cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Tax on Vouchers

Naepalm
Mayor / Maire

Hello PM community, 

I bought some vouchers from a supplier and noticed that I was charged tax on them. Here is a deduction of the situation then:

If I buy $40.00 in vouchers for my $40.00 phone bill, I'll be paying tax twice. 

Tax on the 40.00 vouchers then when I pay my monthly bill tax on that as well.

Does anyone know why we pay tax on vouchers? Is it not like a gift card, you don't pay tax on gift cards.

And if you buy vouchers, are you ok with essentially paying 13% more for your bill by using vouchers?

Thanks

Naepalm

7 REPLIES 7

Perfect thanks everyone for that clarity, so taxes are onlymon point of sale, either thenvoucher point of sale or using your cc online at point of sale.

thanks for all the quick contributions.

geopublic
Mayor / Maire

@Naepalm  You're only paying taxes once at time of purchase. Once the money is in your account no additional tax gets charged.

benfatto
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

If you buy online there may be a service fee as well as taxes 

totalUser
Mayor / Maire

@Naepalm everything on your account has tax taken care of

With some load services they will show full breakdown into fees+tax+final balance (after you load it)

Triguy
Mayor / Maire

You would only be charged taxes on the voucher.  The full amount of the voucher gets added to your account to pay your bill but no additional tax.  If the value of voucher is $40 then $40 would be added to your account.

https://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/Paying-for-your-service/Vouchers-and-tax/m-p/298640#M...

mimmo
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

@Naepalm   when you load  $40 voucher your available funds increase by exatly  $40

when you pay by creditcard $40 your available funds increase by $40, but your cc statements shows $40+taxes)  there is no doubling of taxes.

the taxes charged on your credit payment bare based on the tel number  

taxes charged on the voucher are dependent in which province you buy the voucher in. 

iliketotalk
Mayor / Maire

@Naepalm Good morning if you get taxed on your vouchers you will not get taxed again when you pay your bill if it’s $40 that’s what it will be you won’t have to add any more like any service you will be taxed somewhere in the process😱

Need Help? Let's chat.