cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Strange debit against my credit card from Public Mobile

geloofy
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

Hi

I have my card registered for autopay and usually get billed the same amount every month at the beginning of the month. Around $30.

I noticed a strange debit against my card for $11.20 two days ago from Public Mobile. Can anyone explain this? I haven't purchased any addons or anything like that.

Regards

20 REPLIES 20

@srlawren

The hardest mystery charges are phantom activations to track down Cat LOL

Took forever to work out what happened there and why card gets double charged

But there was a kinda insane logic behind what the system did

Poor Mods I give them too much work Cat LOL

srlawren
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

@geloofy wow, that is a very late posting for that transaction!  I'm glad you got your explanation.

FYI in about 99.9% [purely guess--not a real statistic!] of the cases I've seen in the community here of people saying they were double-charged or charged some extra mystery payment, or charged more than they expected, there is a logical explanation and everything actually worked as it should have. 

>>> ALERT: I am not a moderator. For account or activation assistance, please click here.

Karnbot13
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

@geloofy wrote:

Thank you to everyone for your help! I've found the culprit...

On 6 October I purchased US roaming data for $10. I assumed that I had already been charged for it but after looking at my financial statement for October I saw there was no charge. This transaction on 26 November must be for that add on from 6 October.

I'm not sure why they only charged me now but at least the mystery is solved 🙂 Very sorry for wasting everyone's time with this!

Not a waste, it's good information to have. Seems the payment system is slowing down to match response times from mods? 😉

geloofy

Thank you to everyone for your help! I've found the culprit...

On 6 October I purchased US roaming data for $10. I assumed that I had already been charged for it but after looking at my financial statement for October I saw there was no charge. This transaction on 26 November must be for that add on from 6 October.

I'm not sure why they only charged me now but at least the mystery is solved 🙂 Very sorry for wasting everyone's time with this!

1- Do you live in BC? (if not this charge makes no sense at all)

2- Do you only have the single line with Public?

3- Did you order a replacement / new SIM in the past? (maybe due to postal strike it got shipped really late?)

4- Any trips to USA or overages in data? (the 250MB data or US roaming are only add-ons that even cost $10)

As far as I know Public does not even keep your credit card number at front line so I am mystified how this charge would have shown up in error

Just as an FYI tracking down false credit card charegs is very tough (takes months in my exp)

geloofy

Yeah, if they check their financial statement and cross reference my credit card details I'm hoping they will be able to find out what the charge is for and reverse it/refund me.

will13am
Oracle
Oracle

This one is going to be hard for the moderators to chase down.  The transaction definitely happened according to the credit card statement.  However, there was nothing charged to the mobile account.  This is really strange. 

mcs11

@geloofy wrote:

I have sent a message to moderators and will keep you updated.

Unfortunately I don't have a temporary lock but I could cancel the card. It just seems strange that if someone had my card details they would just use it to purchase something from Public Mobile for $11.20.

Hopefully it is just an accidental charge and that the Moderators can sort it out for you. It's such a pain to cancel your credit cards. I know I'd probably wait to hear back from them before taking such a drastic step, but it's probably a good idea to just keep tabs on your credit card charges for the next little while in case there is some fraud occuring.

Good luck & keep us posted!

geloofy

I have sent a message to moderators and will keep you updated.

Unfortunately I don't have a temporary lock but I could cancel the card. It just seems strange that if someone had my card details they would just use it to purchase something from Public Mobile for $11.20.

ute1978
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

Could you please keep us updated? It is really weird that Public Mobile would charge a credit card out of the blue. Do you have a temporary "lock" function on your credit card until everything is sorted? There is a slight risk that someone else is using your credit card.

geloofy

No I didn't use my credit card to buy any sim card.

Will contact a moderator, thank you.

ute1978

Did you use your credit card to buy a sim card for a friend?

@geloofy

You will then need to contact moderator via private messaging to sort things out.  Weird situation.  

send a private message through the following link :

https://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/notes/composepage/note-to-user-id/22437

(include your phone number, account number and PIN)

geloofy

Exactly! No activity on my account around 26 Nov. I did not purchase a sim card either.

I have another account but that one also has no activity around 26 Nov.

Capture.JPG

@geloofy

From the payment history, it does not  look like that your account had anything happen around November 26. 

Do you have another account?  Maybe bought another SIM card?  looks like $10 + taxes.  

geloofy

I haven't purchased any add ons.

Capture.JPG

ute1978

What @will13am meant is the transaction from your own Public Mobile self serve account. Did you buy an add on?

mcs11

@geloofy wrote:

Does this help at all?

Capture.JPG

@geloofy Maybe post the one from your Public Mobile account.  It's located under "Payment History" and looks like this:

Capture 4.PNG

geloofy

Does this help at all?

Capture.JPG

will13am
Oracle
Oracle

@geloofy, can you post a screen cap of your payment history with personal data blocked out.  The community can assist with checking the line items there.  Hopefully this charge will be there with explanation. 

Need Help? Let's chat.