cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: Extended Absence

mcswiggan
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

Great post. I suspend my account for 90 days. I'm on auto pay. I logged in and reactivated. Since I was out of country I checked my messages and could not get through. Could not log in either. Found out my account was suspended. I have tried several times to get some help but their robot is pathetic. Now I fear I'm going to lose my cell number. I can't get anyone at public to help. I can't believe I recommended them to half a dozen people. Anyway I can get my account re activate. HELP!

@Moderator 

33 REPLIES 33

@pm-smayer97 wrote:

@chukdefatey wrote:

@darlicious , You sir are incorrect. Not all Providers are 90 days. Bell, Virgin and lucky mobile are 120 days.

Sorry that is not entirely correct....

directly from the Virgin Mobile site:

"59.......if your Prepaid account remains at $0 for 90 calendar days (or other applicable period) (note: you will also lose your mobile number and other identifiers); "

From the Lucky site:

"33....... If your account remains suspended and is not successfully charged for four consecutive Monthly Charge Dates, it will be deactivated as of 11:59:59 PM ET on your fourth consecutive unsuccessful Monthly Charge Date..."

-> meaning that if you suspend just before your monthly renewal, you only have at most 90 days.... (though theoretically you can get 120 days if you suspend the same day you renew).

So slightly different.

Just to add to this info for comparison. I have a Virgin Mobile POST-PAID plan that is no longer on a contract. I wanted to suspend the account for a period of time while I sort out some things. Turns out they want to charge me $20/month for the privilege to suspend and hold my account so I can "preserve" my tel #.

Not only that, they do it by placing you on a "Be-Right-Back" plan (if you can call it that) so that when you want to unsuspend the account, you can only select from in-market plans at that time... in other words you lose your previous plan.

One of the BIG reasons (among MANY) I do not like post-paid (I only got it because of a VERY SPECIAL RARE RETENTION OFFER at the time over 2 years ago).

Needless to say, I am cancelling that plan for good. Will eventually get another PM plan to replace it after I sort things out.

@pm-smayer97 

Now I have to edit my edit! But that's an interesting theory....one that should be tested. Unfortunately it is not one I can test even if I wanted to....

@darlicious wrote:

@pm-smayer97 

Along with that extra lost/stolen glitch that I am only first hearing of now....so if you are my bf who hardly a month goes by that I don't have to "report" his phone lost/stolen for a few hours to a few weeks....you not only don't get your rewards not applied upon renewal but if you rely on autopay to pay for your plan your service will get suspended to boot because of an unknown but impending autopay failure?!! That explains a lot! And I have several posts from today alone to edit and update with this breaking news!!

Sorry... I did not explain myself correctly in my previous post... I have now corrected it.

I meant to say that the AutoPay reward will not be applied if you use the Lost Phone feature to suspend and unsuspend an account, even if it happens before the renewal date, and even if it is for a very short period of time. Sorry for any confusion.

That said, I would not be surprised if it also is contributing to the AutoPay not triggering properly to renew a plan but I cannot say for certain, as I always suspend an account just before it renews and never in the middle of a period, so I have no direct experience with that.

@pm-smayer97 

I have never relied on autopay and have always suspended accounts via lost/stolen to either maintain voicemail or because there is a balance that exceeds the plan cost. I was completely unaware that autopay is automatically triggered to renew if you remove it for self suspension and re-add it. Personally like @wetcoaster I still wouldn't rely on it when facing account deactivation but you do make a valid point.

Along with that extra lost/stolen glitch that I am only first hearing of now....so if you are my bf who hardly a month goes by that I don't have to "report" his phone lost/stolen for a few hours to a few weeks....you not only don't get your rewards not applied upon renewal but if you rely on autopay to pay for your plan your service will get suspended to boot because of an unknown but impending autopay failure?!! That explains a lot! And I have several posts from today alone to edit and update with this breaking news!!

