cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Recharge.com vouchers when "Receiving Amount" is less than the voucher amount?

movi
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

In @computergeek541 's message below, when using recharge.com "I've used this service before, and whenever they've advertised strange numbers such as $9.54 or $59.64, the top up was always of the next full dollar amount."

https://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/Paying-for-your-service/Give-us-new-payment-methods-R...

I sometimes have USD in my Paypal and the highest "Top-up amount" for USD is  currently 59.89 CAD (47.99 USD) for a "Receiving amount (after tax)" of  57.04 CAD (see order screen below).recharge2019-05-05.png

In March I saw an amount of $60.21 CAD (Total charge of $48.98 USD from my Paypal) and received a voucher of $60 so the amounts have changed recently.

Can we always trust that Recharge would give a $60 voucher when the "Top-up amount" or "Receiving amount" is slightly under $60 instead of giving a $45 voucher and keeping the difference for themselves?

10 REPLIES 10

movi

In the grey box with the vouchers clicking on the button on the top right that says CAD with the circular arrows lets you select USD
https://www.recharge.com/en/canada/public-mobile-top-up
In March a total charge of $48.98 USD was deducted from my Paypal which only had USD (the currency for payments can be also be selected if there are multiple currencies) for the $60 voucher.

When I made my first payment at a retail store there was Ontario HST of 13% of the total cost of the SIM card + the first 30 days.
$60 x 1.13 = 67.80 CAD with taxes

https://www.paypal.com/ca/smarthelp/article/where-can-i-find-paypal's-currency-exchange-rates-faq197...
"We receive a wholesale rate quote from our bank twice a day and add 2.5% to determine the retail foreign exchange rate to apply to transactions that involve a currency conversion."
In my Paypal account the current Paypal CAD / USD exchange rate is 1.3068
67.80 CAD / 1.3068 = 51.88 USD
51.88 USD - 49.48 USD (today's price for the $60 voucher)
= 2.40 USD saved by using Recharge

Or another way to look at it, the current market exchange rate CAD / USD = ~1.348 https://finance.yahoo.com/quote/CAD=X/
60 CAD / 49.48 USD = 1.2126
1.348 - 1.2126 = 0.1354 = 13.54%

@movi wrote:

Thanks for sharing your experience. So it's a bit of a gamble then until Recharge decides to show the exact Public Mobile vouchers. The $60 voucher for that rate is still worth it for me taking into account the exchange rate, Paypal's USD conversion fee, and taxes.

If it works for you, go for it. I do not remember if I was charged by them in USD or if Paypal just applied the converstion for me.  I believe I asked recharge.com to bill me in CAD.  It's likely a currency converstion thing (or the lack of the need to covert an existing USD Paypal balance) that could be working in your favor.

Even if you only get a $57.04 top up, it's not a huge loss.

For me, i've worked recharge.com to be slightly more expesive than paying Public Mobile directly ever since recharge.com recently introduced some type of new service fee.

movi

Thanks for sharing your experience. So it's a bit of a gamble then until Recharge decides to show the exact Public Mobile vouchers. The $60 voucher for that rate is still worth it for me taking into account the exchange rate, Paypal's USD conversion fee, and taxes.

@movi wrote:

Yes I am aware that Recharge takes a fee for themselves. My question is:

"Can we always trust that Recharge would give a $60 voucher when the "Top-up amount" or "Receiving amount" is slightly under $60 instead of giving a $45 voucher and keeping the difference for themselves?"

My experiences have been that the advertised voucher amounts do get rounded up, but based on the first number shown on the main page, and not the further breakdown.  Is that guaranteed?  No.  What I do know is that at retail locations, non-real-time vouchers are not sold in partial dollar amounts.  All recharge.com really has to do is give you at least what they've advertised.

Unfortunately, I would say that members here could not give you a definitive answer.  As @will13am was saying, this is a question to be asked of the people at recharge.com.

@movi wrote:

Any thoughts about why Recharge would not just show that the purchase as a $60 CAD voucher? Looking at the order I would initially expect that I would be getting the "Receiving amount (after tax) 57.04 CAD" added to my account.

I suggest asking recharge.  Whatever I say would be a total guess.  

movi

Any thoughts about why Recharge would not just show that the purchase as a $60 CAD voucher? Looking at the order I would initially expect to get the "Receiving amount (after tax) 57.04 CAD" added to my account.

movi

Okay I see. I want to confirm because I could not find a guarantee/policy online that they always would round up to the next closest voucher amount of $60 e.g. when the "Top-up amount" is $59.89 CAD but the "Receiving amount (after tax)" is $57.04 CAD. I suppose if they were to ensure they were "selling a product as described" it would be fair that they would have to at least increase my Public Mobile account by $57.04 if they do not give the $60 voucher.

will13am
Oracle
Oracle

I would say yes we can trust them.  They allow PayPal for payment.  PayPal is known to side with the customer over the merchant.  If you can prove that the merchant is not selling a product as described, a good old fashion PayPal dispute will correct that in a hurry.  If recharge picks up too many PayPal infractions, their cost of doing business will go up.  

movi

Yes I am aware that Recharge takes a fee for themselves. My question is:

"Can we always trust that Recharge would give a $60 voucher when the "Top-up amount" or "Receiving amount" is slightly under $60 instead of giving a $45 voucher and keeping the difference for themselves?"

Luddite
Oracle
Oracle

Good info. All the online voucher sites seem to charge more than the face amount. Sometimes they are the only viable option to awaiting a moderator. Robot Frustrated

>>> ALERT: I am not a CSA. Je ne suis pas un Agent du soutien à la clientèle.
Need Help? Let's chat.