cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Public Mobile lower SIM prices?

Naepalm
Mayor / Maire

If there are moderators that see us recommending canadiancellsupplies.com that is selling SIM cards for  $2.99. Maybe they could pass that information on to PM. 

PM should offer this same price and then customers will buy direct from Public mobile. 

Does Public Mobile generally not worry about circumstances such as this? 

19 REPLIES 19

@Korth as we speak about it Public has put their SIM cards on sale for 5.00 lol

also Ccs has a store front off finch and the 400 in Toronto. They are legit, it would be like buying plan or setting it up from Walmart who has given SIM cards for free, then thinking well Walmart gave this to me for free so this must not be legit. 

@Starshoot wrote:

If you use a referral code, then you get $10 back, which is the cost of the SIM. I believe PM is just trying to prevent abuse from clients. 

I don't beleive that. I see this is being a purely a cost thing.  If the sim cards were still free, there is no reason to "abuse" because the sim cards would be worthless.  A $10 account credit doesn't cost the same thing as paying $10 to a shipping company.

Starshoot
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

If you use a referral code, then you get $10 back, which is the cost of the SIM. I believe PM is just trying to prevent abuse from clients. 

@LurganIeUk wrote:
You appear to be apprehensive about online purchases. First of all it is only $3 risk ... 

It's not about risking three bucks. That's just coffee money.

It's about the risk of buying a SIM card from an "untrusted" online source. Resellers offering an item cheaper than the original seller seems like a deal which is too good to be true. So the real risk is getting stuck with a potentially compromised SIM card - and being exposed to potential SIM fraud, SIM scams, SIM swaps, etc - which might suddenly cost you your phone number or your account or your data or your money at any time, for as long as you keep using the SIM.

Paying $3 is better than paying $10. Most online vendors are legit, they just want to flip some sales and get some numbers, and they make great camouflage for the relatively few online vendors with unethical or criminal operations. But adding a middle-man never adds value no matter how you look at it. While compromising your privacy or security or communications for the whopping coffee money savings is not really a good deal at all. I'd rather spend $10 at the authorized official original source to guarantee I'm buying no problems.

fdrcamb519
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

@Chuckyy2 

I’ve placed numerous orders with them, until now, no, problems, they accept PayPal, makes me feel safe. All good

@Chuckyy2 wrote:

Do you really want to save $7 and maybe get screwed over?

For that price, always better to stay safe unless you buy it from a known safe place.

You appear to be apprehensive about online purchases. First of all it is only $3 risk. Secondly there are a number of blogs like this that would have the BAD word out right away and would sink them. Also you should look at any online seller.....their Google reviews. You also may have a PayPal dispute option as well. You need to think things out wether you will screwed or not and if you want to be or not want to be. 

@JoyLuck oh that was like 3 years ago, interesting. 

@computergeek541 oh I had read in a recent thread someone say this. Ill have to look for it. 

@Naepalm wrote:

When you purchase a SIM on the Public Mobile website they actually have the closest store near you deliver it. So if this guy is closest to you you might get it from them anyway lol

@Naepalm This isn't true. Sim card orders are sent out from a central warehouse using specialized shipping companies (usually Canada Post). They are not dispatched form stores, nor delivered by them. 

@Naepalm wrote:

@popping huh? I have never heard about this, or is this a joke? 

https://www.iphoneincanada.ca/carriers/public-mobile-sim-swap/

@popping huh? I have never heard about this, or is this a joke? 

@Chuckyy2 the seller is actually a wireless store in toronto much like if you were to buy it from the source or wirelesswave. Nothing shady. The only way it would be shady is if they were pre activating the SIM for you. 

When you purchase a SIM on the Public Mobile website they actually have the closest store near you deliver it. So if this guy is closest to you you might get it from them anyway lol

But, yes I do understand your heaitation sometimes finding the best deal really is not worth the hassle. 

Chuckyy2
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

Do you really want to save $7 and maybe get screwed over?

For that price, always better to stay safe unless you buy it from a known safe place.

popping
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

@will13am wrote:

@Naepalm , Public Mobile used to give it SIM cards for free as part of a SIM swap program. It was abused and ever since we have had to pay $10.  If you consider shipping costs, it's not that bad.  

If you guys are thinking about the SIM swap spams going on for the last few months,

NO, it was a trading useless thing with a useful PM SIM card.

public-mobile-SIM-Swap

I thought I heard that PM originally gave them free. Now they are protecting from being taken advantage of....pay $10 online.....don’t sign up......no loss to PM.....sign up and they will give you  $10 back......find a SIM for free or less than $10....sign up and get $10 off.....you’re a shrewd shopper. 

popping
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

@Naepalm 

Your suggestion is good. 

Sometimes, London Drugs or Walmart have free SIM promo. 

But PM may not lower their price to compete with their resellers.  

iliketotalk
Mayor / Maire

@Naepalm It's a win win for Public,they sold a couple of thousand sims to Canadian cell supplies  for a buck or two each and they potentially get a couple of thousand new customers!!

will13am
Oracle
Oracle

@Naepalm , Public Mobile used to give it SIM cards for free as part of a SIM swap program. It was abused and ever since we have had to pay $10.  If you consider shipping costs, it's not that bad.  

gblackma
Mayor / Maire

I guess so @Naepalm Since they haven't done so. I guess they look at it as they have already been paid for them. Stay safe. 

Need Help? Let's chat.