cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Plan question

Dhebner
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

My dad would like to activate a cell phone he owns to be used during summer cottage months only May to November.  I think the $15 plan is all he needs     Can he disconnect during winter months etc??

8 REPLIES 8

brettster99
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

@Dhebner 

Like what @will13am  said. Your father might actually be better off with a pay per use plan depending on the situation. Now with that being said and like what everyone else is suggesting is you can let the plan go delinquent for up to 89 days before you permanently lose that phone number and account. 

In my opinion, you should actually search around for pay per use plans and compare that to the $15 plan to see which is actually better for the situation 

kselmak
Mayor / Maire

@Dhebner 

If he didn't care about the number it's cheaper to buy new sim every year, sometimes they are free with in-store activation, sometimes they are$5 so you can have a spare one for the next year.

He could also port his first public mobile number (at the end of the season) to fongo and have it with him forever. Then every year when he gets the new service he can just forward that number for free to the new number. 

hairbag1
Mayor / Maire

@Dhebner wrote:

My dad would like to activate a cell phone he owns to be used during summer cottage months only May to November.  I think the $15 plan is all he needs     Can he disconnect during winter months etc??

Does dad have wifi at cottage ? If so, you could consider free TextNow app. You can call and tetx for free while using his wifi.

will13am
Oracle
Oracle

@Dhebner , this is a prepaid service not to be confused with pay per use service.  Depending on your father's usage, a pay per use service may or may not be the right option.  As already mentioned, this service can be placed in suspension for up to 89 days without impact to the account; it can be restored by simply topping up and restarting the service.  

Naepalm
Mayor / Maire

@Dhebner yeah he can just let it go delinquent. When it gets close to 90 days like 3 days out, renew it for 15.00 again. Assuming that plan will still be available. Then let it go delinquent again, rinse wash repeat. 

hope you have a great day!

Dolphin1
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

If he does join and leaves the plan have him reactivate it after 85 days.  The reason is sometimes there is a glitch and you don't want him to lose his number if he is inactive for 90 days.  He will then have to pay for a month and can deactivate again until he needs the plan.  Make sure he repeats the above process prior to the 90 days or he will lose his account and number.  Hope that makes sense.

@Dhebner another option would be to port and park his number here. Number Barn - park your number. https://www.numberbarn.com/number-parking?gclid=EAIaIQobChMI7oO2gJGY6QIVAz6tBh0GyQNNEAAYASAAEgIIU_D_...

Or on another app such as Fongo. If you plan on taking it over, then use the option given to you by @Staliger . Stay safe. 

Staliger
Mayor / Maire

@Dhebner He can remove Autopay option and leave the account for up to 89 days. After that, the account will be closed, and have to create a new one. Or he can pay every 89 days instead to prevent account from being closed during non-summer time.

Need Help? Let's chat.