cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

US DATA Add-On

Melissasallis
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

I am in Canada but am travelling to the US on September 9th. My plan renews Sept 3. Can I add the add on (for US data) right before I leave or do I have to do it before my plan renews? Thank you!

8 REPLIES 8

mikewest
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

I thought once the add on was purchased, in the "Add Ons Tab" there would be additional configuration as to when to start it. Of course, now I know, and next time will purchase it the day before. I just didn't want to leave things until the last minute in case there were issues adding it and not being able to deal with it before I left (for instance yesterday after I added the addon I was getting a "Generic Error" message on the Add On Tab that was resolved today when I logged in.

srlawren
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

@ShawnC13 wrote:

This isn't ROAM mobility so why would you think it was same?  There are many many threads here that state how and when the US addon is activated and the process to purchase it.

@mikewest you didn't notice while purchasing that it didn't ask for a start date and duration like Roam Mobility does?  😞

>>> ALERT: I am not a moderator. For account or activation assistance, please click here.

@mikewest wrote:

Ohhhh geez. I just read this now about the US Data Addon activating immediatley. I bought it yesterday but don't need it until the 14th but I wanted to make sure everything was good before I head down. Why can't they have an activation date like ROAM mobility and others or activate when you actually start to roam. So frustrating to know I've lost d days of my 10. Th eonly saving grace is I'm down there for 14 days so was going to need another 10 days, but still, they need to improve this.

This isn't ROAM mobility so why would you think it was same?  There are many many threads here that state how and when the US addon is activated and the process to purchase it.

I am happy to help, but I am not a Customer Support Agent please do not include any personal info in a message to me. Click HERE to create a trouble ticket through SIMon the Chatbot *

mikewest
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

Ohhhh geez. I just read this now about the US Data Addon activating immediatley. I bought it yesterday but don't need it until the 14th but I wanted to make sure everything was good before I head down. Why can't they have an activation date like ROAM mobility and others or activate when you actually start to roam. So frustrating to know I've lost d days of my 10. Th eonly saving grace is I'm down there for 14 days so was going to need another 10 days, but still, they need to improve this.

Thanks @smp99, I edited my post!

smp99
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

Just to be clear. The unlimited Cda and USA calling plans have nothing to do travelling to the US. Those plans are for calling to the US from Cda, not making calls from within the US.  

I gather her you know this already but one of the replies may have mislead you. You want to buy a US roaming add on just before you leave. 

Effort
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

@Melissasallis wrote:

I am in Canada but am travelling to the US on September 9th. My plan renews Sept 3. Can I add the add on (for US data) right before I leave or do I have to do it before my plan renews? Thank you!

You should do it right before you leave because the time start ticking as soon as you buy it.

Someone_here
Mayor / Maire

It's better to get the add-on just when you leave, because it's valid for 10 days only, and the counter starts right when you buy it. The add-on is not linked with plan renewal.

Depending on the time of your flight, the direction you are travelling, availability of Wifi at your destination airport/hotel, your need of data, the total lenght of your trip, etc, you may want to wait until you arrive to buy the add-on to gain an extra day. The add-on is good for 10 calendar day, which mean it expires at midnigth eastern time 10 days after activation. So if you can (and need an extra day) it's better to activate it in the early morning (again, according to eastern time) rather than in the late evening.

(however, if you were to change your plan for unlimited Canada-wide + US talk, then you would need to plan it it advance: plan change->on next renewal date). EDITED: While technically true, in this context this sentence wrongly suggest that unlimited Canada-wide + US talk can be used in the USA.

Need Help? Let's chat.