cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Telus store selling PM sim for $20???

4n2t0
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

Hello,

I just signed up with PM and in the process of trying to obtain a PM sim I went to a local Telus store that was selling PM sims for $20. When I asked why they were charging $10 more than Walmart or PM online they told me that the price was $20 at all retailers. As luck would have it there was a Walmart across the street and I bought the PM sim for $10.

What gives with this Telus store? Are they allowed to sell the PM sim for whatever price they deem appropriate?

22 REPLIES 22

Anonymous
Not applicable

@shskr wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@shskr wrote:

When I switched phone to an expensive iphone, I went to the cell service to get a new sim card because it uses a nano. The kiosk charged me $20 because it was an iphone.

Good grief. The SIM card is a triple punch of the three known sizes of SIM cards. And re-assemble-able.

Well my previous provider TELUS i've had since 2011. The guy at the kiosk put the sim card in my phone and kept/threw out the punch card. When I upgrade to a iphone the micro card did not fit. I went back to another telus kiosk and he charged me the $20 for a new TELUS sim card which is a punch card in different sizes. When I came to PM I  got London Drugs to do it for me and she gave me the punch card with the triple sim. Moral of the story if you can do it yourself best do it.

I activated a SIM card for my brother and put in myself and it was easy.

But...but...but...:) you could have punched out your on-hand micro to the nano. Unless of course it wasn't the triple punch kind to begin with which I guess is entirely possible.

shskr
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

@Anonymous wrote:

@shskr wrote:

When I switched phone to an expensive iphone, I went to the cell service to get a new sim card because it uses a nano. The kiosk charged me $20 because it was an iphone.

Good grief. The SIM card is a triple punch of the three known sizes of SIM cards. And re-assemble-able.

Well my previous provider TELUS i've had since 2011. The guy at the kiosk put the sim card in my phone and kept/threw out the punch card. When I upgrade to a iphone the micro card did not fit. I went back to another telus kiosk and he charged me the $20 for a new TELUS sim card which is a punch card in different sizes. When I came to PM I  got London Drugs to do it for me and she gave me the punch card with the triple sim. Moral of the story if you can do it yourself best do it.

I activated a SIM card for my brother and put in myself and it was easy.

@4n2t0 wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

A year ago when I was looking at changing my cell needs, I bought a Koodo SIM for $20 (never used it). Maybe it was a brain fart by the clerk.

I went twice and spoke to two different people just to make sure it wasn't a brain fart. They're definitely selling PM sims for $20.

Probably don't care if they do the activation because they are making $10 on each one already

I am happy to help, but I am not a Customer Support Agent please do not include any personal info in a message to me. Click HERE to create a trouble ticket through SIMon the Chatbot *

4n2t0

@Anonymous wrote:

A year ago when I was looking at changing my cell needs, I bought a Koodo SIM for $20 (never used it). Maybe it was a brain fart by the clerk.

I went twice and spoke to two different people just to make sure it wasn't a brain fart. They're definitely selling PM sims for $20.

Anonymous
Not applicable

@shskr wrote:

shskr

Anonymous
Not applicable

4n2t0

Store information sent to @Mary_M as requested.

will13am
Oracle
Oracle

@Alan_K , care to join this discussion? 

@4n2t0, so this is a Koodo authorized retailer, and as per Public Mobile, they should be selling at $10 plus local taxes.

Please send the identifying information for the store to @Mary_M so she can add it to her list of places not following the rules.

Yes I found that with this address....

https://www.facebook.com/telusbrampton/

Telus.... @4n2t0 @Anonymous 

Anonymous
Not applicable

@4n2t0 wrote:

It's definitely not a Rogers store. They my be an "authorized dealer" but the two big signs above the door are Telus and Koodo.

Good to know. In my defense, I did say "quick search". Maybe I shouldn't have said anything 🙂

4n2t0

Oh well, I just thought PM would have some control over the price at which other retail locations sell their product.

Like I said, Walmart across the street sold it to me for $10, so no harm done just a little sketchy.

4n2t0

It's definitely not a Rogers store. They my be an "authorized dealer" but the two big signs above the door are Telus and Koodo.

4n2t0

They have a PM sign in the window and a PM sim was offered to me before I rejected it when I saw the price they were trying to charge. 

I didn't think this was a "what the market will bear" situation. PM must have some level of price protection. Imagine if Walmart decided to up the price of Heinz ketchup so that sales suffered to the point where no one bought Heinz ketchup, would Heinz be ok with that?

Anonymous
Not applicable

@4n2t0 wrote:

Address: 10025 Hurontario St Unit 2A, Brampton, ON L6Z 0E6

Province: Ontario

City: Brampton
Phone: (647) 214-1117

A quick search shows that as a Rogers store. No wonder they blew you off.

If they charge more, go to another store.  Or just order online. Bo advnatage to getting in at a store unless in a hurry.

steff12321

@4n2t0 This is a Telus "Authorized Dealer" not a corporate store. Not sure how much more liberty they have to sell competitor's (albeit the same company) products. Still strange though. 

4n2t0

Address: 10025 Hurontario St Unit 2A, Brampton, ON L6Z 0E6

Province: Ontario

City: Brampton
Phone: (647) 214-1117

Anonymous
Not applicable

I'd say it makes a whole lot of sense to be able to get SIM's at any Telus related outlet. Price is of course whatever the market will bear as the saying goes.

stonechucker
Mayor / Maire

This is the first I've heard or read of a Telus store selling a PM Sim.

Did you actually see a PM Sim, or were they just telling you bogus info to get you out of the store?

will13am
Oracle
Oracle

I don't recall that Telus was mentioned as a source for SIM cards ever, regardless of price.  This is a new development.  @4n2t0 , care to share the city?

Need Help? Let's chat.