able to be used for any online payments such as paying public mobile.  The following link brings you to the log in page where you enter your card info than the page that follows will allow you to register your card

https://www.vanillaprepaid.com/VanillaPrepaid/home.html?csrfToken=6uZQRxxtu2JWE8l9EcxfhjNbIG82bWJM

@JL9 wrote:

Does anyone know if prepaid vanilla Mastercards would work for payment?

Anonymous
Not applicable

Thread necro...again...

I have now tried the Visa Gift card and Mastercard Gift card from Peoples Trust.

I have also tried Vanilla branded cards again. There seems to be something a little different about them. But they all work. The Vanilla ones even have a longer expiry and don't take monthly fees after a year. And curiously, they're also "underwritten" by Peoples Trust.

None of these are the reloadable type.

No sign up. No registration. For here, I simply put in my real address as with the profile. Re-do Autopay and all seems ready to go.

Edit: I see. I went to MyVanilla and it's more about reloadable. That's the one I tried unsuccessfully. But they ARE directly related to just Vanilla. They seem to be all the same company. They show the various card options on their site.

Anonymous
Not applicable

So to give this a little update...I found a Visa gift card set-amount type of card at a Home Depot and tried it here and it worked.

It appears to be underwritten by something called People's Trust. I did nothing with it. Just straight out of the packaging.

I also saw another Vanilla branded Visa card at a PetroCan that I chose not to try as the lack of success with the Vanilla Mastercard I tried before didn't work.

But maybe as krazykiwi said in another thread like this...the Visa gift cards might possibly be acting differently.

Maybe some day I'll try that out.

I could also try out the kind of gift card that RobertQc talked about where you choose an amount instead of a set amount.

I’m still using mine.  Get to see movies and eat out a bit more often with the rewards lol!

Anonymous
Not applicable

Fantastic thank you. I'll look for it when I'm by a CanadaPost next.

@Anonymous wrote:

@RobertQc wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@RobertQc

Here you go. And the Bravos. 🙂

That is interesting about the CanadaPost one. Did you have to register it and supply an address and some kind of identity? Or are you remaining anonymous?

@AnonymousNope! I didn't have to do anything. I can put in any random address and name and it works.

Into the card site or here (and both)?

@AnonymousI never registered it, I have heard you need to log into the gift card company and register a name and address then when making a purchase you need to match up that info but for some reason I don't have to with the Canada Post one. The funny thing is, it says right on the package "You must register this card at www.mybalance.ca" ... nope! I sure didn't. I literally went to Canada post, gave them the face value in cash (+5.95 fee), ripped open the package and it was good to go tried on multiple auto-payment processing sites, and multiple online purchases with any inputted address it works.

IMG_20181221_001638.jpg

@AnonymousI uploaded a pic. It seems to be by "zenwallet"

Anonymous
Not applicable

@RobertQc wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@RobertQc

That is interesting about the CanadaPost one. Did you have to register it and supply an address and some kind of identity? Or are you remaining anonymous?

@AnonymousNope! I didn't have to do anything. I can put in any random address and name and it works.

Into the card site or here (and both)?

Edit: And to add...do you have a link to the specific product that you got from CanadaPost?

Edit again: Is it the same one on their site now branded as CanadaPost and serviced by Vancity? Edit: It does say recurring payments allowed so maybe not.

Edit: The Mastercard one says not allowed.

@Anonymous wrote:

@RobertQc

Anonymous
Not applicable

@RobertQc

@Anonymous wrote:

@RobertQc wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

On the idea from RobertQc

@AnonymousWhat, you forget how to tag good sir? 😉

No sir. Just didn't want to pester you with a notification pop up and red blob. 🙂

@AnonymousIt's so dead here tonight, I keep logging in, in hopes of being pestered. 😛

But all I get is .... *crickets* ...

Anonymous
Not applicable

@RobertQc wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

No sir. Just didn't want to pester you with a notification pop up and red blob. 🙂

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

Please excuse the thread necro...but hey I used the search.

