cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Refund for cancelled account

Hello Dave,

I cancelled my Public Mobile account. Public Mobile is taking my money, can you please give me my money back?

Please and thank you.

This message and replies have been moved into separate thread as they are not related to original topic. Title edited to reflect subject. -SD08

27 REPLIES 27

@AE_Collector 

No, refunding the client does not cost more than the refund. Especially when you are a large volume entity like a mobile service provider who do transactions in the hundreds, if not thousands per day. At that point, the rates are neglible.

@AE_Collector 

It should be no skin off their back to return funds for services not rendered. Simply credit the account.  : - )

I'm assuming we are talking about a request to prorate the months service here refunding an unused portion. With Prepaid Cell service you bought an item, a specific level of service that can be used as you want over 30 days. Sure it sounds easy, just prorate it and give you a credit back for your unused number of days. But..., the main item you bought was data. Voice and text are really just throw in items. They are unlimited, go crazy. So how do you prorate the amount of data used? If you used none of it then you get a 100% refund even on day 25? Or you Used it all up but still want half a month refunded? How many thousands are we talking here? It doesn't work that way on Prepaid and that was clearly spelled out. This is how all prepaid works. Basic service to keep the cost of providing the service low for everyone. You don't get to rewrite the rules when you're ready to leave.

AE_Collector

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Messages wrote:

@Anonymous 

It is exactly as described, there is an outstanding balance I need returned to me. The services have not been rendered to me, nor will they be. Keep it simple.

Again...how did the outstanding balance get there? You said you didn't port out. If there's so much outstanding balance then your account would renew. Services rendered. You still can't provide a whole story.

We want to be with you. We want you to fight the big bad corporation. But without the details we can't trust that it's a justifiable fight..

@Anonymous 

It is exactly as described, there is an outstanding balance I need returned to me. The services have not been rendered to me, nor will they be. Keep it simple.

@darlicious 

It is very simple, return the client her/his unused funds. Particularly when no resources are being taken up. Otherwise you charge for non-service. Going back to your McDonald's analogy, it is paying for something that you will never get. The client is advising, well in advance, 'that dinner for next month, I won't be needing that. Please give me my outstanding balance. Thank you.' 

@darlicious 

The phone number is going elsewhere and I do not need Public Mobile's service. Why should my number be held hostage to them if I want to leave? Particuarly when they mentioned they can credit my account in two weeks? Apparently, Public Mobile to you is some sort of blind faith. And to clarify, bad actions are taking money for services not rendered. This is easy to rectify: return unused funds. I am just a user who no longer requires their services and want what I am owed.

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Messages wrote:

@Anonymous

My account is being transferred out. There are unused funds. Previously, Public told me it would take two weeks to credit my card. (I have that email in my records). Now they say they get to keep all outstanding balances. That does not jibe.

I run a business too and know it is zero skin off Public Mobile's back to give a customer the outstanding balance.

So maybe your business also takes payments via prepaid gift cards. Customer loses their card. Would it really be no skin off your back to give that customer another card? I don't think so. Sure...large corporations can "afford" it. But is it right?

And again...how did your balance get to a number that you're looking to get it converted into real money?

@Messages wrote:

@darliciousWhen yoiu monetize loyalty (like what Public Mobile does by crediting forum users) you find all kinds of apologists for bad behavior. For a small effort Public Mobile could engage in good behaviour. And you know what, a lot of companies also do that--credit unused balance of funds to clients. Guess where business goes back to when clients are ready to resume? It's a small, small effort to do the right thing.

@Messages  You are seeking a refund. How is public mobile engaging in bad behavior and not engaging in good behavior? By your own words "credit unused balance of funds to clients." CREDIT not refund. You can keep your account suspended for 89 days and resume and use your accounts CREDIT!!! To prepay for your service. Perhaps prepaid service is not for you and you can apply for postpaid service where accounts are prorated and unused credits are refunded as per the WCC. You seem to think that the WCC shouldn't apply to you because you're special for some reason. If you think the current legislation is inadequate you should make sure you attend the public hearings for your voice to be heard when the WCC regulations are updated later this year.

@Anonymous

My account is being transferred out. There are unused funds. Previously, Public told me it would take two weeks to credit my card. (I have that email in my records). Now they say they get to keep all outstanding balances. That does not jibe.

I run a business too and know it is zero skin off Public Mobile's back to give a customer the outstanding balance.

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Messages wrote:

@Anonymous

My account is not dead (yet). They can still give me my money back...

Then I did misunderstand.

What is the exact situation you're in and your intentions?

If you have Available Funds then let them get exhausted by renewals. If you have a bunch of rewards then self-suspend apparently drops rewards for a month. Then do it again and eventually you'll exhaust your funds. Remove your payment card and finish the prepaid month and port out or let it expire.

