cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Problem with data

gamble
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

I just activated my plan,$30,,500mb of data, unlimited talk... after activation i tested speed 3tim and I got message that  I use all my data?. .500mb for test speed ?..

9 REPLIES 9

timjcarter
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

I did a speed test and it used 250 mb. It uses a large file for upload and download depending how long it takes.. Quite easy to use all your data that way.

srlawren
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

@ckl that was on my OP5T, wifi turned off, connected to Koodo on LTE.  Near downtown Vancouver (an area called Yaletown).  Definitely my fastest test ever.  It even beats the office Wifi which is on a Shaw business 150 connection, I believe.

>>> ALERT: I am not a moderator. For account or activation assistance, please click here.

ckl
Town Hero / Héro de la Ville

@srlawren204Mbps? Is that with your oneplus phone on PM or using Wifi? The max I've ever gotten was 180Mbps on PM and also 180Mbps on Wifi (Shaw 150 plan).

If the OP is getting 200Mbps downloads, then he will max out his 500MB data plan in 20 seconds. (200Mb/s / 8bits/byte=25MB/s so 500MB/25MB/s=20seconds).

EDIT: Actually, the OP is on a 3G plan, so there is no way he would get anywhere near 200Mbps. That said, I would be suspicious as well since 3 speed tests at 3G speeds should not exceed 500MB. So if PM's 3G is capped at 2.5Mbps, then the calculation would be:

(2.5Mb/s / 8bits/byte= 0.3125MB/s so 500MB/0.3125MB/s= 1600seconds which is 26 minutes)

srlawren

@gamble if it's the Ookla speed test you used, go to the Results tab and look at the 3 tests.  It will actually show you the amount you used for upload and for download, as I've hightlighted with green boxes in my screenshot above.  I bet if you add those two numbers across all 3 tests you'll be near, at, or over 500MB, unfortunately.

>>> ALERT: I am not a moderator. For account or activation assistance, please click here.

srlawren

I've used as much as 180.5 MB in a single test.  Check it out:

Screenshot_20180501-084527.jpg

PJC
Town Hero / Héro de la Ville

I believe the amount of data used depends on the speed of the connection, so let's say the connection speend is 20mbps then it may need ~20mb, and if a connection speend is 50mbps, then it may need ~50mb to complete. The faster the connection, the more data used, but it also depends on the site being used to run the tests.

Short version: yes, you can use up all of your 500mb of data in 5 speedtests.

koimr1
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

@gamble wrote:

I just activated my plan,$30,,500mb of data, unlimited talk... after activation i tested speed 3tim and I got message that  I use all my data?. .500mb for test speed ?..

Yikes.

If you use Ookla's speedtest then basically it tries to download as much as it can within a certain period of time - if you have a good connection, you're gonna download a lot.

Just for reference I've done three speed tests in the past two days and each one used about 75-80MB and my results were middle-ish compared to what I've seen from others (I don't have my phone with me right this second but I believe they were 40-55 Mbps down).

Here's the details on speedtest: How does the test itself work? How is the result calculated?

mimmo

That does seem like alot. What phone are you using ? Can you check your usage history?

LEGO
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

Why would you test speed tree times if you have only 500 MB of data? Woman LOL

Need Help? Let's chat.