cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Setting up Autopay using Prepaid Mastercard/Visa

Pizzaeh
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

Bonjour mes amis,

A relative is looking to sign-up for Public Mobile, but doesn't have a credit card.  If I wanted to setup autopay for their account is it possible to us a prepaid credit card for that?  Let's say I bought a $100 prepaid cc to use for a $10 plan, would that work or is it allowed on Public Mobile?

Gracias mis amigos!

8 REPLIES 8

@Pizzaeh , there was a $10 fee when I got it, but to be honest, I do not think I've been charged an annual fee since starting.  I could be wrong, I may have missed it.

I do have a Scotiabank account, so my fund transfer is completely free to me (from my chequing account with paid for unlimited transactions).  I believe you can use a bill payment option from another bank to make your deposits.

There is also a 'NON-Scene' reloadable option if you don't want the points for movies/dinners/etc....  And there's also a KOHO prepaid credit card which works similar, it was previously advertised here in Announcements forum.

Lots of options, you will need to follow Canadian banking rules with whatever you choose, as they will want to know your SIN and mailing address to confirm you're able to have the account. CRA rules.

Anonymous
Not applicable

I tried a so-called, branded as Vanilla Mastercard that didn't work. 

I tried a Visa Gift card from Home Depot of all places that worked fine.

No sign up. No identifying me through it. I used my address that Public Mobile has in the profile.

RobertQc uses a CanadaPost one and said any address would work.

Pizzaeh

@stonechucker wrote:

The designated 'Gift' cards do not seem to work.  These are the ones that you generally do not register for an address.

I am a user of the Scotiabank SCENE reloadable visa.  It's essentially cash on the card, and you must apply for it at a local Scotiabank.

I've been using it since 2016 for Public Mobile.  I also use this card for other purposes, where cash isn't an (easy) option.

Thanks @stonechucker, so once I apply and receive that card, I can add funds online?  I don't have an account with Scotia, would that be an issue?

Just reading up on Scotia site and there is a $10 annual fee and a $10 purchase fee - "deducted from your first value load".  So after that first time, there is no further purchase fee?  Just want to be aware of all the ongoing charges before I jump in.

Gracias!

The designated 'Gift' cards do not seem to work.  These are the ones that you generally do not register for an address.

I am a user of the Scotiabank SCENE reloadable visa.  It's essentially cash on the card, and you must apply for it at a local Scotiabank.

I've been using it since 2016 for Public Mobile.  I also use this card for other purposes, where cash isn't an (easy) option.

Pizzaeh

@Dunkgirl wrote:

Some users report success with a prepaid scotia bank visa scene card and canada post gift card. I am sure there are others but those are 2 confirmed. Try to find others by using the search feature here.

Will do, thanks for the quick reply Dunkgirl.  

Anonymous
Not applicable

@PizzaehWhether it works or not depends on the specific card (unfortunately).  Some have reported succesful usage, and others not.

Dunkgirl

Some users report success with a prepaid scotia bank visa scene card and canada post gift card. I am sure there are others but those are 2 confirmed. Try to find others by using the search feature here.

Dunkgirl

@Pizzaeh wrote:

Bonjour mes amis,

A relative is looking to sign-up for Public Mobile, but doesn't have a credit card.  If I wanted to setup autopay for their account is it possible to us a prepaid credit card for that?  Let's say I bought a $100 prepaid cc to use for a $10 plan, would that work or is it allowed on Public Mobile?

Gracias mis amigos!

@Pizzaeh  Yes it is allowed many use a pre-paid card for autopay but depends how the system identity that specific card and if it accepts it. Your best bet is to buy a card in hopes that it works, if it does not then you can get a different card as you will only be out the $2.50 or so charge for buying a card.

Need Help? Let's chat.