cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Switching plans mid month

DorionVan
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

Good morning,

Last week I purchased a Public Mobile sim card at Walmart and I was told it had to be activated in store.  I signed up for the $40 4.5gb plan and they used a $43 voucher to pay for my first month (For some reason they didn't have $40 vouchers). I also signed up for auto pay for next month. Yesterday I received a text offer from Public Mobile to switch to Koodo which I would like to do. If I change to Koodo will I be refunded a portion of the money? I have only been on the plan for 9 days and used less that 1gb of data so far.  Also do I need to cancel auto pay or will it cancel automatically if I switch to Koodo?

Thanks in advance for the help.

16 REPLIES 16

srlawren
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

@DorionVan wrote:

@srlawren Thanks for the tip. I didn't realize I would be charged any fee for signing up in store.

@DorionVan no worries, it's a relatively recent change (as of maybe 2-3 months ago).  All of the carriers seem to have done this, or if they haven't, will soon I'm sure.  This is their way of recouping the fees they can no longer charge you for early contract cancellation or phone unlocking.  We always end up paying somehow!!

>>> ALERT: I am not a moderator. For account or activation assistance, please click here.

DorionVan

@Luddite Thanks for the information. In my case I would probably stay with Koodo because the offer is $40 for 6gb. Where as I'm paying $40 for 4.5gb with Public Mobile. Unless there is something else I'm missing?

@DorionVan Koodo has a rule: tab balance cannot be paid off until you've been with them 3 months. Of course, there is no requirement to port out and in. That suggestion is only to mitigate cost.

>>> ALERT: I am not a CSA. Je ne suis pas un Agent du soutien à la clientèle.

bridonca
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

@will13am wrote:

@bridonca wrote:

I would talk to Koodo and see if you can get some airtime credit to compensate for the money you are going to lose at Public Mobile doing the switch.   Koodo has been known to throw in $100 into the deal.

It would be great if you can show everyone which line up for the generous handouts.  Back in February, we had to leave all our belongings behind, including account funds.

As you already know, it is most certainly hit and miss.  Was able to do it black Friday, but were a bit stingy the last couple of months.  In any case, if you do not ask, you are getting nothing!

DorionVan

@Luddite I wasn't planning on getting a new phone. Although if its a good deal I would be interested. I don't quite understand the strategy in your post though. Why am I waiting 3 months, paying off tab, and porting back? Sorry I'm a newbie when it comes to any of this stuff.

@srlawren Thanks for the tip. I didn't realize I would be charged any fee for signing up in store.

srlawren

@DorionVan feel free to talk to the Koodo store people ( @Luddite's note not withstanding), but make sure you don't actually do anything there, just ask your questions.  If you activate at a retail location, Koodo will charge you a $30 activation credit on your first bill, which will more than likely negate any goodwill they would be adding for you (assuming they even agree to do so, which I think is actually unlikely). However, if you do it all online instead (using the link in the text message), the $30 is waived.

>>> ALERT: I am not a moderator. For account or activation assistance, please click here.

@Luddite wrote:

@DorionVan Forget the Koodo store; call them directly and wait on hold to speak to someone.

If you really want a new phone just do it. Port out you PM number to Koodo, wait 3 months, pay off the tab and port back to PM. Just add the difference in your cost for 3 months to the price of the phone to see if it is still a deal. 

This post should be tagged as #1 phone purchasing tip!  Smiley Tongue

@DorionVan Forget the Koodo store; call them directly and wait on hold to speak to someone.

If you really want a new phone just do it. Port out you PM number to Koodo, wait 3 months, pay off the tab and port back to PM. Just add the difference in your cost for 3 months to the price of the phone to see if it is still a deal. 

>>> ALERT: I am not a CSA. Je ne suis pas un Agent du soutien à la clientèle.

DorionVan

@mimmo That's a good idea. I was thinking the same thing and will most likely end up going that route unless Public Mobile or Koodo offer some type of compensation.

@bridonca Thanks for the tip. I will go to the Koodo store tommorow and see if they offer me anything. I'll report back if they do.

@bridonca wrote:

I would talk to Koodo and see if you can get some airtime credit to compensate for the money you are going to lose at Public Mobile doing the switch.   Koodo has been known to throw in $100 into the deal.

It would be great if you can show everyone which line up for the generous handouts.  Back in February, we had to leave all our belongings behind, including account funds.

bridonca
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

mimmo

The offer has an expiry date.  Just do it closer to the expiry day of your plan to maximise the plan usage

Hannie1392
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

I would say it's not included as they never mentioned it. But you never know you could always go through and see if they offer it. 

@DorionVan, if not mentioned, I would think it's not included.  

DorionVan

@will13am Thanks for the quick reply. The text message did not mention anything about a bill credit. I guess I will go through the registration process and see if they offer a bill credit.

will13am
Oracle
Oracle

@DorionVan, this is a prepaid service, there are no refunds.  I don't qualify for this offer, so I don't know all the terms.  In the past, they used to offer a bill credit to cover stranded usage.

Need Help? Let's chat.