@mcswiggan 

Ok you have two very valid points and I may be able to supply you with a third after I go hunting for a screenshot that @softech  has requested. But if you want to have a chance at recovering your number ( as previously mentioned) stop quibbling over buying a $10 sim card! You can recover that cost after you get your phone number back.....Geesh?!!

@wetcoaster 

@mcswiggan  stated that they were on AutoPay. The only way to prevent AutoPay from triggering is to suspend the account manually. That can only be done via a moderator or using the Lost Phone feature in self-serve.

The AutoPay Reward will also fail to trigger be applied if you use the Lost Phone feature for a short while and restore the phone, again using the Lost Phone feature, before the renewal date. PM has attempted to fix that scenario, was successful for a time but IIRC the problem returned.

So to the OP's situation, just like you experienced and I experience all the time, if the account is suspended beyond the renewal date using the Lost Phone feature, it is unclear why PM has not set it up to be re-activated automatically after removing the suspension if one is on AutoPay.

@mcswiggan wrote:

I logged in several days before the 90 day cut off and rescinded my suspension of the phone. I was on auto pay. They stopped taking payments and canceled my account. No email notification at all. Shameful.

Your exact course of action and timeline is still not entirely clear to me...

My understanding is that autopay is only triggered in the night of your initial renewal at the end of your last active day of service. To resume your service within the 90 days of suspension a manual payment, either by credit card (after the removal of the lost/stolen block) or payment voucher.

I have a secondary account that I regularly let go into suspension if it's not needed. It is suspending because I don't have enough available funds in the account and auto pay is failing on purpose. The whole point for my renewal reminder on my personal calendar being set for 85 days is that I have the time to sort out any kind of issue that might crop up around re-activation - but it means that I need to keep an eye on things and be proactive in these 4 days before the account is lost forever. 

The one time I suspended this account via lost/stolen feature and didn't delete / alter the autopay information on the account, I had to do a manual payment after reversing lost/stolen, and hit the "reactivate" button. Again, because I had those few days available, I would have been able to either try again next day or get the moderators involved if, for whatever reason the process didn't go smoothly.

Keeping that now grandfathered plan is worth that bit of extra time for double checking. (To me anyway.)

@mcswiggan wrote:

I logged in several days before the 90 day cut off and rescinded my suspension of the phone. I was on auto pay. They stopped taking payments and canceled my account. No email notification at all. Shameful.

Therein is the source of the problem.... when you Unsuspend an account it does NOT automatically renew...even if you are on AutoPay. A REAL PROBLEM I have raised multiple times to PM.

The system shows that it is still Suspended because it is past the original renewal date.

Unfortunately, the only way to re-activate such an account is to make a payment of ANY amount (min allowed is $1). Then AutoPay WILL kick in as needed to top up the account to make sure there are enough funds THEN it will automatically renew/re-activate the account.

(I know about this VERY WELL because I manage MULTIPLE accounts and do this on a regular basis for over 3 years now).

So it is actually a 2 step process.

I do not know why PM does not make it a 1 step process so that you can just click Re-activate Account and that both unsuspends the account like the "Lost Phone" feature, then automatically apply AutoPay if you are passed the renewal date.

Again, ask if PM will transfer the deactivated account to a new SIM.

@darlicious   do you have the link to the post about suggestions to PM? 

I think OP brought out a good point to suggest PM, I think an email is certainly helpful to remind people account was suspended.  Probably would be nice for couple reminder before account is terminated.

@mcswiggan wrote:

so, for that 90 days, Autopay should have kicked in for all 3 months?  you didn't take Autopay off and purposely not pay for 80+ days because of your extended absence ?

When you come back before 90 days due, did you try to  manually pay?    If so, any sign of successful or failed payment?  It would be helpful details when you talk to Mod to try to give you back the number

How many days past the 90 days?  I hope not many.  Open the ticket now, today and try to get the mod to look into this ASAP.  It's a number with Telus, so, there is chance you can get it back.

mcswiggan

No I ported it from PC Mobile which was ported from Telus.

They are far to quick to close an account and return a number. Then beg me to come back. Sad.

mcswiggan

It's their mistake and never should have happened. I would like them to fix it.

