cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Since when PM raised the price of the plan?

hardywang
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

I am on 90 days, Canada wide, global text, 6GB plan. I recall When I signed up the plan last year it was about $40/month in average. I have auto payment set.

I looked into 3 payments in past 9 months (since very beginning) from my credit card statement:

• Sep 2016 - $135
  • Dec 2016 - $140
  • Mar 2017 - $144.64

Every new payment the price increased by some dollars. Does it seem right?

33 REPLIES 33

SD08
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

@srlawren wrote:

@TheOldVR close for sure!  But I'm guessing you haven't seen @sheytoon's posts 🙂

@SD08 apologies--I haven't had time to read through your response yet.  I will try to do so later today.

@TheOldVR
Lol, I hadn't intended for it to be quite as long as it turned out, but...it just grew!

@srlawren
No problem. Please take your time. I only ask that you really consider the evidence, and not simply go by what a moderator may have stated. I'm not saying the moderators are necessarily wrong, but they likely don't have the time to follow discussions in-depth like this. What they state may be accurate as far as it goes, but it may not be the whole story.  The details matter here.  If I think of a way to make it clearer, I'll update it.  Smiley Happy

srlawren

@TheOldVR close for sure!  But I'm guessing you haven't seen @sheytoon's posts 🙂

@SD08 apologies--I haven't had time to read through your response yet.  I will try to do so later today.

>>> ALERT: I am not a moderator. For account or activation assistance, please click here.

TheOldVR
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

@SD08... I think u just won the award for the longest, most detailed post ever!!! Smiley Tongue

SD08

@srlawren

Apologies in advance for the long read, but here is a fuller explanation and I hope you'll take the time to read this when you have a chance. I hope I won't bore you too much.  Smiley Wink

Looking back at our discussion, I think I see now what is causing our disagreement.
This much we agree on: "Every time the renewal processes, you get the credit if auto pay is turned on at that time." Where we disagree is exactly which instance of autopay reward is attributed to which cycle, that is, which cycle generated or earned it.

Let's use the OP's case as an example, where for simplicity's sake, we'll just call them the September, December and March cycles, identified by their payment dates. It's my position that, when autopay is turned on right from the beginning, the customer would earn the $6 reward for each of the SEP, DEC, and MAR cycles.
Scenario A:
Sep 23: $6 appears instantly as "Available Funds." Used toward Dec. 22 payment
Dec 22: $6 appears as "Autopay Rewards." Used toward Dec. 22 payment
Mar 22: $6 appears as "Autopay Rewards." Used toward Mar. 22 payment

If autopay is not turned on until afterward, as I posit in the OP's case, then it would look like this, Scenario B:
Sep 23: No amount listed under "Available Funds.", $0 in self-serve balance
Dec 22: $6 appears as "Autopay Rewards." Used toward Dec. 22 payment
Mar 22: $6 appears as "Autopay Rewards." Used toward Mar. 22 payment

Where you seem to differ by your comments is, you imply that the Dec 22 autopay reward listed in the OP's transaction history is generated by and fulfills the reward earned by the Sep 23 cycle, by turning on the autopay after activation. I say this is wrong. While it is indeed generated by turning on autopay between Sep23-Dec22, it fulfills the reward earned for the *Dec 22* cycle, and will be used for payment on that day, Dec 22. The $6 "Available funds" in scenario A is the proper reward generated by the Sep. 23 cycle and is in fact generated the very day of activation when autopay is on. It too will be used for Dec. 22 (1st renewal). Therefore, the Dec 22 payment will be reduced by $12 ($6autopay+$6availfunds) in scenario A. Any subsequent renewals (Mar22 onward) will only have the single $6 reduction from autopay. Unfortunately, it seems to be scenario B that applied to the OP's account, because they didn't have autopay on from the start.  Therefore, only $6 autopay applied to their Dec 22 payment, no available funds.

