cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Unauthorized credit card charges for Mobile Protection Plan

pissedoff
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

I have only recently discovered that since July 2015 my credit card has beed charged monthy for some sort of mobile protection plan. The transaction code appears as:

ESH*ESH*MOBILE PROTECT 855-562-1955 ON

A quick internet search reveals that I am one of dozens of individuals who have reported unauthorized charges by the company providing the plan -- eSecuritel. 

When I reported this fraud to the bank, I was informed that eSecuritel was billing my card through Public Mobile.  I have never enrolled in any such mobile protection plan..

I do, in fact,  have a Public Mobile phone, but it is a pay-as-you-go $25 per month plan. However, I have never had any sort of continuing payment plan.

Further,  I NEVER agreed to, nor did I authorize Public Mobile to enrol me in this "mobile protection" scheme. I expect you to contact eSecuritel immediately and cancel the enrolment and all charges immediately.

Please provide confirmation within 24 hours that you have de-registered me from this plan, as well as when I may expect a full refund of all past charges, which have been $7.90 per month from July 2015 - March 2016 inclusive.

I was forced to post this on the discussion board since you make it impossible to contact a representative by phone or by direct email

14 REPLIES 14

srlawren
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

@computergeek541 good point.  Typically I think you're obligated to report any unauthorized charges within a certain period of time after your statement.  90 days is coming to mind but I could be way off base here.

>>> ALERT: I am not a moderator. For account or activation assistance, please click here.

For something such an unauthorized charge, the credit card issuer may only be willing to reverse the charges going back a certain amount of time.  Depending the terms of service wiht your credit card company, waiting  a certain amount of time before saying anything may validate the charges as being accepted by you. 

imm1304

@keldun

You will have to contact the party thats billing you, or the party that signed you up to this protection plan, which I assume was Fido.  

Failing that, you can dispute the charges and instruct your credit card company to stop any future payments to this company.  Make it known that you have never consented to this and are a victim of fraud.  

keldun

I've had the same problem for a year now. I had bought a phone/contract from Fido. About a month later, I had to go overseas for work. I went to Fido and asked them to unlock my phone so I could use it overseas. They said 'no' because I hadn't had my contract with them long enough. BUT, then they sent me to the next kiosk over (in a mall) and said, 'If you go talk to that guy, he'll unlock it for you for $60.' Being that it was Fido staff that recommended this, I trusted them. In the end, when I got overseas, the code I was given didn't work and ESH* ESH Mobile has been taking money ($12.) out of my account since October 2016. I too did not sign anything to give permission to take money from my account. For the last year, I have been paying a monthly bill to 2 phone companies for a phone that was useless to me. I can't seem to connect with anyone to stop this problem. Any help would be most appreciated. 

Yes, those protection plans can be tricky. Bit like Freedompop's language to the effect it's FREE for x months, and (in fine print) you will be billed $y/month unless you notify us to cancell/change your plan. Telco's used to get away with that kind of thing until CRTC stepped in. Smiley Sad

>>> ALERT: I am not a CSA. Je ne suis pas un Agent du soutien à la clientèle.

I suppose it's possible there was some sort of deal where the protection plan was free for the first year? I know @pissedoff mentioned that the charges only started appearing since July 2015.

@pissedoff Was the phone purchased from PM during the 2014 transition to Telus? If so, you, or the original owner, may have purchased a protection plan.

>>> ALERT: I am not a CSA. Je ne suis pas un Agent du soutien à la clientèle.

@pissedoff If I were you, I'd complain to my card issuer in writing about being misinformed by their representative. What's the point of having a merchant information ("ESH*ESH*MOBILE PROTECT 855-562-1955 ON") displayed on the charge, if they will tell you the charge came from an entirely different company instead?

pissedoff

Thanks for the various reponses.

It was Mastercard disputes dept. who informed me the charges were incurred though Public Mobile.

So I'll just cancel the card and let them investigate.

DK
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

@pissedoff Who were you with prior to Public Mobile? 

Thanks

Jeremy_M
Retraité / Retired
Retraité / Retired

@pissedoff

I'm sorry to hear about your situation. As the others have mentioned - Public Mobile does not offer any mobile protection service.

If you would like, you can call their toll-free number and inquire about the charges 1-866-281-4537

I hope this helps?

Jeremy

imm1304

Hey @pissedoff,

To add to @7789849803's comments, I have been with PM for 8 months and never heard of this mobile protection plan. 

This sounds like insurance for a mobile phone.  Public Mobile doesn't sell mobile phones.. its a BYOP company.  Please look into your recent mobile phone purchases and also wait for a PM staff to provide an official comment.  

@pissedoff Perhaps this is a program you were inadvertently enrolled in when buying a phone from somewhere? Did you make a phone purchase in the last few months?

Mayor / Maire

@pissedoff PM does not offer, nor charge for, any such service.

You can contact a PM representative by clicking on the Contact Us link at the bottom of this page.

Need Help? Let's chat.