cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Prorate account billing

ccwhUo56E9RUreg
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

Hi,

I switched my plan from the $28 unlimited calling / text + 500MB data to the Same with $25 + extra 500MB data , and was half way through the billing period.  It looks like I was pre-billed for a full month, and was looking ot get the account pro-rated.

Thanks!

10 REPLIES 10

@krazykiwi wrote:

@mh1983 wrote:

Right, the concept of proration doesn't apply to a prepaid account. You paid up-front, whereas on a postpaid account you pay after the fact. 

In the future, consider switching plans upon next renewal, which retains your existing plan for the remainer of the plan period. That way, you don't lose funds you already paid and then seamlessly switch over to the new plan/pricing.

This is correct and applies to all prepaid carriers. Always select "On next Renewal" unless you need it switched immeditately in which case you may consider buying an add-on for what you need. In Canada Add-ons roll over until used up. You would need to work out which is most cost effective.

Wind/Freedom prorates prepaiid/Pay Before plans for customers who perform plan changes.  However, they use an unfavorable sort of "rounding" method for the calculations.  Prepaid customers used to be prorated by the day at Wind.  I would argue that no proration isn't because of prepaid itself, but because there is no rule that forces them to. Prepaid customers can very easily prorate if they choose to.  It's just that they don't want to because not prorating can work in the carrier's favor.

@cavemantoronto wrote:

@ccwhUo56E9RUreg wrote:

Hmmm, all I remember seeing was a warning that the change would take affect immediately.  Not that I would get re-billed for the same month.  There also wasn't an option to pro-date the change either. 

Seems like it is more of a cheap cash grab than a legit account billing policy.

As I understand it, I'm on a post paid plan but I have a credit on my account since Iaccidentlyy made a big payment and just left it on..

It's pretty ridiculous I need to go through the peanut gallery for a simple billing issue fix..

I'll reach out to the mod as recommended.

There are no postpaid plans here. That warning also says that your old plan will be lost.

There seems to be a lot of assumptions going on. As @cavemantoronto mentioned there are no post paid plans. Also you are not billed monthly, it is very clearly laid out that it is 30 day cycle with no reference to months anywhere. As far as it being a “cheap cash grab”, as mentioned before this is the same policy applied to all “prepaid” accounts, nothing special happening at PM!

It is clear you either did not research what you were doing prior or did not pay attention to what you were doing as you made the plan change, either way, referring to the community or PM as “the peanut gallery” is by no way going to get you assistance with correcting a mistake you made.

@ccwhUo56E9RUreg wrote:

Hmm, all I remember seeing was a warning that the change would take affect immediately.  Not that I would get re-billed for the same month.  There also wasn't an option to pro-date the change either. 

As I understand it, I'm on a post paid plan but I have a credit on my account since I accidently made a big payment and just left it on..

It's pretty ridiculous I need to go through the peanut gallery for a simple billing issue fix..

There are no postpaid plans here. That warning also says that your old plan will be lost.

ccwhUo56E9RUreg
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

Hmm, all I remember seeing was a warning that the change would take affect immediately.  Not that I would get re-billed for the same month.  There also wasn't an option to pro-date the change either. 

As I understand it, I'm on a post paid plan but I have a credit on my account since I accidently made a big payment and just left it on..

stonechucker
Mayor / Maire

@ccwhUo56E9RUreg,

Everything said is correct.  If you wish to pursue this further, the Moderator_Team may be able to assist you with a friendly adjustment to your account, but this is by no means a statement to say it will happen.

If you wish to continue this further, please use the envelope icon in the upper right corner of this screen, to send a Private Message to the "Moderator_Team" account.

kselmak
Mayor / Maire

Hi

There is a warning when you try to switch warning you exactly about this.

The right thing to do would be to postdate the switch to your due date so that you have chance to use what you pay for.

You could contact the moderators to see if they could cancel the switch or to see if they would be willing to credit you back as it was an honest mistake. 

How much data did you have before switching? If you had most of it or not than half it would be illogical for you to switch and lose all of that.

The moderators are very nice and very helpful, they will try to help and I'm sure they would like to keep another customer too.

The link is https://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/notes/composepage/note-to-user-id/22437

My advice is always always read carefully before clicking ok specially when someone is holding your credit card.

Another advice would be if in a doubt always come to community, there are lots of people here who are willing to help and share their experience.

Hope it works out for you

Cheers

@Triguy wrote:

PM plans are prepaid.  Generally when you swtich plans then you lose any remaning minutes/texts/data that is unused.  You could try to ask for a refund but it is not guaranteed.

Moderator can be reached at 

https://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/notes/composepage/note-to-user-id/22437

There is no point in contacting the MODs, this is clearly explained on the website and is a part of PM's service model, "Hands-on" where you are capable of managing your own account.

@mh1983 wrote:

Right, the concept of proration doesn't apply to a prepaid account. You paid up-front, whereas on a postpaid account you pay after the fact. 

In the future, consider switching plans upon next renewal, which retains your existing plan for the remainer of the plan period. That way, you don't lose funds you already paid and then seamlessly switch over to the new plan/pricing.

This is correct and applies to all prepaid carriers. Always select "On next Renewal" unless you need it switched immeditately in which case you may consider buying an add-on for what you need. In Canada Add-ons roll over until used up. You would need to work out which is most cost effective.

mh1983
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

Triguy
Mayor / Maire

PM plans are prepaid.  Generally when you swtich plans then you lose any remaning minutes/texts/data that is unused.  You could try to ask for a refund but it is not guaranteed.

Moderator can be reached at 

https://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/notes/composepage/note-to-user-id/22437

Need Help? Let's chat.