cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Renewal date coming up

Melissa-H77
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

Quick question: I have been reading lot of issues with phones getting suspended when renewing their plans. My husband and I are on autopay with the same credit card on the same day. Our first renewal date is coming up and I would like to make sure everything goes though on time. I have read that people will add funds to their account prior to the renewal date to ensure that their plan does not get suspended. Will this cancel the the autopay reward? Also if I know I have $3 in rewards should I still add the plans full amount just Incase? Trying to be proactive:) 

14 REPLIES 14

@will13am wrote:

@geopublic wrote:

@Melissa-H77 wrote:

Quick question: I have been reading lot of issues with phones getting suspended when renewing their plans. My husband and I are on autopay with the same credit card on the same day. Our first renewal date is coming up and I would like to make sure everything goes though on time. I have read that people will add funds to their account prior to the renewal date to ensure that their plan does not get suspended. Will this cancel the the autopay reward? Also if I know I have $3 in rewards should I still add the plans full amount just Incase? Trying to be proactive:) 

@Melissa-H77  First off regarding AutoPay you will not lose the reward as long as AutoPay is enabled. You can even fund your account with vouchers and still receive the reward.

I too have multiple accounts on the same credit card and have never used AutoPay. I manually fund the accounts with the credit card on file 3 days before renewal on the first account and two days before renewal on the second account. Just subtract the rewards and make a payment for the remainder for each account. This way if there is an issue with the cc it will give you some time to notify the moderator team.

Better safe than sorry. 🙂

See my response to Z10.  Smiley Happy

@will13am You entitled to your own opinion and I respect that but what your missing is perspective. I have no issues with paying bills automatically through my bank because I know that they spend a considerable amount of money to maintain their systems and keep them up and running. It's no secret that PM does not work that way. The systems are hand-me-downs and making changes on the fly when problems occur is standard procedure. You can be comfortable with that but I'm not. My motivation here is to give back and help people navigate the waters just as others helped me when I signed up. I'm just giving my honest advice and not fear mongering. If that is what you think then that's your opinion and you are entitled to it. It's up to the OP to review the comments and decide.

Anonymous
Not applicable

@will13am wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@Melissa-H77 

Since we're carrying on after solution...I don't let any company take money from me in an automatic fashion. No auto-debits, no auto-withdrawals. I pay bills the night before they're due. I look at this place as like any other bill. Pay it before it's due. After learning about and observing some of the overnight renewal process, I would have funds in the night before the last day of the paid term. That date is the top date on the overview page when active.

For the autopay reward, I use a prepaid "credit" card gift card. It doesn't even need to have money on it if I use vouchers or otherwise have Available Funds.

Have you completed your concrete underground bunker for the doomsday scenario?  Honestly, this discussion is without merit given the question in the OP.  You are trying to spread irrational fear that most other customers don't have.  Personally at every opportunity I used auto payment with my service providers.  Practically every other day in a month, somebody is taking money from my account.  If I were to manually pay each and every one of these bills, I would waste a ton of time needlessly and will likely miss a payment for sure.  In all the years of using auto payment, I have yet to miss a payment or have service disruption due to missed payment.  I only recall once having a billing issue with Bell where their payment system went haywire.  I received notification that routine autopayment would be halted until their billing system was fixed.  I went through that episode without any errant charges or service interruption.

I tire of these dismissals that some people seem to like to do. "Enough said", "end of discussion", "without merit" lines. It's unwarranted assuming power and authority and frankly insulting.

I don't trust corporations. They want my money. I'll dutifully/contractually give it to them when I'm required to while I enjoy the service they provide for the agreed upon period of time. I don't let them just help themselves.

This is not a comment on this autopay or spreading fear. It's a consumer comment in general. Fine for you that you have no problem letting corporations take your money. I don't dismiss you and denigrate your perspective or add insults of being some kind of dooms-dayer. Relax. Take a breath.

@geopublic wrote:

@Melissa-H77 wrote:

@Melissa-H77  First off regarding AutoPay you will not lose the reward as long as AutoPay is enabled. You can even fund your account with vouchers and still receive the reward.

I too have multiple accounts on the same credit card and have never used AutoPay. I manually fund the accounts with the credit card on file 3 days before renewal on the first account and two days before renewal on the second account. Just subtract the rewards and make a payment for the remainder for each account. This way if there is an issue with the cc it will give you some time to notify the moderator team.

