cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: Moved from BC to Alberta

Mandeepkainth
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

Hi

I moved from BC TO ALBERTA on February15 2020. Today i realized that i am paying extra taxes on my both numbers.

I am paying 12% but in actual its only 5% in Alberta.

I am paying extra taxes since February-march 2020.

26 REPLIES 26

@Mandeepkainth 

Shell stations, 7/11, Shoppers Drug Mart and London Drugs all sell public mobile vouchers. They can be added to your account immediately after purchase. Voucher amounts generally range from $10 to $100. Shell stations give you air miles, London Drugs gives you loyalty points for their LD Extras program. I gave you a link earlier in this thread to the Voucher Catalogue. Read it. It explains how different retailers offer pm vouchers or instant top ups and if they charge a fee or not.

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Mandeepkainth : Yeah I've gone in to stores and ask the same thing and get the Homer stare. Blink. Huh? A whatnow? I use the term cellphone minutes and oh yeah we have that, which company. Some people have no clue. What drug store or convenience store is on that list that is near you. Go in and ask.

Mandeepkainth

I called couple of locations , they said they don't sell public mobile vouchers..

Mandeepkainth

Can you find stores near me please?

Because i don't know if public mobile has any stores.

My postal code is T3J1X8 Calgary

Mandeepkainth

Got it 

Thanks

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Mandeepkainth : You want that voucher value in before your renewal.

Here's how the system works.

Everything flows in and out of Available Funds.

Money flows in using either a payment card (which charges taxes based on your area code) or by voucher or by Instant Top-up (that might charge taxes like a payment card but I haven't verified that idea). Other credits like the referral credit or promo credits would be added too.

Then if you want to buy add-ons then that comes out of Available Funds. Then come time for renewal, the rewards get added to Available Funds and then the renewal will take what it can from it. If there isn't enough in there to cover the plan cost then it will look for autopay being set up. If it's there then it will take what it needs from the payment card.

If there's no autopay and insufficient money in Available Funds then the account suspends.

You have 90 days to pay up again to keep the account alive. After that the account deactivates and you lose it all.

@Mandeepkainth 

You can load money anytime. Any amount also. 

Mandeepkainth

and can i put voucher in system any time or before monthly auto payment or after.

I mean when is the best time?

Mandeepkainth

How much $$ is the maximum voucher available in stores?

@Mandeepkainth 

Each month you will need to purchase a voucher. Or you could buy a larger amount and leave the extra money/funds for future payments. For example, purchase $100 and leave for a few months payment. 

@Mandeepkainth wrote:

May i need to do all the time or just only for once?

@Mandeepkainth   You'll need to have enough every payment cycle (30 days) to pay for your plan, so you could purchase enough vouchers for a couple of payment cycles (and repeat as necessary) and leave the funds available for payment. 

Just remember PM is prepaid so you wouldn't want to put too much on account as you're unlikely to get refund if you opt to change providers in the future.

Mandeepkainth

May i need to do all the time or just only for once?

@Mandeepkainth wrote:

But i am permanent resident of Alberta.

I changed my home address when i moved to Alberta.

I gave this number to urgent departments like CRA, Schools, Doctors etc.

I want to keep same number and same rewards, and want to pay 5% tax.

Because i am physically living in Alberta 

@Mandeepkainth   There's no need to change your number.  Just how you fund (pay) your account.  Keep your CC/Debit on account (don't change it except to update for expiry), but go to a convenience or gas store and purchase PM vouchers and load the funds from them by dialing 611 and entering the 12 digit PIN a couple of days before your payment due date.  You will only pay 5% GST for the vouchers if in Alberta.

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Mandeepkainth : You can. But your only option to pay GST only is to buy vouchers in a store in AB. There is an online/physical store in ON that will charge just GST for out of province buyers but their supply isn't very reliable for some reason. Other fully online vendors charge fees.

Mandeepkainth

But i am permanent resident of Alberta.

I changed my home address when i moved to Alberta.

I gave this number to urgent departments like CRA, Schools, Doctors etc.

I want to keep same number and same rewards, and want to pay 5% tax.

Because i am physically living in Alberta 

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Mandeepkainth : You can. You can have autopay set up and get the $2 reward. Then you buy vouchers in an AB store and pay GST and redeem the voucher to pay for your services.  If there's enough Available Funds to cover your plan cost minus rewards ($2 or more in this case) then the system uses that before it goes to the payment card.

So people in AB will be needing their own calling ability to call your BC number. Just so you know.

@Mandeepkainth 

Nothing...everything will remain the same but you will have to continue paying 12% tax.

@Mandeepkainth 

When you go to a retailer to purchase a public mobile voucher you ask for a dollar amount that will cover your plan amount or more. So if you ask for a $40 voucher they will charge you $40+tax. In Alberta that would be $42. You then load the voucher on your account thru your self serve or by calling 611 on your phone. You then have $40 on balance in your account. This will be used to pay for your plan or if you want to buy an add on it will deduct from your balance when you submit a payment to purchase an add on. Examples of vouchers can be found here...

https://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/Paying-for-your-service/Voucher-Catalogue/m-p/479165#...

Mandeepkainth

i want to keep same numbers and automatic payment method.

So what i need to do?

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Mandeepkainth : It's another word for money. Or a shortening of Available Funds.

Mandeepkainth

I don't understand about funds?

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Mandeepkainth : You can buy vouchers in many stores. Some call them minutes...but they're not really for this place. They're a value of money to deposit in your account. Buying those vouchers while physically in a store in AB will only charge you GST. The vendor doesn't know your number. They're just selling you value.

Using the payment card in the self-serve causes the system to look at your area code and charge taxes according to the province that your area code is allocated to.

@Mandeepkainth wrote:

Can you explain about second option please?

@Mandeepkainth 

You can purchase payment vouchers in store.  Then you can load the funds into your account either via your self service account or dialing 611.  Since you live in Alberta, you only pay GST.  Here is some more information:

https://www.publicmobile.ca/en/on/get-help/articles/pay-for-your-services-in-retail

Vouchers can be purchased at Walmart, Shoppers, Canadian Tire, gas stations, etc.  

Mandeepkainth

Can you explain about second option please?

Dunkman
Oracle
Oracle

@Mandeepkainth 

@Mandeepkainth wrote:

Hi

I moved from BC TO ALBERTA on February15 2020. Today i realized that i am paying extra taxes on my both numbers.

I am paying 12% but in actual its only 5% in Alberta.

I am paying extra taxes since February-march 2020.

Do you still have a BC phone number/area code?  Your bill is based on your phone number's area code, not your physical home address.  You can change your phone number to Alberta area code and then you should be charged only GST.  

Another option is to buy a payment voucher in store and load the funds monthly. If you purchase vouchers in store, you only pay GST. 

Need Help? Let's chat.