What is the evidence to support the preceding paragraph? As I said before, the credits and debits for Dec 22 exactly equaled $195 on both sides of the ledger. If there had been $6 available funds, the credit side would have totalled $6 less than the debit side, reflected by a lower "Automatic Top-up" amount. Snapshot reposted here for convenience:

PM_HW_PaymentHistory_Sep2016-Mar2017.png

How do I know this is how it works? See the snapshot of my own account:

PM_SD_PaymentHistory_Feb2017.jpg

For my first and so far only renewal on Feb.13, notice how the total debits came to $246 while the credits came to only $240? The $6 difference was made good from the available funds sitting in my account since Nov.15, my activation date. There is nowhere else those funds could have come from other than the initial autopay reward, since it was there instantly after activation. Notice also how my account had $6 autopay reward credited Feb 13, even as it used $6 of available funds? That's what I meant when I mentioned the $12 in my earlier post. Why didn't the OP's account have those $6 available funds while mine did? The OP made no other purchases which could have used up $6, or they would be on that snapshot. The answer is, I simply had autopay turned on at activation. So the evidence clearly supports my case.  By the way, @TheOldVR also confirmed earlier in this thread that is what happened in his account too. Basically, I believe you were attributing the wrong instance of autopay reward to the first cycle (Sep 23), not in specific words but in a general sense.  In a nutshell, if autopay is on right away, then for the first three payment cycles you'd receive the equivalent of three autopay rewards ($6 availfunds + $6autopay + $6autopay).  If not, then you only get two.  The OP's snapshot shows evidence of only two autopay rewards ($6autopay + $6autopay), not three as they would have earned with scenario A.

I hope that is sufficiently clear to settle this question. Sorry for the long read. I don't mean to be argumentative for the sake of argument. I simply believe this was too important a point to leave unclarified for future questions of payment history.  I'm sure there will be plenty of those.  Smiley Tongue

SD08

@srlawren wrote:

@SD08 that's not what I'm saying.  Bottom line:  every time the renewal processes, you get the credit if auto pay is turned on at that time.  So on your first renewal, you get $6 (not $12, where did you get that from?) applied to your account, as long as autopay is on at that point in time no matter when you turned it on prior.  Same for every subsequent renewal--if autopay is on when the payment processes, you get the $6.  If not, you don't.  You never get a $12 autopay credit (or should never--if someone does it's a glitch lol)

I'm actually agreeing with you on the bolded part.  It's not $12 all labeled as "autopay", but $6 autopay, and $6 available funds, that equals $12 for the Dec payment.  But there isn't the $6 available funds (which would have come from their first autopay reward of the Sep cycle), is what I'm saying.  Otherwise, the "Automatic Top-up" on Dec 22 would have been $118 not $124.  Therefore, the OP did not earn an autopay reward for September, to be used toward December.  Conclusion:  they did not have autopay turned on right at activation, so they missed the very first reward which comes from the Sep activation (1st cycle).  The $6 autopay reward you see on Dec 22 is earned from the Dec cycle, not the Sep cycle.  If what you're saying is correct, there should have been either $6 available funds to reduce the Automatic Top-up amount to $118, or an additional $6 autopay reward that came from the Sep activation, but there clearly isn't either there.

srlawren

@SD08 that's not what I'm saying.  Bottom line:  every time the renewal processes, you get the credit if auto pay is turned on at that time.  So on your first renewal, you get $6 (not $12, where did you get that from?) applied to your account, as long as autopay is on at that point in time no matter when you turned it on prior.  Same for every subsequent renewal--if autopay is on when the payment processes, you get the $6.  If not, you don't.  You never get a $12 autopay credit (or should never--if someone does it's a glitch lol)

>>> ALERT: I am not a moderator. For account or activation assistance, please click here.

SD08

@srlawren

If what you say is correct, then answer this:  why did the OP not get $12 reduced through autopay rewards from their Dec payment?  It ws only $6 reduction.  They obviously had autopay turned on by that point.

srlawren

@SD08 no that's not right at all.  As long as you turn on auto-pay before the payment date of your first renewal, you lose nothing.   EDIT:  by which I mean, it may affect how/when it shows up in your rewards section of self-serve, but you get the same $6 (or $2 on a 30 day plan) credit at the time of your first renewal whether you turned on autopay right away or on day 88 of your first cycle.

