cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ported my number and seeing unknown charges

adamp53
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

Hello,

I recently ported my number from Public Mobile to Fido and not only was I immediately locked out of my account, I am now seeing a $50 charge on my credit card that I cannot investigate.

Has anyone else had this happen? It seems ridiculous to prevent me from logging in completely.

10 REPLIES 10

I am not sure how reactivating would explain the situation where OP cannot determine the cause of a charge.  Account reactivation should be a known charge.

@HALIMACS  

To me sounds like they tried to port out after the payment due date. Same example as before.

If payment due date was the 31st. They removed their card on December 30th. They should have ported out on the 30th. If they tried porting out the afternoon of 31st that would have been to late since the renewal process starts early morning the 31st. 

Resulting in them having to log back in and "Reactivate" their account to bring it back to active status so they could port out. Resulting in them actually paying their plan which would have remained active and valid for another 30 days.

Easiest way for someone to port out is if the 31st is payment due date. A few days before due date remove card and do your port. Not wait till very last minute.

@Jb456 & @will13am , could it be that in the process of the OP removing their credit card, then reinstating their credit card, something was done that somehow resulted in the system 'believing' the OP wanted to reactivate, thus triggering the card again for the amount of the cycle? 

And to make things more impactful, if this all happened very near to the OP's actual renewal date, might that explain the flurry of charges to Public Mobile.

@adamp53 wrote:

I did that!

Aaargh! I understand you’re trying to help and I do appreciate you responding so quickly.

Before porting my number I searched the forums for what to do and read that I could remove my credit card to disable autopay.

As soon as I did that my account became “inactive” and I had to put my credit card back in to have an active account so that I was able to port.

In any event - I’ve messaged the mods and there’s no need to keep replying to me. At this point I’m just venting.

Its just unfortunate that there is this gap in information/processes. I cannot imagine someone less technical than I am navigating this successfully.

@adamp53 , most providers allow a customer to continue to access their account for a short period of time after porting out.  This is usually to allow time to reconcile a final bill.  In the case of Public Mobile, there is no final bill reconciliation.  You should not have to keep any credit card in the account to facilitate a number port.  The account will remain active for the remainder of a 30 day plan cycle.  I have heard customers report errant renewal charges after they have left because they did not remove their credit card from the account prior to porting out.  I have not seen reports of a charge for porting out which is being suggested here.

@adamp53 

From what you just said. Sounds like you did the port out on your renewal day or after renewal. That seems to be the problem here.

Or you removed your card before next payment due date and did NOT port your number out until after payment due date.

Example.

If today Dec 31st was your renewal. the process would have started around 2am eastern this morning to collect payment.

So on the 30th you should have removed credit card info and ported out.

If you removed your card, did not port out and then renewal day hit. The system was not able to collect your money than that account stays in suspended status for non payment. At that point to port out you have to have an active account which is why you had to add your card back to make a payment. Only if you were porting to Koodo or Telus (since Telus owns PM and Koodo) could you have ported the number with a suspended account. 

adamp53

I did that!

Aaargh! I understand you’re trying to help and I do appreciate you responding so quickly.

Before porting my number I searched the forums for what to do and read that I could remove my credit card to disable autopay.

As soon as I did that my account became “inactive” and I had to put my credit card back in to have an active account so that I was able to port.

In any event - I’ve messaged the mods and there’s no need to keep replying to me. At this point I’m just venting.

Its just unfortunate that there is this gap in information/processes. I cannot imagine someone less technical than I am navigating this successfully.

@adamp53  when you port out your account is not only closed but deleted. Your information is gone. Had you ported out from Bell Rogers Fido whoever. Your account would be closed also. 

Normally though when people decide to leave.  Before porting out they log into their account and remove their credit card.

Moderators will get back to you regarding the issue. Have a good day!

adamp53

Thanks, I will message the mods.

I understand that my account is closed. An active account and the ability to login shouldn’t be connected. All of my personal information and credit card info remains in the account as well as my payment history. I should be permitted to access that.

In the very least there should have been a communication from Public Mobile acknowledging that the account was closed and login disabled but I digress.

As for the extra charge - on December 29th I was charged both my usual $48 bill and an additional $50. Again no communication was sent or anything and I have no ability to look into this on my own.

It sucks because I used PM for over 2 years and never had any issues until I cancelled 😞 

Regardless - thanks for the input. I’ll message the mods and try to see what’s up.

Thanks again!

HALIMACS
Mayor / Maire

@adamp53 

The $50 charge you're referring to, is it on your credit card account statement?

Could it have something to do with the charges for Fido?  

What company name is beside the charge as a descriptor?  It would seem odd that it would be Public Mobile as the amount shown on your credit card would be inclusive of taxes and would very unlikely be a round number such as $50.

Jb456
Mayor / Maire

@adamp53  Normal with any company that once your port out to another provider your account is closed.

As for the $50. Where you on the $50 plan? Did you port out on your renewal date?

You'll have to contact moderators about that (if it says Public Mobile on descriptor). Send a private message to them via link below.

https://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/notes/composepage/note-to-user-id/22437

Standard response time is 24/48 hours but usually they'll get back to you quicker. Due note it's holidays so it may however take some time.

Keep an eye out on the envelope at top of these forums. That's your inbox and where they will respond to you.

Have a good day!

Need Help? Let's chat.