cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Stuck in Lockdown with only UK Credit cards - Can't topup

wakeyjamie
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

Hi there,

I am currently at the start of a 9 month trip through Canada, but due to the coronavirus we are stuck in a small village in Nova Scotia.

My plan is up for renewal tomorrow and it will not let me top up with my UK Credit card. I was told before that the initial activation must either be done with a Canadian Credit card or vouchers, so I used vouchers. But that my second and subsequent topups could be done with a UK card. I tried to do this, this morning and it wouldn't accept my card. But I am also unable to get to a place that would sell vouchers.

Is there any chance you could make it so it accepts paypal or foreign credit cards.

Otherwise I will be stuck without cell service during these difficult times,

Many thanks,
Jamie

48 REPLIES 48

Luddite
Oracle
Oracle

@wakeyjamie 

a) Download the app from Textnow or Fongo for calling/texting on wifi. Fongo is my backup.

b) Send me a private message if you are unable to get a voucher online, or at a shop. https://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/Getting-Started/Private-Messages-viewing-and-creating...

>>> ALERT: I am not a CSA. Je ne suis pas un Agent du soutien à la clientèle.

• Get your payment ready. We accept the following credit cards, registered to a Canadian address: VISA, MasterCard and American Express. We also accept VISA debit cards and Public Mobile Payment Vouchers.

gpixel
Mayor / Maire

farmbot
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

Payment shown in British pounds or choose other payment currency

farmbot

https://www.recharge.com/en/canada/public-mobile-top-up

Instructions included on procedure to get voucher thru email and code

Stay safe

LurganIeUk
Mayor / Maire

LurganIeUk_3-1586967239634.png

LurganIeUk_4-1586967239636.png

LurganIeUk_5-1586967239638.png

JoyLuck
Mayor / Maire

@wakeyjamie 

If you cannot buy online is there anyone you know in Canada who could buy a voucher for you at one of these retail stores and give  you the pin. 

vouchers.jpg

Anonymous
Not applicable

@kelvarnsen wrote:

Keep in mind if the original poster just arrived in Canada they may be required to be under 14 day lockdown and may have difficulty going out to buy a prepaid credit card.

They said they're renewing so they've been here for at least 29 days. (unless they acquired the SIM and activated elsewhere)

They gotta eat so how are they getting groceries?

kelvarnsen

Keep in mind if the original poster just arrived in Canada they may be required to be under 14 day lockdown and may have difficulty going out to buy a prepaid credit card.

Naepalm
Mayor / Maire

@wakeyjamie wrote:

Hi there,

I am currently at the start of a 9 month trip through Canada, but due to the coronavirus we are stuck in a small village in Nova Scotia.

My plan is up for renewal tomorrow and it will not let me top up with my UK Credit card. I was told before that the initial activation must either be done with a Canadian Credit card or vouchers, so I used vouchers. But that my second and subsequent topups could be done with a UK card. I tried to do this, this morning and it wouldn't accept my card. But I am also unable to get to a place that would sell vouchers.

Is there any chance you could make it so it accepts paypal or foreign credit cards.

Otherwise I will be stuck without cell service during these difficult times,

Many thanks,
Jamie

@wakeyjamie Great suggestion for PM to accept PAYPAL! 

@BearFBI wrote:

@wakeyjamie Buying top-up cards online is your only option. You could go to Rechage.com and buy a top-up from there. They charge some fees so its not as cheap as buying one from a store

This sounds like your best suggestion. The only other thing I can think of is if you pick up a prepaid Mastercard or visa and pay for your service online through that. 

geopublic
Mayor / Maire

@wakeyjamie  Your only option is to purchase a voucher online. You can use

Xoom.com (reloads)

Recharge.com

Ding.com

Best to add a voucher that covers the renewals for the entire length that way you don't have to worry about your next plan renewal.

Anonymous
Not applicable

@wakeyjamie 

Are you stuck in the place? In quarantine? Do you know anybody? How are you eating?

All that to say that you could also use prepaid "credit" card gift cards. They're available at many stores that sell gift cards and even Canada Post.

If you can get out that is...

kelvarnsen

This obviously won't help you for tomorrow but since you are stuck in a small town with nowhere to go, you might be able to find a Canadian or US credit card company that will issue you a card. Some Google searching tells me some companies will issue cards to non-residents.

ddeep91
Town Hero / Héro de la Ville

@wakeyjamie 

Buying a voucher online @ Recharge.com is going to be your best option as you are stuck at your place.

kselmak
Mayor / Maire

Hi Jamie

Try ding.com or recharge.com

BearFBI
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

@wakeyjamie Buying top-up cards online is your only option. You could go to Rechage.com and buy a top-up from there. They charge some fees so its not as cheap as buying one from a store

Dunkman
Oracle
Oracle

@wakeyjamie 

From my understating, Public mobile only accepts credit card from Canada and USA.  

You may want to try to buy a payment voucher in store (ie. gas stations, Shoppers, Walmart) or in your case, purchase a voucher online via recharge.com (service fee applies).  

Please remove your personal information.  

Need Help? Let's chat.