cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Plan Change Costs Money?

dna2016
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

So just trying to wrap my head around how this works, because it seems like PM is getting free money if you change your plan prior to the renewal date, which to me does not seem fair.  I know PM is a prepaid company, however they do have a somewhat sophisticated system for a prepaid company, and it's not just a "buy voucher and dial *611 to get minutes" type of system.  So to simplify, hopefully, see my random scenario below.  

1) Current plan -> $75 plan/90 days on auto pay

2) Plan renewed November 1, therefore expiration, or next payment is due let's say Jan 31.  Current date is December 30.

3) Want to change my plan (upgrade) to a $90 plan/90 days on auto pay

4) So technically, based on my November 1 payment, I've paid in advance $75 which covers me up to Jan 30.  Now I'm upgrading to a plan that is $30/30days from a $25/30 days.  

5) My expectation -> by changing my plan on December 30 (mid term) to a $30, I'll have to pay an additional $5/30 days (if the 90 days does not reset itself) to make up the difference since I've already paid $75 in advance which covers me until Jan 30.

6) Actual -> By changing my plan on December 30 to the $30 plan, the system advises I have no money in my account and will need to "Top Up" my account (i.e. pay), $30 to cover the new plan.  

7) Therefore, on December 30 I would be paying $30 to cover my new plan.  So my question is what happened to the remaining $25 from my previous plan which was paid as part of the $75 prepayment in November?  Is PM double dipping each time you change your plan mid term?

Hopefully what I'm saying makes sense, but this is what I'm seeing which doesn't seem fair to me.  Please advise if I'm incorrect.  If I am correct is there a workaround, and if not, shouldn't this be something that should be looked into?

Thanks

9 REPLIES 9

dna2016
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

@ShawnC13, I hear what you're saying, and I know, as @wetcoaster mentioned, that you forfeit what you paid when you change plans with the standard prepaid company.  I just looked at PM as more than those typical prepaid companies.  Considering they offer all these rewards, and seem to try and be customer centric and pride on saving people money, that they would allow users to change their plans freely and not have us incur brand new costs while losing our "balance", and the system would just re-calculate as needed.  But I guess that would mean their current systems would need to be more sophisticated and of course that costs $$$$. 

@Jessica_T the plan/scenario I gave is the $25 unlimited talk and text plan, which is still available ($25 over 90 days is $75).  Looks like PM is looking to get rid of 90 day options, or promote it less.

@RobertQc wrote:

@Jessica_T wrote:

@dna2016 wrote:

@dna2016$75 per 90 days? Is this no longer offered?

@Jessica_TDon't quote me on this. But as per @Anonymous Provincial talk/text plan used to be $27/30 days or $75/90 days when there was a discount for going 90 days.

This plan (unlimited province wide talk and unlimited text for 90days) was $100, became $81 in March 2017 and then $75 in September 2017. I believe the according 30 day plans were $2 or $3 more expensive until spring 2018, but I didn't pay too much attention to the shorter plans until I actually needed data and got a new promo plan (which have all been 30 day plans recently.)

@RobertQc wrote:

It may be best to look into the change at next renewal and take an add-on for to get you by for the rest of your term or see if the moderators will somehow do a special deal for you.

I don't think this is something that the mods should have to look at or do a special deal for anyone.  This is how prepaid works and when there are customers without service that need the mods assistance to take up that time and ask for something that goes against their policy seems like a waste of the limited resources we have here.

I am happy to help, but I am not a Customer Support Agent please do not include any personal info in a message to me. Click HERE to create a trouble ticket through SIMon the Chatbot *

@Jessica_T wrote:

@dna2016 wrote:

It's the unlimited province wide talk and unlimited international texts for 90 days, available in the plan builder.

@Jessica_T wrote:

@dna2016 wrote:

@Jessica_TDon't quote me on this. But as per @Anonymous Provincial talk/text plan used to be $27/30 days or $75/90 days when there was a discount for going 90 days.

Jessica_T
Town Hero / Héro de la Ville

@dna2016 wrote:

ShawnC13
Oracle
Oracle

@dna2016, remember this is a prepaid system.  You paid $75 for a certain plan for 90 days and Public Mobile has agreed to provide that service to you at that price for that length of time.  If during that time you decide to upgrade or downgrade your plan you would be entering a new agreement  with new renewal date with PM and would not be credited for the amount you previously paid.

Another way to look at it is if you were to say lease some building space for 3 months and say 2 months in you decide that you need more square footage than what you currently have the landlord isn't going to credit you the unused portion of the lease and apply it towards a new one.

I am happy to help, but I am not a Customer Support Agent please do not include any personal info in a message to me. Click HERE to create a trouble ticket through SIMon the Chatbot *

wetcoaster
Mayor / Maire

As with any Canadian prepaid provider you forfeit all remaining services for your current plan if you do an immediate plan change.

I'd do a future dated plan change, to be applied automatically by the system on your next renewal.

If you need data (or LD minutes) before then just get one of the add-ons. (Remember that the (Canadian) add-ons will not expire until used up, once you have data in your base plan the plan data will be used first and add-on data will only kick in if there is "month left at the end of your data"...)

RobertQc
Mayor / Maire

@dna2016What you are saying makes sense to me and would be nice, but this place is bare bones (while yes, it does have some cool features) and doesn't have an "upgrade" feature built in. Heck we can't even renew our existing plan without moderator assistance. If you change your plan mid-cycle, you lose everything you paid for. It may be best to look into the change at next renewal and take an add-on for to get you by for the rest of your term or see if the moderators will somehow do a special deal for you.

I would say something significantly more common and that should be dealt with is allowing us to buy another U.S. roaming package within the 10 day period. You buy us roaming data, its all used up but can't buy the same package again. Give us a little button that says "remove addon"

But public IS trying to improve, one of the more recent improvements- being able to change plan WHILE in suspended state.

Need Help? Let's chat.