The number is very important to me and is tied to many 2 step verifications.

I'm just not sure why they won't re activate or release the number for porting. It seems a bit vicious.

mcswiggan

@pm-smayer97 wrote:

@Dunkman   Though it is true PM will not re-activate a terminated account (which is different that cannot), they CAN transfer a terminated account to another SIM, as per my recent experience. Of course, MMV.

@pm-smayer97 

This situation was brought up to management on the oracle side before.  The official guidance for moderators is to not retrieve the old number for suspended account.  However, I guess that it also depends on moderator and the specific circumstances.  YMMV as you mentioned.  

note that CHEAP PM SIMS can be found for as little as $0 here...

https://canadiancellsupplies.com/collections/sim-cards

Currently at $5, including free shipping. I got one for only $2 a few months ago.

@Dunkman   Though it is true PM will not re-activate a terminated account (which is different that cannot), they CAN transfer a terminated account to another SIM, as per my recent experience. Of course, MMV.

@mcswiggan 

The community members on the forum are customers like yourself and we don't have access to your account. We can offer advice and troubleshoot.  

Have you been messaging the moderators?  If moderators say that your account can't be revived, then unfortunately, your account is permanently closed and your phone number was returned to original carrier which you first got the number.  Did you get the phone number from Public mobile initially?  Or did you port your number from another mobile company?

@mcswiggan 

What's more important your phone number or $5-$10 ? Amazon and Canadian Cell supplies have $5 sim cards that can be shipped fairly quickly or you can possibly get a friend or family member to purchase one from a local retailer? If you can recover your phone number....worry about recovering the cost of the sim card later once you know you have an active sim card with your phone number on it in your possession or a family member.

Its not like moderators have a sim card in hand that they can perform this service for you....they are shipped from different distributors. Work with them in the short term to achieve your immediate goal then worry about the restitution later.

@mcswiggan  you were trying to pay at around 90th day, right?  were you able to logon at the time?   Sound like you were able to logon and you tried to pay ?   you clicked pay but you didn't aware it didn't process your credit card?

mcswiggan

Thanks. I'm trying that now but only if they send me a free Sim. I'm not paying for their mistake.

mcswiggan

Thanks so much for your help and interest. The number when called says not in service. The Number Barn, parking service, has attempted multiple times to port but Public is refusing.

I have been at this for over a month and I started as soon as I discovered their error.

Very frustrated and tired of their crappy service. They are wearing me down. My parents want to switch to another provider from bell but I will not recommend Public.

It's funny that there are so many with the same problem but they don't seem to want to fix the issue. Their auto pay is obviously broken and there account notifications are seriously garbage.

Thanks again.

@mcswiggan  For what it's worth, I successfully recovered an account that was terminated because I went over the 90 days by 2 days. I simply asked the PM transfer the tel # of the closed account to a new SIM I happened to have on hand (it was already active with another number that I was willing to sacrifice but I do not believe this made any difference). I pleaded my case and they helpfully obliged.

So they do have the ability to do so. YMMV

@mcswiggan 

I apologise I had to go back and read a few of your posts from a couple of weeks ago. Please understand we are only other customers helping each other out. You have to contact the moderators yourself to recieve the kind of customer service you need....and this would have been much better to do shortly after you discovered your account was deactivated. 

But seeing as it might be under 30 days you may be able to recover your phone number at least. Which provider did you originally get your phone number from? If you like you can private message me the number and I will call it to see what happens....its a starting point.

mcswiggan

My account has been suspended and they say cannot be revived.

The only piece you are missing is that I had no idea they did it. I am not using the phone and they did not warn via email they just stopped auto pay and closed the account. So upsetting. Can beleive they think I would ever be won back with **bleep** service like that.

@mcswiggan 

Well I am sorry to hear of you issue trying to maintain your service with public mobile. As I understand it you had trouble reactivating your service before the 90 days of suspension was up? Has your account been deactivated? Can you still log into your account? If you cannot and the 90 days has past as it seems you are getting winback email offers there is probably very little you can do to retrieve your phone number let alone your rewards.

