cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Snowbirds

BigTree
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

We are snowbirds who go down to Arizona for about 4 months in the winter. I understand that my phone number and account can only be innactive for 3 months then it dies and my phone number gets lost. Is there a fix or do I just have to keep paying a minimal plan?

7 REPLIES 7

Another alternative could be to find a US plan that allows roaming in Canada. Sometimes American plans are cheaper.

BigTree

So it sounds to me that the way to go is to let our $25 plans lapse for 80 days then renew. Then renew again when I get home about 45 days later? For 2 plans total cost is $50 plus taxes. Cheap enough.

popping
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

@BigTree 

To summarize what were suggested, two options to consider:

Option 1.  Switch to the cheapest $15 plan

1a) If you are on a plan that PM is no longer offer, you will not get it back after switching tothe $15 plan for 4 months.  Your cost is $12/m($15 -$2 autopay - $1 referral) for one account and $13($15-$2autopay) for the other account.  You are paying $25/30days+ tax.  Cost for 4 months is $100+tax.  

1b) Drawback. Use option 2 if you has a grandfathered plan and is no longer offer, please use opeiont 2.

Option 2. Renew every 85 days with your current plan

2a) Please note that PM wants your plan full amount to reactiavte your plan from suspension status.  e.g. If you have a $40 plan, you will be charged $40 + tax to renew your plan.  You are look at $80 + tax for two accounts if both of you have a $40.  Do you calculation using the plan cost of your current plans.

2b) Drawback. I will not wait until the last day before reactivate your plan just in case there is self-serve account outage etc.  I will reactivate around 85 days after suspension.  If you forgot to renew before 90days after suspension, your account will be closed and your phone number will be back to the provider who gave you your numbers.

@hairbag1 wrote:

Leave a valid credit card on your account and enable autopay. Downgrade to a $15 plan while you're gone.

Alternative is downgrade to $15 plan. Manually pay the first 2 months to your Available Funds...then let it Suspend for the last 2 months. Restart your account when you get home after 4 months.

Just don't let it suspend for longer then 89 days.

@BigTree The above advice is good but when you do come to be Canada and want to start using your Public Mobile service again, you will only be able to choose from the plans that Public Mobile is offering at that time if you decide to change from that lower priced plan that you changed to earlier.

Obice
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

@BigTree wrote:

We are snowbirds who go down to Arizona for about 4 months in the winter. I understand that my phone number and account can only be innactive for 3 months then it dies and my phone number gets lost. Is there a fix or do I just have to keep paying a minimal plan?

You could always transfer your number over to numberbarn.com although you'd lose your current plan/carrier. You can keep your number stored in their database for I think $2/mo and you get a voicemail so when people call it's almost as if you still have an active service.

BigTree

Thanks. That makes some sense. If I had to pay the whole $15 for 4 months for 2 people...$120 for something I wasn't using kind of dissappointing. But half that I can live with.

Thanks!

hairbag1
Mayor / Maire

Leave a valid credit card on your account and enable autopay. Downgrade to a $15 plan while you're gone.

Alternative is downgrade to $15 plan. Manually pay the first 2 months to your Available Funds...then let it Suspend for the last 2 months. Restart your account when you get home after 4 months.

Just don't let it suspend for longer then 89 days.

Need Help? Let's chat.