cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Topped up account $99 but charged me $111.87

brandkwill
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

It said I was topping up by $99 but it authorized $111.87 on my visa card. Why am I getting secretly overbilled?

13 REPLIES 13

When you pay with your credit thru your account  you are shown the pre-tax amount and then the taxes in the subtotal and then the total including taxes and then you submit payment after you look at and approve the payment. With autopay the after tax amount appears on your statement. When purchasing a voucher or instant top up you ask for voucher/top up amount and the tax is added to the amount and that is what you pay at the register. Only autopay does not directly tell you the after tax amount because you have not given yourself the opportunity to approve the charge by choosing that method instead you have agreed to it by using that service. There is no option with any provider on a prepaid or postpaid service to not pay taxes unless you are first nations or have diplomatic immunity.

Seems like a good way to do prepaid where you pay tax on the top up funds up front and then there is NO taxes confusing all the amounts in the Self Serve area.... just the actual charges for services. Very straight forward and clear IMHO at least.

AE_Collector

GinYVR
Mayor / Maire

@brandkwill 

Screen Shot 2019-11-04 at 5.20.47 PM.png

The fine print when you do a one time payment

@Ed404 wrote:

@dabr wrote:

There are usually taxes to pay on top of your plan amount?

Looks like you pay 13% tax rate which makes it $111.87.

Why does Public Mobile charge tax on adding funds? That's just weird, never seen that before.

All cell companies add tax on prepaid top ups.  Taxes aren"t included in price. If they don't charge tax on top up, tax would be added to plan amount and you would have to buy a higher top up. That works to be the same.

@chukdefatey wrote:

@will13am wrote:

@Ed404 wrote:

@dabr wrote:

Why does Public Mobile charge tax on adding funds? That's just weird, never seen that before.

Death and taxes my friend...  It would be weird if there was no tax collected.  

LoL, You even pay taxes after you die in BC.  There is GST on Funeral Services and on the Casket.  Original Poster must be new in Canada.

ON charges HST, even worse.  Don't forget eligible taxes on the estate.  Think again about not being able to afford to live.  For this reason I want to live forever.  

@chukdefatey wrote:

@will13am wrote:LoL, You even pay taxes after you die in BC.  There is GST on Funeral Services and on the Casket.  Original Poster must be new in Canada.

The dynamic duo:

gettyimages-108313075-2048x2048.jpg           52631377-hand-grabbing-money-bag.jpg

>>> ALERT: I am not a CSA. Je ne suis pas un Agent du soutien à la clientèle.

chukdefatey
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

@will13am wrote:

@Ed404 wrote:

@dabr wrote:

LoL, You even pay taxes after you die in BC.  There is GST on Funeral Services and on the Casket.  Original Poster must be new in Canada.

@Ed404 wrote:

@dabr wrote:

dabr
Mayor / Maire

@brandkwill   Just to clarify is this payment amount different that what you have been paying in th past?   Because if that is the case then you will need to submit a ticket via SIMon to moderatos and ask for help. 

You can click this link if you think the charges are incorrect: https://publicmobile.ca.ada.support/chat/

88cranston
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

@Ed404 wrote:

@dabr wrote:

Most prepaid plans do that. Since all their services are taxable you pay tax up front. So your funds on hand pay for any renewals or addons. So if you have a $25 balance and buy an add on for $5 you have $20 left.  Easy peasy. And you are best to pay an amount that reflects to the dollar and not cents....make sense? Add $10 and pay $11.20 in B.C.  Add $13.39 in B.C. will cost $15 with taxes......but what can you do with 39 cents?

dabr
Mayor / Maire

@Ed404 wrote:

@dabr wrote:

Why does Public Mobile charge tax on adding funds that's just weird. Never seen that before.

We don't really know if OP meant topping up or is paying the renewal plan charge which is always net of taxes.  It could be OP is on 90 day payment cycle.  Don't know for sure without more details right now.

Ed404
Town Hero / Héro de la Ville

@dabr wrote:

dabr
Mayor / Maire

@brandkwill wrote:

It said I was topping up by $99 but it authorized $111.87 on my visa card. Why am I getting secretly overbilled?

Need Help? Let's chat.