cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Paying by credit card when out of the country

Jarqui
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

My friend, a Canadian widow, resides in Barbados. She has a cellphone with Public Mobile for when she visits family in Canada. She has a phone number she likes and wants to keep. To retain the number, she would like to keep paying for the service. She has tried three credit cards on her online account and all have been rejected for no obvious reason. I'm the executor of her husbands estate. Money is not a problem for her and she pays her bills including credit cards regularly online and has done so for the last nearly five years I have been executor.

Trying to help her, today I went to the place downtown in Toronto where she bought Public Mobile to see if I could pay for her at that store. It took three attempts because they were not open until mid afternoon - very late opening. All they could find was a phone number for her that did not match (looked like her old phone#) and they wanted $40/month for that phone - which is way more than the plan she is currently on - she's only in Canada 6 weeks/yr or so. I finally gave up because the people in the store did not seem to have any alternative to resolve this.

My question is apparently too long for SIMon. Does Public Mobile have a phone # and employees to resolve this?

10 REPLIES 10

@Jarqui wrote:

"You can also purchase a voucher from recharge.com And add the voucher via selfserve or by dialing 1-855-4PUBLIC and using the IVR system."

The concern I had with that is she is out of the country.

Her phone cannot claim the voucher quickly

@Jarqui  The voucher gets registered on the account not the phone. The phone is not needed or required.

Jarqui

"You can also purchase a voucher from recharge.com And add the voucher via selfserve or by dialing 1-855-4PUBLIC and using the IVR system."

The concern I had with that is she is out of the country.

Her phone cannot claim the voucher quickly

Jarqui

The message she got is her account must be paid by Jan 24th, 2020

She got the account in late September 2019 - around the 26th.

geopublic
Mayor / Maire

@Jarqui wrote:

My friend, a Canadian widow, resides in Barbados. She has a cellphone with Public Mobile for when she visits family in Canada. She has a phone number she likes and wants to keep. To retain the number, she would like to keep paying for the service. She has tried three credit cards on her online account and all have been rejected for no obvious reason. I'm the executor of her husbands estate. Money is not a problem for her and she pays her bills including credit cards regularly online and has done so for the last nearly five years I have been executor.

@Jarqui 

To set up AutoPay, sign in to your Self-Serve account, select the ‘Payment’ tab, then ‘Register for AutoPay’. From here, you can sign up for AutoPay or remove the feature, if you no longer want payments to automatically occur. If you would like to change the card that is automatically charged, scroll to the bottom of the ‘Payment’ tab, then selectManage my card’. This will allow you to update or remove your credit or Visa Debit card.

Two options are available: "Replace this credit card" and "Remove this credit card"
Use "Replace this credit card" to update the CC info

Note: When entering the postal code do not enter any spaces. Also do not use the unit number field even if you live in an apartment or condo and use a desktop browser if you can.

Trying to help her, today I went to the place downtown in Toronto where she bought Public Mobile to see if I could pay for her at that store. It took three attempts because they were not open until mid afternoon - very late opening. All they could find was a phone number for her that did not match (looked like her old phone#) and they wanted $40/month for that phone - which is way more than the plan she is currently on - she's only in Canada 6 weeks/yr or so. I finally gave up because the people in the store did not seem to have any alternative to resolve this.

You can also purchase a voucher from recharge.com And add the voucher via selfserve or by dialing 1-855-4PUBLIC and using the IVR system.

My question is apparently too long for SIMon. Does Public Mobile have a phone # and employees to resolve this?

The only way to contact PM is by submitting a ticket to PM. To submit a ticket do the following:

PMST.png

popping
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

@Jarqui 

When was your friend left Canada?

If your friend left Canada over 3 - 4 months, your friend's account will be suspended within 30 days without payment. 90 days after suspension, you friend's account will be canceled.  After another 90 days, your firend's number will be reused again.  The current owner of your firend's number is being used by a subscriber with a $40 plan.

Jarqui

I've tried the other suggestions.

This one is underway

Thanks for everyone's help. 

Hopefully, I will not require any more assistance from the Comunity.

sunflowershine
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

@Jarqui You can ask her to get her family member to take care with the account and pay by the credit card with Canadian address if she wants to keep the $2 reward on autopay.

totalUser
Mayor / Maire

You can reach moderators directly here

https://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/notes/composepage/note-to-user-id/22437 

They should be able to advise or add the card

Sometimes  we have to keep trying, website is very frail. She can try In incognito mode, that usually has much better results

It's possible that this is going on because she's accessing the website abroad.

She also has an option to buy vouchers online.

While away she should move to 15 plan and she can upgrade when she gets back

ChuckYeah
Mayor / Maire

No phone number, but just enter rep in Simon's question bar, soon you will be able to send a ticket to a moderator and here you can give your basic issue.

They will clarify through private message.

The main issue I see tho is that you'll have to send a ticket thru her account and verify her identity before any changes can be made on her account.

cellphoneuser1
Mayor / Maire

@Jarqui 

Only Canadian or American credit cards can be used.  There's no phone numbrer. You can buy top up at recharge.com.

Need Help? Let's chat.