cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

US roaming

Lori287
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

Everytime I purchase US roaming it doesn't work.  I then get in touch with a team moderator and they try to get it going usually with some success.  It works for a couple of days and then boom it stops and I have to get in touch with them again.  I have attempted to contact a team moderator 4 times now in the past 3 days without any success.  Does anybody actually give help right now? I am so frustrated that if I don't hear back I will cancel.  This US roaming is bull**bleep**.  I don't know what the problem would be that they can't get it going properly when you purchase the add on.

34 REPLIES 34

pckku
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

I am so glad I read this post. I also thought I bought the $8 US Roaming for 200 minutes and tried all things to make the calls. However, I am getting the message that my plan do not have roaming.  Checked my account and viola, I purchased the wrong $8 long distance calls to US for 200 minutes.  It is soooo confusing and I am sure lots of people will picked the wrong options.  After I bought the right US Roaming, everything works!!!

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Lori287 wrote:

I am in the US until April

On Dec. 20th, your plan renewed. Just in time for all the seasonal calls. If people called your number then you would have consumed your 50 minutes probably pretty quickly. I'm not sure of this but even with the $10 plan, you should be able to call them. But they wouldn't be able to call you or your voicemail.

@Lori287:

Edit: Sorry for the update/correction. But now with the 200 minute add-on they should be able to call your voicemail. But not having any roaming right now they won't be able to find you.

Lori287

I am in the US until April

Carld123
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

@Lori287 wrote:

Thank you for your help.  This seems to be good.  My only problem now is that my phone is not working in Canada.  I have an Alcatel Idol 4 which I did get the okay that it was good.  My phone worked fine in Canada but major problems since being in the States.

@Lori287

If you are back in Canada now and no service check your network settings..after your issues in the US its possible you changed something..

Lori287

Thanks for  you help

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Carld123 wrote:

@Lori287

Hi Lori...looks like you purchased the wrong add on..you have listed the Canada/US long distance minutes(200 min for 8$)..not the roaming add on...

@Lori287

Yes. It looks like you've confused things a couple times. Now, maybe you should delete your images because they have personal info all over the place. Or edit them and re-upload.

As for busy signals and no voicemails...you're on the 50 minute plan and your minutes aren't showing up along with your texts. That would indicate that you've used your 50 minutes.

Lori287

Thank you for your help.  This seems to be good.  My only problem now is that my phone is not working in Canada.  I have an Alcatel Idol 4 which I did get the okay that it was good.  My phone worked fine in Canada but major problems since being in the States.

Carld123

@Lori287

If you purchase the add on at the bottom of the list in the pic you should be good to go..and the 200 min add on you already purchased will roll over and you have xtra minutes when in Canada.Also your email is visible in your screenshot..would be a good idea to get that deleted from the post..Screenshot_2019-01-06-08-57-23.png

Carld123

@Lori287

Hi Lori...looks like you purchased the wrong add on..you have listed the Canada/US long distance minutes(200 min for 8$)..not the roaming add on...

Lori287

83238EFE-7ABD-4296-9E76-79EB81AE071A.png6DE7313A-7A12-46A0-B566-66B6F2B34628.png

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Lori287 wrote:

So, when I call my number, and yes it is now public, xxxxxxxxxx all I get is a busy signal.  Then if I try to call out it says I don't have US roaming.. Try my number and see what happens.  I am paid up and I am active.

I'm in the states at a hotel with ridiculous phone charges and I did not buy roaming add-ons and nor will I. Pass. Maybe someone else in Canada can test your number for you?

I sure hope you have long since pm'd the moderators.

What exact model of phone do you have?

@Lori287, no one is suggesting you are stupid, we are simply trying to assist.

Please post a screenshot as requested of your overview page so we can better assist, and please edit your post to remove your phone number as it a violation of the Community forum rules to post personal info here.

Long visits to the US and using Public Mobile, is more expensive than getting a local sim, and activating a local plan.  You may wish to look into this.

Lori287

So, when I call my number, all I get is a busy signal.  Then if I try to call out it says I don't have US roaming.. Try my number and see what happens.  I am paid up and I am active.

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Lori287 wrote:

I am not stupid of course I know when I buy it that it is for 10 days.  This too is a pain having to repurchase all the time.  