If less than 90 days has passed since your account was deactivated then it may be possible to retrieve your phone number from the original provider that supplied it. Call your number if it has not been reassigned start there to see if you can get it back by activating with them. You can then port it out to your preferred mobile provider.

If you had come to the community or contacted the moderators when you were having trouble reactivating your acount or trying to port out then we could have been able to provide you with more assistance.

Unless I have misunderstood your post....

mcswiggan

Dear Customer Service

Customer Service

I have been a loyal Public Mobile customer for a while now. I have recommended your service to several friends and family members. I had one or two bonuses from doing that. In November I traveled out of country for work. I kept my account because I wanted to maintain my bonuses and keep my number active.

Due to the pandemic, my original plan to fly home regularly and be home for Christmas was put on hold. For this reason I suspended my service for 90 days.

Ahead of that 90 days, I went into my account and restarted my service. This is where my Public Mobile nightmare begins.

Since I was overseas, there was no way to receive text and Public sent no emails concerning service to me. My restart of service was ignored by you. This is something quite coming that I have found through the community. I discovered the error the next month when no charge was made to my credit card. I have been trying ever since then to have my account reinstated as it was or to at the very least, allow my number to be ported out. Nothing has worked. I have no idea why Public is being so obstinate about this. My parents just had a similar issue with Bell and their number was retrieved and account reinstated.

What is the issue with your lack of similar service?

I have jumped through ever hoop possible but still nothing.

Why is this so common with Public?

Now I am getting emails asking me to return to Public. Are you kidding me? There is no way that your shifty and error prone service is ever getting me back. Plus I will be actively warning others away from Public. Probably I will suggest Fizz since I know several people who just love their service.

What are you willing to do to win me back? I want my old number and my account with all my bonuses back. Will you do that?

If not then please at least have the decency to release my cell number to Number Barn so I can park it until I return from Europe.

Danny McSwiggan

@chukdefatey wrote:

@darlicious , You sir are incorrect. Not all Providers are 90 days. Bell, Virgin and lucky mobile are 120 days.

Sorry that is not entirely correct....

directly from the Virgin Mobile site:

"59.......if your Prepaid account remains at $0 for 90 calendar days (or other applicable period) (note: you will also lose your mobile number and other identifiers); "

From the Lucky site:

"33....... If your account remains suspended and is not successfully charged for four consecutive Monthly Charge Dates, it will be deactivated as of 11:59:59 PM ET on your fourth consecutive unsuccessful Monthly Charge Date..."

-> meaning that if you suspend just before your monthly renewal, you only have at most 90 days.... (though theoretically you can get 120 days if you suspend the same day you renew).

So slightly different.

chukdefatey
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

@mcswiggan 

All prepaid providers follow the same mandate by the WCC. All accouts suspended for 90 days without payment will be cancelled and dectivated. So if you are going to warn people be sure to include all prepaid providers in Canada.

Anonymous
Not applicable

@mcswiggan : Yeah they only text an autopay failure notice. But if you're not in Canada or the states (or with this SIM in) then you wouldn't see it. Not sure what you can do now. Throw yourself on the mercy of the moderators and see if they'll reinstate you due to no fault of your own I suppose. Not sure how well that has worked out for others.

Can you call your number to see if it has been taken by someone yet?

Edit: You said you knew you had suspended. How long does Fizz let you keep an account in a suspended state before they drop the account off the rolls?

Edit again: You wouldn't be able to port out to a non-Telus/Koodo provider from a suspended/deactivated account.

mcswiggan

Can't log in. Autopay stopped account deactivated. No warning or emails. Very disappointed. Can't even access billing to get proof so I can port my number elsewhere.

Out if country with my Sim so can't even try it. So disappoint in public. I will be warning people to stay away from this company. My sister is with Fizz and has no issues like this. 😡😡😡

Need Help? Let's chat.