cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Sales tax charged incorrectly

Marchell1234
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

Hello,

New public mobile customer here. Ported my number from Yellowknife (867 area code) and was charged 12% tax for my top up. Our sales tax here is GST only at 5%. How can I fix this so I’m not charged an additional 7% every month?

Thank you,

L

9 REPLIES 9

@Montrealpost wrote:

I activated in Ontario with a voucher, took a Quebec# from PM with a Quebec address.  Just changed phone# to Alberta, have not changed address on account yet, hence still Quebec.  Will continue to pay online with Quebec credit card.  What tax will I be charged, 5% Alberta or 13% Quebec?  Thanks in advance!

Sales tax rate for self serve online and autopay payments are only based on the phone number.

Montrealpost
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

@stonechucker wrote:

Taxes can be played with, depending on how you pay and where you pay, and your phone number.

Can you answer these questions please, so I can help you figure it out?

1.  Where did you physically activate the plan (province)

2.  How did you pay (cash, voucher, credit card/debit card)

3.  You said you ported in, did you select another number from PM first?

Answering these, we'll be able to figure it out.

Taxes are normally charged based on the telephone number.  So an NWT phone number would normally be charged 5%.  As you were charged the BC rate of 12%, this could happen if you purchased a voucher for your top up in BC, as taxes are charged at the time of purchase.

If you were to pay online via credit card or debit visa, you'd get the 5% based on the telephone number.

I activated in Ontario with a voucher, took a Quebec# from PM with a Quebec address.  Just changed phone# to Alberta, have not changed address on account yet, hence still Quebec.  Will continue to pay online with Quebec credit card.  What tax will I be charged, 5% Alberta or 13% Quebec?  Thanks in advance!

stonechucker
Mayor / Maire

Taxes can be played with, depending on how you pay and where you pay, and your phone number.

Can you answer these questions please, so I can help you figure it out?

1.  Where did you physically activate the plan (province)

2.  How did you pay (cash, voucher, credit card/debit card)

3.  You said you ported in, did you select another number from PM first?

Answering these, we'll be able to figure it out.

Taxes are normally charged based on the telephone number.  So an NWT phone number would normally be charged 5%.  As you were charged the BC rate of 12%, this could happen if you purchased a voucher for your top up in BC, as taxes are charged at the time of purchase.

If you were to pay online via credit card or debit visa, you'd get the 5% based on the telephone number.

cellphoneexpert
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin
Spoiler
I have come across tax issues on cell phone invoices. Could be a different situation, however thought I would mention it.  The CRA uses a method called tax rounding and could affect you.  
I have attached a link to peruse. https://www.ctf.ca/ctfweb/EN/Newsletters/Canadian_Tax_Focus/2012/2/120509.aspx

mimmo
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

You could also buy vouchers from your l I cal merchants cabatian tires, Shell. Superstores, 7-11, walmarts etc.  It might be easier than asking each Month for an account credit 

LovesToPM
Mayor / Maire

Hoping other Northern Canadians can chime in here if this is a universal issue.

PM should be able to adjust the tax rates (unless the table isn't big enough to accompany all the territories and provinces?). Sales tax collection is subject to auditing.

LovesToPM
Mayor / Maire

@Marchell1234 wrote:

Hello,

New public mobile customer here. Ported my number from Yellowknife (867 area code) and was charged 12% tax for my top up. Our sales tax here is GST only at 5%. How can I fix this so I’m not charged an additional 7% every month?

Thank you,

L

Just a few questions.

1. When you look-up your address under MY Profile, what do you have under PROVINCE?

2. Did you port after activation? If yes, What area code was your original number when you activated.

3. Was your TOP UP done on Self Serve account via credit card or payment voucher?

@Marchell1234 wrote:

Hello,

Thank you,

L

This isn't the first I've heard of this happening. I cannot say if it's just your account or of this an issue universal to peoppe with Yellowknife numbers that needs to get fixed.  

Public Mobile should refund the incorrect charges, but it might be easier for them to issue you an account credit.

You could also collect receipts from Public Mobile and mail copies of them maybe once a year to CRA with a note asking for the incorrectly charged/paid sales taxes to be refunded.

Dunkman
Oracle
Oracle

@Marchell1234 

You can contact moderator with your concern.  Are you living in Yellowknife presently?  If so, you should be charge 5% GST, since no sales tax in NWT.

Send a private message to moderator through the following link :

https://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/notes/composepage/note-to-user-id/22437

Need Help? Let's chat.