SD08

@Mary_M wrote:

Normally, the 6$ reward should not be applied after the activation if autopay has not been enable Let's say I activate my SIM card and activate autopay right then and there - I will receive a 6$ reward after my activation is completed (although I paid the total cost of the price plan, the 6$ will fall into my available funds).

If autopay is not enabled upon activation, no reward is applied after and put in the available funds. The reward will only appear on the next renewal - assuming I enable the feature prior to my renewal date.

I hope that I was able to clarify 😛 @SD08 @srlawren 

Mary

Thank you for the clarification, @Mary_M.  That is what I was trying to make clear, that a $6 reward that is earned by the first cycle (Sep in OP's case) cannot be retroactively earned by turning on autopay after activation.  The $6 for the 2nd cycle can still be earned and applied toward the 2nd cycle payment by turning on autopay anytime before the payment is due.

Mary_M
Retraité / Retired
Retraité / Retired

Normally, the 6$ reward should not be applied after the activation if autopay has not been enable Let's say I activate my SIM card and activate autopay right then and there - I will receive a 6$ reward after my activation is completed (although I paid the total cost of the price plan, the 6$ will fall into my available funds).

If autopay is not enabled upon activation, no reward is applied after and put in the available funds. The reward will only appear on the next renewal - assuming I enable the feature prior to my renewal date.

I hope that I was able to clarify 😛 @SD08 @srlawren 

Mary

** Please do not post private info such as: phone number, account number, pin etc.. This is a public forum. **

SD08

I think there may be some confusion as to what exactly we are referring to:
In the OP's case, their 1st cycle is Sep 2016, her 2nd cycle (1st renewal) is Dec 2016. I'm saying, with autopay turned on right from the start, OP gets $6 available funds immediately from the 1st cycle, to be used toward Dec 2016, which is the 1st renewal/2nd cycle. OP also gets $6 that sits in the account as "autopay rewards", also to be used toward Dec 2016 renewal. Therefore, a total of $12 will be subtracted from 2nd cycle/1st renewal payment. I'm saying that, if autopay is not turned on from activation, the OP only gets $6 reduction from their Dec payment, not $12. In fact, looking at OP's screenshot that is what appears to have happened. There is only $6 autopay reduction from their Dec payment, not $12. Both the credit and debit sides add up to $195, which would not be the case if there were $6 available funds sitting in the account. In that case, the credit side would be adding up to only $189, and that is not what we see here.

Mary_M
Retraité / Retired
Retraité / Retired

You're very welcome 🙂 @srlawren

** Please do not post private info such as: phone number, account number, pin etc.. This is a public forum. **

srlawren

@Mary_M thanks for confirming @SD08's analysis of @hardywang's billing, and for confirming my statements about how autopay is rewarded.  🙂

Mary_M
Retraité / Retired
Retraité / Retired

The initial payment does is made manually, therefor the autopay reward does not get applied. As srlawren mentioned, you can disable/enable your autopay as many times as you want in between your plan - as long as it's enabled during your renewal, the reward will be applied. 

Now, let's look at your payments @hardywang:

September 26th 2016 - activation - 135$ payment (glitch did not apply taxes, therefor your CC was only charged 135$)

December 22nd 2016 - autopay renewal - 124$ payment + tax (5$ in community rewards and 6$ in autopay rewards) 

March 7th 2017 - autopay renewal - 128$ payment + tax (1$ in community rewards and 6$ in autopay rewards) 

As you can see, the amount for your community rewards have decreased, which is why your CC was charged more. 

Does this make sense? 🙂

Mary

srlawren

@SD08 I'm 99% 100% sure about this: the system checks during the renewal process to see if you have autopay on.  It doesn't care when you applied it as long as it's on when it checks.  You don't have to have it enabled for the complete 90 days prior to your renewal.  In fact, you can turn it off and on at will, so long as it's on when the system does it's processing.  I can't confirm the exact time of day on the payment date it needs to be on by so I'd say turn it on at least the day before to be safe.  Also, your suggestion of just singing up for it during activation and not worrying is a great idea and I tell people that too--but I'm almost certain it's not required.