@Lori287

Would you be able to post a screenshot of your overview page? Blank out personal info of course.

I agree with srlawren above...this is a ridiculously expensive way to have phone service for snowbirds. It would be far less expensive to get a local SIM and then subscribe to a service like Fongo and forward your calls to the Fongo # and then forward the Fongo to your US number.

Lori287

I am not stupid of course I know when I buy it that it is for 10 days.  This too is a pain having to repurchase all the time.  

srlawren
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

@stonechucker wrote:

@Lori287, did you say you’re in the US for about 6 months?  You left Oct 28, and you’re returning in April?

You do realize the roaming plans are only 10 day long periods of time, then you need to buy them again?

Are you expecting them to last 30 days?

@stonechucker nice catch!  Wow I'm not sure how but I totally missed that reply from @Lori287 with the dates in it.  I think you've nailed the problem.

@Lori287 the add-ons are only for 10 days at a time.  They're meant for short vacations or business trips, not for snowbirds.  You would have to keep purchasing every 10 days if you want to keep using the US Roaming add-ons.

>>> ALERT: I am not a moderator. For account or activation assistance, please click here.

@Lori287, did you say you’re in the US for about 6 months?  You left Oct 28, and you’re returning in April?

You do realize the roaming plans are only 10 day long periods of time, then you need to buy them again?

Are you expecting them to last 30 days?

Lori287

yes it is active

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Lori287 wrote:

No I can't take incoming calls without US roaming

I think that was more of a question for me.

But is your account showing as active? Callers should at least be able to leave a VM regardless of whether they can find you.

Lori287

No I can't take incoming calls without US roaming

srlawren

@Anonymous wrote:

I also don't know if I will get any surprise charges but I kinda doubt it as that is not a thing of this service.

@Anonymous you won't because it's not possible for the system to charge you for something in the past. 

@Anonymous wrote:

I'm in the states. I did not get any roaming add-ons. I have connected to AT&T and turned on roaming. I can receive texts and calls and calls can go to voicemail. No outgoing.

Are you saying you can take incoming calls without a US Roaming Talk add-on??!!

>>> ALERT: I am not a moderator. For account or activation assistance, please click here.

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Lori287 wrote:

When I try to dial out it says I do not have US roaming set up.  Yes I have tried all of your suggested solutions.  When friends try calling me they say nothing happens and they can't get through even to leave a voicemail.

Is your account here active? I'm in the states. I did not get any roaming add-ons. I have connected to AT&T and turned on roaming. I can receive texts and calls and calls can go to voicemail. No outgoing. I don't know if it was necessary to turn on roaming. I also don't know if I will get any surprise charges but I kinda doubt it as that is not a thing of this service.

The stated policy here is that you need a talk component to buy roaming add-ons but that has been shown to be not true in actuality.

srlawren

@Lori287 I'm not sure what else to suggest at this point unfortunately.  😞

Lori287

When I try to dial out it says I do not have US roaming set up.  Yes I have tried all of your suggested solutions.  When friends try calling me they say nothing happens and they can't get through even to leave a voicemail.

srlawren

@Lori287 wrote:

Just calling I don't take the data.

@Lori287 so when you say it stops working after a few days, what are they symptoms?  What happens if you try to make an outbound call?  When someone calls you, does it go straight to your voicemail?  What have you tried in the way of troubleshooting?  For example, have you tried rebooting the phone?  Have you tried turning off automatic network selection and instead manually choosing AT&T or T-Mobile?

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Lori287- yes, you could go with another provider, and pay $15 more a month.  You would likely also pay quite a bit more for US roaming...

Lori287

I am thinking that a lot of people have a lot of problems with this.  When I purchased and was only in Canada everything was fine.  It is being in the States that sucks.  Because the moderators are very slow to respond I think that they must lose a lot of customers.  I could go to another supplier and pay maybe $15.00 more a month but would be able to use the phone without all this hassle.  Guess that is my only option.

Lori287

Just calling I don't take the data.

Lori287

I don't think it is the phone because it works for a couple of days then stops.

Lori287

I left Canda on the 28th of Oct and had purchased the add on 27th.  Needless to say it didn't work when I crossed the border.  I have now purchased 3xs and always have a problem.  I am in the States until April so really it is becoming a very big nuisance to me.

Need Help? Let's chat.