cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Talk and text plans

domptg
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

Everyone today cannot imagine the phone service with no data. 

Data is becoming less and less expensive every year little by little.

Unfortunately we cannot say that about talk and text plans. 

Lots of teenagers and older people up there still needs the phone for basic communication with the loved ones. When I started my very first plan with Telus about 10 years ago I paid $25 for unlimited local talking and texting. Not much changed since then. I would say since the cell companies make big bucks on data the simple talk and text plans shouldn't be so expensive. PM should lower the prices and create more simple plans choices. 

7 REPLIES 7

Anonymous
Not applicable

@domptg wrote:

Everyone today cannot imagine the phone service with no data. 

Data is becoming less and less expensive every year little by little.

Unfortunately we cannot say that about talk and text plans. 

Lots of teenagers and older people up there still needs the phone for basic communication with the loved ones. When I started my very first plan with Telus about 10 years ago I paid $25 for unlimited local talking and texting. Not much changed since then. I would say since the cell companies make big bucks on data the simple talk and text plans shouldn't be so expensive. PM should lower the prices and create more simple plans choices. 

I can't say as I disagree.

We see all these promos with all the data. Yeah there's big profit in data. Yeah they're a business. How about promos for those simple talk and text customers?

I barely use my phone anymore and so I'm on the $10 plan. A little work here and my service is free like they say in their promotional materials.

Would I like to see maybe unlimited province-wide talk and text for $10? You betcha! Maybe even just unlimited province-wide talk if they offered texting add-ons like say 100 and 1000 that "roll-over". But they don't. And they probably won't.

So oh well. I'm still here. I also prefer the Telus/Bell network. No other provider offers all these rewards that Public Mobile does.

@domptg wrote:

Why you saying this way??

The only thing I ask is to have more choices. 

How many choices can there be for basic plans

$10- 50 minutes Canada wide Talk 50 out going text unlimited incoming

$25- unlimited Provincial talk and unlimited International texts

If you need long distance or more minutes of the limited minute plan you can purchase a long distance addon.

Seems like enough options for the customer looking for a basic talk and text plan

I am happy to help, but I am not a Customer Support Agent please do not include any personal info in a message to me. Click HERE to create a trouble ticket through SIMon the Chatbot *

domptg

Why you saying this way??

The only thing I ask is to have more choices. 

bridonca
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

Canada has close to the worst mobile penetration compared to the rest of the world.  The country also has excess capacity when it comes to bandwidth.  The CRTC has noticed that.  What should have happened was that excess capacity get leased to MNVO's at market rates.  What we got was 3rd tier flankers that are just not that good, at least compared to the rest of the world.

mimmo
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

How much cheaper do you wnat the $25 plan to go?  I would love it to be free (maybe can start doing what youtube does,  insert a commercial before you call, and you get a discount for each add you listen to )  but their  needs to be some base cost, heck my cable bill just keeps going up not down. 

That being said,

• Public does have a $10 plan, + adding the long distance minutes can give a great rate.
  • you could go VOIP (fongo or others) fido has a great 3gb $15 data tablet plan
  • landlines are still an option or the cellulare home phone versions.
  • you could get $20 talk only, add data and use whats app for messaging

Lots of options out there but in the end are they really worth the trouble?

will13am
Oracle
Oracle

@domptg, let's get one thing straight here.  Carriers are not charities, they answer to shareholders, not customers. 

With this out of the way, you mentioned that you paid $25 for local talk and text.  Right now, Public Mobile sells province wide talk and text for $25.  Inflation adjusted, I would say the pricing is not so bad.  Ten years ago, my grocery bill was easily half of what it is today. 

I totally agree with the comment on data.  I see this trend continuing and eventually virtually unlimited data plans will come, maybe at a fairly steep price but they will come.  Remember the early days of metered home internet?  My provider was charging $1 per gig for overages.  Today, practically every home internet plan is unlimited usage. 

NewZQ

1-2 hours of work for a month of unlimited calls&text seems fine to me. The data is the real problem. We are so far behind compared to other countries.

Need Help? Let's chat.