cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Paying for my plan (Taxation question)

jasoncsb
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

Hello! I recently moved from East coast to West coast where tax is significantly lower here. I have not changed my number yet, but have updated my new address. I recently looked at my bill, and realized that I was taxed 15% as oppose to the expected 5% where I am now. Is that because Public Mobile calculate tax base on area code? Thanks in advance.

9 REPLIES 9

@jasoncsb, if you go to a local retailer, you will only pay 5% for your Ontario phone number when you buy a payment voucher.

The payment voucher will provide a 12-digit PIN, which you then load to your My Account to make payment, or use the IVR on your cell at 611.

Keep autopay on, you will still get your discount.

Online payments are where Public Mobile charges the tax by phone number.  They assume you use an in-province number.

In person vouchers always charge the tax in the location you buy it, no matter what your number is.

@pardnme wrote:

With many plans that include Canada wide calling, most of my friends use an ALBERTA phone number.   This way they have their regular price + GST only (since AB = 5%).

ON = 13%

NB/PEI/NFLD/NS = 15%

Everybody else will have GST =5% + PST

You forgot la belle province!!!!! 15% too for QC.Smiley Wink

srlawren
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

@pardnme wrote:

With many plans that include Canada wide calling, most of my friends use an ALBERTA phone number.   This way they have their regular price + GST only (since AB = 5%).

ON = 13%

NB/PEI/NFLD/NS = 15%

@pardnme yeah this is fine as long as everyone that needs to call you has Canada-wide calling.  It could be a burden to friend, family, or businesses that need to reach you whom do not, mind you.

>>> ALERT: I am not a moderator. For account or activation assistance, please click here.

pardnme
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

ON = 13%

NB/PEI/NFLD/NS = 15%

srlawren

@Anonymous wrote:

@jasoncsb 

And Alberta ain't no west coast...as much as you'd like to have access to it 🙂

@Anonymous:

giphy

>>> ALERT: I am not a moderator. For account or activation assistance, please click here.

Anonymous
Not applicable

@jasoncsb 

And Alberta ain't no west coast...as much as you'd like to have access to it 🙂

@srlawren wrote:

@jasoncsb wrote:

Hello! I recently moved from East coast to West coast where tax is significantly lower here. I have not changed my number yet, but have updated my new address. I recently looked at my bill, and realized that I was taxed 15% as oppose to the expected 5% where I am now. Is that because Public Mobile calculate tax base on area code? Thanks in advance.

@jasoncsb tax rate is charged based on your phone number's area code.  You would need to change your phone number to an AB phone number to get the AB tax rate.

EDIT: @will13am beat me by 1 min.  I typed too slow 🙂

The server must be closer to the GTA.  Your data packet took longer to reach the site. 

srlawren

@jasoncsb wrote:

@jasoncsb tax rate is charged based on your phone number's area code.  You would need to change your phone number to an AB phone number to get the AB tax rate.

EDIT: @will13am beat me by 1 min.  I typed too slow 🙂

will13am
Oracle
Oracle

@jasoncsb, the applicable tax rate is based on the phone number (area code).  It is not based on address.  That is how the tax system is structured for cellular service.  It is a government thing, nothing to do with the carrier.  All carriers operating in Canada follow the same tax law.

Need Help? Let's chat.