@Shazia_K can you please correct me if I'm wrong here?  🙂  EDIT: @Mary_M confrimed what I said above; Updated my certainty from 99% to 100.  🙂

SD08

@srlawren wrote:

@SDO8 wrote:

This is why, whenever the question comes up, I always advise people to sign up for autopay right away at the same time as activation, not afterward, or else they'll miss out on the $6 reward from the 1st cycle (their account would show $6 under autopay, but $0 available funds and $0 balance instead of the $6 that mine had).

@SD08 FYI this part is incorrect.  As long as you activate AutoPay before your first payment due date you will get the credit on the first renewal anyway.

@srlawren

Are you talking about the autopay reward that comes from the 2nd cycle?  Yes, that can always be earned by turning on autopay anytime before the renewal occurs, obviously.  But if you mean the $6 "available funds" and "balance" as seen in my screenshot, I'm not sure that's true.  Have you seen someone turn on autopay after activation and have $6 appear as available funds?

srlawren

@SDO8 wrote:

This is why, whenever the question comes up, I always advise people to sign up for autopay right away at the same time as activation, not afterward, or else they'll miss out on the $6 reward from the 1st cycle (their account would show $6 under autopay, but $0 available funds and $0 balance instead of the $6 that mine had).

@SD08 FYI this part is incorrect.  As long as you activate AutoPay before your first payment due date you will get the credit on the first renewal anyway.

srlawren

@Chaos_Scorpio@SD08 -- you're both correct.  The credits aren't applied to your account until your first renewal, even if you signed up for autopay during activation.  This is the correct and expected behaviour.  

SD08

@Chaos_Scorpio wrote:

@SDO8 wrote:

@Chaos_Scorpio wrote:

@SDO8 wrote:

I'm guessing you did not turn on autopay at the same time as your activation, so you missed out on the $6 autopay reward from the first cycle. Otherwise, your Dec payment would have been lower.

False statement. You cannot claim autopay on the first payment, it is a manual payment thus not autopay, no autopay reward eligible... you can get it on your first renewal payment (ie your second payment if setup as autopay)

@Chaos_Scorpio

Actually, if you sign up for autopay right at activation, you do get the autopay reward for the first cycle. However, it does not go toward your first payment, nor does it appear under rewards. Instead, it appears on your account immediately as available funds and sits there until your next renewal. I've seen this happen in my own account. I had $6 available funds right from the start, in addition to the $6 autopay rewards. It could have come from nowhere else.

... how is that different than what I say. The reward may show up but rewards do not apply until you are billed, so my statement is still correct. 

@Chaos_Scorpio

What I'm saying is, when you sign up for autopay right at activation, you do get credited the autopay reward for the first cycle, but it is used for payment of the 2nd cycle. So, the 2nd cycle's payment is reduced by $12 ($6 autopay reward from the 1st cycle + $6 autopay reward from the 2nd cycle). The $6 from the 1st cycle never gets labeled as "autopay reward" in the self-serve account - it simply appears and sits in the account as $6 available funds from day one until the renewal. At the same time, another $6 shows up under autopay rewards, which comes from the 2nd cycle reward, credited in advance.  I know this is true from seeing what happened in my own account, and I'm not the only one who saw that. 

Here is a screenshot of my account on Nov. 28/16, two weeks after I signed up:

PublicMobile_AutopayRewards_28Nov2016.jpg

This is what I meant in my original statement to the OP, so it was not false. Note that In my original statement to the OP, I was not implying that the $6 would have been applied to the first payment. That is why I included the line: "Otherwise, your Dec payment would have been lower."  If this is what you meant as well, then we are actually both in agreement.

Chaos_Scorpio

@SDO8 wrote:

@Chaos_Scorpio wrote:

@SDO8 wrote:

I'm guessing you did not turn on autopay at the same time as your activation, so you missed out on the $6 autopay reward from the first cycle. Otherwise, your Dec payment would have been lower.