Like I said earlier...if your Available Funds got added to by rewards then it's not really real money. You lose nothing.

If you dumped a bunch of real money in your account then that's on you wrt the ToS.

@Anonymous

My account is not dead (yet). They can still give me my money back...

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Messages 

So I went back to your first post in this thread.

Am I right that you appear to have left Public Mobile perhaps by way of porting out your number and that after that your payment card was charged?

There have been sporadic reports of this happening. There was another one a little earlier I see.

You would need to get the moderator team to fix your now dead account and refund your money that was erroneously charged.

As for balance left on the account and then you ported out...that's gone. And I doubt any prepaid provider would return that balance to you.

@darliciousWhen yoiu monetize loyalty (like what Public Mobile does by crediting forum users) you find all kinds of apologists for bad behavior. For a small effort Public Mobile could engage in good behaviour. And you know what, a lot of companies also do that--credit unused balance of funds to clients. Guess where business goes back to when clients are ready to resume? It's a small, small effort to do the right thing.

@Messages 

though I get what you are saying, at the end of the day, if you feel you are owed money, the only place to try to get this resolved is with the moderators. And if you do not get what you believe you are entitled, you still have the CCTS work through.

No one here can help you.

How does Public Mobile prepaid service work?• With prepaid service, you purchase service credits in advance. You can apply your credits to pay for a rate plan,and then you can add voice or data add-ons if you have enough credits.• Prepaid service credits are valid for as long as you have a rate plan active on the account. Rate plans expireevery thirty days unless they are renewed.• Add-ons provide access to local voice minutes or data transmission services. The rates and conditions at thetime of purchase will apply.• Current rates and conditions are available at publicmobile.ca/plans.• Prepaid service credits are non-refundable. After ninety days with no active rate plan, your account will beautomatically deactivated.

@Messages  These are the terms that pertain to your inquiry.

@Anonymous 

We already have the likes of Bell, Robbers, Telus, et al who drove customers away bacause of bad practice. The CRTC is loaded with complaints. Public was supposed to be an alternative. When a company who markets themselves as an alternative acts no different then the companies we fled from, they are just perpetuating the same bad behaviour. It is no skin off their back to give users their balance. It also generates good will, which even has a dollar value attached to it when the company is sold.  What will the company do with money that is not theirs? For a small effort, they could maintain good will instead of perpetuate this culture of distrust we have of all these mobile providers.

@darlicious 

As mentioned before, companies can (and do) put terms of service that are not legally binding. They do this all the time, big companies and small. On top of being not legally binding, it is also bad business practice and unethical. 

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Messages wrote:

If a client has a balance on an account wherein the funds are not being used, it goes back to the client. They company has no justification to take money where no services are being rendered. If there is a card on file, the company can easily credit the card the balance and close the account. Otherwise, it is an abuse.

If a client pre-loads a bunch of real money into their account then that is folly.

If a client has acquired a bunch of rewards and credits that kinda isn't really real money then it does no harm to the client to forfeit it.

@Messages  I suggest you actually read public mobiles terms of service.

@Messages wrote:

There are a lot of abusive terms and conditions that big companies use. This does not make it legally binding.

@Messages  I do not disagree with your statement especially when it comes to postpaid service. However prepaid services are simpler and clearly defined in the WCC with less leeway for customer complaints. Prepaid terms of service are pretty legally binding unless there is an error on the providers part. Public Mobile has no problem refunding monies taken in error. This can easily achieved by contacting the moderators. Expecting a refund because you did not understand the terms of service is a completely different matter and likely a waste of time and effort. Good luck in your endeavors.

If a client has a balance on an account wherein the funds are not being used, it goes back to the client. They company has no justification to take money where no services are being rendered. If there is a card on file, the company can easily credit the card the balance and close the account. Otherwise, it is an abuse.

@MessagesIf you removed your autopay and for some reason you were charged afterwards contact the moderators for a refund. But if you are looking for proration of your services or a refund for a credit on your account this is not possible and clearly stated in the terms of service.

@darlicious wrote:

@Messages wrote:

Hello Dave,

I cancelled my Public Mobile account. Public Mobile is taking my money, can you please give me my money back?

Please and thank you.

@Messages  Sorry there are no refunds. Removing your autopay and/or porting your number will close your account. (after 90 days/immeadiately)

It depends on the circumstances. You need to contact a moderator to resolve any issues with payments. This forum is not the place to fix this.

There are a lot of abusive terms and conditions that big companies use. This does not make it legally binding.

So that means I have to take up the issue with regulators. To take money that is not yours.

darlicious
Mayor / Maire

@Messages wrote:

Hello Dave,

Please and thank you.

@Messages  Sorry there are no refunds. Removing your autopay and/or porting your number will close your account. (after 90 days/immeadiately)

Need Help? Let's chat.