cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Trying to make payment with Mastercard Debit Unsuccessful

ansahme
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

I am trying to make a payment on my suspended account using my very valid BMO Mastercard debit card. It is not working and I do not know why. I need to reactivate my account ASAP. I thought the problem might be that I did not previously register my debit card. The instructions given to my by your robochat helper did not help. When I go to self serve and click on the payment tab, there is no option to manage or register my debit card.

11 REPLIES 11

@Anonymous wrote:

Great testing/verifying there @dabr . I think the Mastercard Debit side mentions Public Mobile somewhere. It's odd that it's not mentioned here. But of course maybe I shouldn't be surprised. 🙂

@Anonymous    Yes, I know PM is mentioned as one of the vendors/payee on the MC Debit card on some list.   I think it's unfortunate that PM won't update their payment options, but then not really surprising either as you said!

Edit:  Now I've got "re-replace" this card again, as my preferred option to make payments is a CC to earn cash/rewards!  😊

Anonymous
Not applicable

Great testing/verifying there @dabr . I think the Mastercard Debit side mentions Public Mobile somewhere. It's odd that it's not mentioned here. But of course maybe I shouldn't be surprised. 🙂

dabr
Mayor / Maire

@ansahme wrote:

I am trying to make a payment on my suspended account using my very valid BMO Mastercard debit card. It is not working and I do not know why. I need to reactivate my account ASAP. I thought the problem might be that I did not previously register my debit card. The instructions given to my by your robochat helper did not help. When I go to self serve and click on the payment tab, there is no option to manage or register my debit card.

@ansahme    Did you finally manage to add your BMO Debit MC and make a payment?

I just did a test after receiving my BMO Debit MC and had no problem adding (replacing card option used) the card and then made a manual payment of $5 which appears in the account balance. 

ATM I don't see the debit charge on my chequing account, but then I'm not sure how long it takes for the bank to update the accounts. 

Anyway, this question about PM's acceptance of the MC Debit comes up often and I wanted to confirm if it actually does or not as there seems to be no official recognition of it being accepted on PM's payment options, but has been confirmed by a few customers previously as being successfully used as a payment card.

esjliv
Mayor / Maire

@ansahme wrote:

@ansahme 

Do you see this??

Manage AutoPay or update/change your credit card on your account see “Manage my card” the bottom left of your Payment TAB screen:

esjliv_0-1617792002121.png

­­­If you have no services can you try making a payment by calling 611?

If you have services? Then, this could be your account going through the normal renewal process. The SELF SERVE account can say "expired" or "suspended" on the day of or before your plan is due to renew. So if this is the case, ignore these messages on your SELF SERVE account.

gpixel
Mayor / Maire

@ansahme 

login to self serve

do not remove your registered card

click on "payment" tab
click the "preferred payment type"
choose "other, enter the desired amount" and manually type in your total plan amount and make a payment. 
go back to your "overview" tab and click the "reactivate" button 
restart your phone

skf
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

You said you may not have registered that card; maybe try using whatever payment method you originally used, or see if you can have your account unsuspended first. Good luck!

Anonymous
Not applicable

Mastercard Debit is unofficial as indeed some have reported it working. But maybe it's institution dependent.

@ansahme 

Its possible that @whyveeare is correct even though there are threads saying it is accepted the official help articles say it is not.

https://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/Knowledge-Base/Self-Serve-Account-Management/ta-p/245...

I am also having difficulty getting the new kelloggs $5 mastercard gift cards to be accepted for payment at pm. ( And elsewhere....sometimes I can add them for a method of payment sometimes not but I am yet to get a vendor to accept the payment at all.......grrrrrr!)

whyveeare
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

@ansahme , I believe that only Visa Debit is accepted for payment.  Not MasterCard Debit.  Unless something has changed recently.

darlicious
Mayor / Maire

@ansahme 

Use this as a guide...

Follow this method when making a manual payment/adding a card to the account....only use the emboldened portion of the instructions if the payment card is already on file.

1. Reboot your device.
  2. Clear your browser, use secret/incognito mode in firefox, chrome or safari.
  3. Choose replace card rather than remove card.
  4. Copy your address from your billing statement.
  5. Add your apt/unit/suite # to the street address. ie. 101-123 1ST AVE W, CITY, PROV.
  6. Do not put a space in the postal code. X0X0X0 not X0X 0X0.
  7. USE ALL CAPS if necessary.
  8. Do not use autofill. Type everything manually.

Once you successfully update your card do not attempt your payment immediately. Log out/in then go to make a payment to pay for your renewal. Otherwise if you were not suspended I would recommend a $1 test payment. Follow my further instructions for a successful payment to unsuspend your account.

Do not try more than two attempts at adding a card or payments ( successful or not) or you will continue to get this message. Wait at least 1 hour to try a third time another hour for your 5th try....and so on....and do not make more than 4 unsuccessful tries with the same card in a 24 hour period or you will trigger a fraud alert lock out requiring assistance from the moderators.

Go to make a payment. Choose the "other amount" option and add $1 more than the amount owing and submit the payment. If that is successful go back to your overview page and if it does not say active  click on the reactivate button. If that works log out and reboot. If that does not work and your payment is in your balance rather than showing $1 then go to the usage or plans page. Click on lost/stolen and suspend your service. Log out/in. Resume your service. Your balance should now be $1. Log out and reboot

HALIMACS
Mayor / Maire

@ansahme 

When updating credit card info, make sure to do the following to avoid the common errors and glitches that sometimes occur with this fussy process:

1.  Wait 1 hour
  2. Clear your browser's cache & cookies
  3. Use incognito mode
  4. Select "Manage My Card"
  5. Select "replace card"
  6. Type your address exactly as from your billing statement
  7.  Don't use a space in the postal code
  8.  Use ALL CAPS if necessary
  9.  Type everything, not letting autofill complete any fields

Need Help? Let's chat.