False statement. You cannot claim autopay on the first payment, it is a manual payment thus not autopay, no autopay reward eligible... you can get it on your first renewal payment (ie your second payment if setup as autopay)

@Chaos_Scorpio

Actually, if you sign up for autopay right at activation, you do get the autopay reward for the first cycle. However, it does not go toward your first payment, nor does it appear under rewards. Instead, it appears on your account immediately as available funds and sits there until your next renewal. I've seen this happen in my own account. I had $6 available funds right from the start, in addition to the $6 autopay rewards. It could have come from nowhere else.

... how is that different than what I say. The reward may show up but rewards do not apply until you are billed, so my statement is still correct. 

TheOldVR

@Chaos_Scorpio

Actually, if you sign up for autopay right at activation, you do get the autopay reward. However, it does not go toward your first payment, nor does it appear under rewards. Instead, it appears on your account immediately as available funds and sits there until your next renewal. I've seen this happen in my own account. I had $6 available funds right from the start. It could have come from nowhere else.

^^^ @SD08 @Chaos_Scorpio: Can confirm the above, same thing happened to me.

SD08

@Chaos_Scorpio wrote:

@SDO8 wrote:

@Chaos_Scorpio

TheOldVR

LMAO @SD08!!!!

I'm workin off Lakeshore as slave labour too!!!  Looks like we need to move to India, or Manila and make some real dough!!!

Chaos_Scorpio

@SDO8 wrote:

SD08

@TheOldVR wrote:

@SD08 Well written response mate..... you need to be in Customer Service!

A certain cable and Internet company just raised my monthly bill by $10 a month to "service me better".... too bad they can't give me a response as detailed as what you've offered here!

Happy Tuesday!

Let's see...
-I'm sitting in front of a computer
-I spend a lot of time answering customer questions & troubleshooting
-I read annoyed customers' venting
-I try to be courteous and polite
-I sometimes recommend various telecommunications products & services
-I get paid an average of $4 per month ($6 if I'm especially productive)
-I use the company's phone service when I'm relaxing

Sounds like an offshore customer service centre...
Wait...what?! How did I get here? And where's the "shore" in that offshore? Lake Ontario doesn't count!  Cat Mad

Seriously though, @TheOldVR thanks for the compliment. Smiley Happy

TheOldVR

@SD08 Well written response mate..... you need to be in Customer Service!

A certain cable and Internet company just raised my monthly bill by $10 a month to "service me better".... too bad they can't give me a response as detailed as what you've offered here!

Happy Tuesday!

@SDO8 wrote:

@hardywang

Keep in mind that none of the amounts that appear in your self-serve account will include any federal or provincial taxes, whereas the amounts in your credit card statement will have tax added. Having said that, I recall some members reporting that they weren't charged tax at all for their first payment due to a glitch in PM's billing system. Subsequent payments had tax correctly added.  I'm guessing that may be what happened with your September payment. In that case, you've actually been lucky in getting a small break from the tax.

Your plan's 90-day cost is $135 before tax.  Here's your payment breakdown for each cycle:
Sep 2016: $135 - $0 autopay - $0 community reward + $0 HST = $135 (tax glitch)
Dec 2016: $135 - $6 autopay - $5 community reward + 13% HST = $140.12
Mar 2017: $135 - $6 autopay - $1 community reward + 13% HST = $144.64

hardywang

@SDO8 wrote:

@hardywang

Keep in mind that none of the amounts that appear in your self-serve account will include any federal or provincial taxes, whereas the amounts in your credit card statement will have tax added. Having said that, I recall some members reporting that they weren't charged tax at all for their first payment due to a glitch in PM's billing system. Subsequent payments had tax correctly added.  I'm guessing that may be what happened with your September payment. In that case, you've actually been lucky in getting a small break from the tax.

Your plan's 90-day cost is $135 before tax.  Here's your payment breakdown for each cycle:

Good catch, the communuity reward was different.

will13am
Oracle
Oracle

@hardywang, you missed out on the 2016 fall promotion, assuming that data >> Canada wide calling.

SD08

@hardywang

hardywang

@thapager wrote:
$144.64 divided by 13% tax = $128 - $8 (add-on?) = $120 base.

$120 is provincial wide plan. I have Canada wide plan, plus autopay should have $6 discount.

I still don't get how it is calculated.

Need Help? Let's chat.