cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Possible to keep more than 1 card on file?

Pawprints1986
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

Tonight I decided to use a little bit of statement credit that I had gotten from a cash back credit card I had already paid off, so I was a few dollars over my credit limit. Thought I'd use these few dollars to add to my account here, cuz I only use this card at certain places and since I'm isolated, it would just sit there... so figured why not? 

So I ended up deleting my normal card I want to use, then submitting this card I wanted to use the few dollars from, made a one time payment in the amount of those few dollars (adjusted for taxes), made sure that processed properly and completely, and then deleted that card so I could re-add my card I want to normally use... And then finally re-registered for auto pay

This did all work according to plan and my auto pay reward came back instantly, but, is there an easier way that I've missed that lets you add or use a second card for a one time payment (not voucher) while keeping your main card attached too? 🤔🤔

10 REPLIES 10

@Pawprints1986, yes, I did cancel the card. But, the weirdest thing is, American Express still sends me a statement at the beginning of each year, for the past 3 years. This year, they decided to charge me for a service charge, I guess for inactivity? Even though I have already cancelled it.

I guess, I could spend an hour on the phone, and see if they can just mail the credit as a cheque, and inform them of my decision that I no longer need the card as American Express isn't readily accepted at many places!

Pawprints1986

@mpcdesign do you still have the card info itself? If so and it's still an active account technically, you may still be able to take advantage without the physical card... If you remember that little number on the back you'd be golden

I figured what better time to use the bit of cash back reward sitting there than when nothing else income wise is coming in? Not using that card to shop right now... No cerb for me

Eta : while rereading I noticed you did cancel it already. Bummer! But, something to keep in mind anyway in the future 🙂

mpcdesign
Mayor / Maire

@Pawprints1986, that is so smart. I had an American Express  Costco card, and then they changed to Mastercard, so, I was stuck with American Express. I cancel my card because I didn't need it anymore. Even shredded the card. But they gave me a cashback credit of $23.55. But, I no longer have this card anymore. Ad no, I am not planning to order another card.

I could have used that for this! What a grand idea. PawPrints1986, you are a genius! 

Pawprints1986

Technically I guess I changed cards on file twice but deleting the first one took autopsy off, so I just left it off until I added my main card back. But it seems the rewards will still issue just fine since I signed back up for it so quick... I'll find out for sure in a few days I suppose 🙂

Naepalm
Mayor / Maire

@Pawprints1986 dis you cancel autopay or did you just change the card on file? I think you can do it both ways. And sounds like it worked just fine. 

Pawprints1986

I'm guessing also if that possibility were going to be added as a feature, they would have by now? Of having more than 1 registered card but choose which is your primary type thing? It could prevent some people's autopay issues too.... 🤔🤔

@Pawprints1986 wrote:

Thankfully this won't be a thing I'll need to do often... Quite the hassle lol

@Pawprints1986   Yes it would be nice to just be able to add another card to take advantage of some promotion/cash available on a different CC and leaving the card you want to use most often on the account.   I've had to do that myself as well a couple of times and agree whilst it is a bit of a hassle replacing the card on account, it doesn't really take more than a few minutes at the most. 😊

Pawprints1986

Thankfully this won't be a thing I'll need to do often... Quite the hassle lol

Nanqui
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

No, only one SIM card and phone number per account. To open another account, you must also have a different email address.

gblackma
Mayor / Maire

No, there's only 1 autopay credit card allowed at at any time @Pawprints1986 .  The only way to do it is to remove, add and remove it again. Exactly how you did it. Stay safe. 

Need Help? Let's chat.