On the idea from RobertQc to use a prepaid "credit card" (he likes one that is available from CanadaPost) for autopay I found this MyVanilla Mastercard at a 7-Eleven. Costs 6 bucks for the privilege.

Reading the fine print as one does 🙂 I came across the policy around recurring payments not being allowed. I saw that I could sign up for the reloadable type. I went there. You can't stay anonymous. I don't know what they link to to verify you. I put in a fake birthdate. Maybe the credit bureau I dunno.

Reading the same policies of a gift card type "credit card" at my bank it has the same thing.

One can register with MyVanilla and supply your left nut/ovary and they'll send a reloadable card that is now (as will13am is saying above) linked to an identified person and an address.

My bank also offers a reloadable type card which is also linked to a person and an address.

I assume stonechucker's Scotiabank reloadable card has the same identified person/address.

So...I will get one of the reloadable ones next week from my bank and see if it works.

will13am I think has the key. It's all about the linked identity/address. Apparently the world of finance doesn't like anonymous purchasers. Identify yourself and have some kind of an acceptable address and I suspect you're fine.

I wonder how many people try here with anonymous "credit cards" and find that it fails and they apparently didn't know this requirement. I got the same credit card problem that everybody comes here to complain about. Because there's no linked address. The card is an anonymous purchasing vehicle.

I'm sure it has to do with money laundering and such and there are probably laws and regulations but here we are.

Anyway...there's an update on the MyVanilla Mastercard.

@AnonymousInterestingly enough, the canada post one says right on it "Not for recurring payments" but I think somehow the systems confuse it as a "visa debit" card so it works.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Please excuse the thread necro...but hey I used the search.

On the idea from RobertQc to use a prepaid "credit card" (he likes one that is available from CanadaPost) for autopay I found this MyVanilla Mastercard at a 7-Eleven. Costs 6 bucks for the privilege.

Reading the fine print as one does 🙂 I came across the policy around recurring payments not being allowed. I saw that I could sign up for the reloadable type. I went there. You can't stay anonymous. I don't know what they link to to verify you. I put in a fake birthdate. Maybe the credit bureau I dunno.

Reading the same policies of a gift card type "credit card" at my bank it has the same thing.

One can register with MyVanilla and supply your left nut/ovary and they'll send a reloadable card that is now (as will13am is saying above) linked to an identified person and an address.

My bank also offers a reloadable type card which is also linked to a person and an address.

I assume stonechucker's Scotiabank reloadable card has the same identified person/address.

So...I will get one of the reloadable ones next week from my bank and see if it works.

will13am I think has the key. It's all about the linked identity/address. Apparently the world of finance doesn't like anonymous purchasers. Identify yourself and have some kind of an acceptable address and I suspect you're fine.

I wonder how many people try here with anonymous "credit cards" and find that it fails and they apparently didn't know this requirement. I got the same credit card problem that everybody comes here to complain about. Because there's no linked address. The card is an anonymous purchasing vehicle.

I'm sure it has to do with money laundering and such and there are probably laws and regulations but here we are.

Anyway...there's an update on the MyVanilla Mastercard.

Alright well good to know. I will wait and see if Alan has some clarification.

Thanks again, guys.

@stonechucker wrote:

Once again, I’m using a prepaid, Reloadable Visa card.  It is issued by ScotiaBank.

It works with the AutoPay and one time payment options.

I stand corrected.  @Alan_K, please consider clarifying in the knowledge base that prepaid credit cards are accepted.  

Once again, I’m using a prepaid, Reloadable Visa card.  It is issued by ScotiaBank.

It works with the AutoPay and one time payment options.

will13am
Oracle
Oracle

I believe the answer is no.  According to the applicable knowledge base, the credit card must be issued by a Canadian or American financial institution to a Canadian or American address.  There's no address associated with prepaid cards.  

http://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/Knowledge-Base/Getting-Started/ta-p/162

Need Help? Let's chat.