See my response to Z10.  Smiley Happy

@Anonymous wrote:

@Melissa-H77 

Since we're carrying on after solution...I don't let any company take money from me in an automatic fashion. No auto-debits, no auto-withdrawals. I pay bills the night before they're due. I look at this place as like any other bill. Pay it before it's due. After learning about and observing some of the overnight renewal process, I would have funds in the night before the last day of the paid term. That date is the top date on the overview page when active.

For the autopay reward, I use a prepaid "credit" card gift card. It doesn't even need to have money on it if I use vouchers or otherwise have Available Funds.

Have you completed your concrete underground bunker for the doomsday scenario?  Honestly, this discussion is without merit given the question in the OP.  You are trying to spread irrational fear that most other customers don't have.  Personally at every opportunity I used auto payment with my service providers.  Practically every other day in a month, somebody is taking money from my account.  If I were to manually pay each and every one of these bills, I would waste a ton of time needlessly and will likely miss a payment for sure.  In all the years of using auto payment, I have yet to miss a payment or have service disruption due to missed payment.  I only recall once having a billing issue with Bell where their payment system went haywire.  I received notification that routine autopayment would be halted until their billing system was fixed.  I went through that episode without any errant charges or service interruption.

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Melissa-H77 

geopublic
Mayor / Maire

@Melissa-H77 wrote:

@Melissa-H77 wrote:

@will13am This will be the first time for autopay. If I manually top up one account, will it lose the reward? Or is the reward still there as long as my credit card is attached? Thank everyone for all the help!

The auto pay reward is issued if you have auto pay enabled.  Topping up early will not affect the reward.

In the long run, you should obviously put yourself in a position to trust/make auto pay work.  Personally, I think that in many situations with failed auto pay, it could be due to other payment issues not related to auto pay.  But it all gets lumped into auto pay failure.  Anyway, I really do think you should give auto pay a chance by doing top up in only one account.  In the other account, I suggest $1 top up to confirm the credit card has been properly accepted by the payment system.

As noted in an earlier post, the self serve display oddities about account status during renewal night where the account appears to be suspended momentarily.  My suggestion is not to look at the account and let the payment system do its thing.  What matters is your phone continues to work through the renewal process.

You will still qualify for the autopay reward as long as you keep your cc on file.  The top up won't affect your reward but will be a backup in case your cc doesn't get charged.

Melissa-H77

@will13am This will be the first time for autopay. If I manually top up one account, will it lose the reward? Or is the reward still there as long as my credit card is attached? Thank everyone for all the help!

tehowennathe
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

Don't worry about anything. If you see suspended on your account on renewal day it's perfectly fine. It will show suspended until the processing of payment is done. Account will still work like normal. I was worried about it the first time and PM users explained to me that's what happens. So if you see suspended it's usually a few hours only.

will13am
Oracle
Oracle

@Melissa-H77 , a manual top up will most definitely alleviate any potential auto pay failure.  If you have rewards, you can subtract it from the required top up.  The one thing I would be concerned with use of the same credit card is the fact that two payments will be requested simultaneously from the same vendor.  Sometimes the anti fraud systems might detect that as fraud and lock down the credit card.  Have you gone through any payments yet?  It might be worthwhile to do an early manual payment on one account and let the second account go through auto payment.  Auto payment really does work, although maybe not 100% bug free.

duffer900
Town Hero / Héro de la Ville

@Melissa-H77 wrote:

Thank @jordan23 my renewal date isn’t until Aug 6th but I am worried that I set up both mine and husbands plan on the same credit card on the same day. And I have been reading this causes all sort of problems...

@jordan23 is correct, ignore the messages you get at renewal, they will disappear and things should be fine.

As for the Credit card, both of my kids are on the same date with the same Credit card. I have never had any of the issues other have had. Might be a case by case issue perhaps dependent on the credit card issuer... 

Melissa-H77

Thank @jordan23 my renewal date isn’t until Aug 6th but I am worried that I set up both mine and husbands plan on the same credit card on the same day. And I have been reading this causes all sort of problems...

jordan23
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

Hi @Melissa-H77 , I had the same message where it says account suspended the day before my renewal. However, I remember it saying that if you're setup for autopay then you can just disregard the message. And fair enough, the next day my plan automatically renewed, my phone was still working, and the suspended message was gone 🙂

Need Help? Let's chat.