cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

“Pausing” an account

sleepingbeauty
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

Hi,

I’m currently on the $15 call + text + data plan (on autopay). Since we’re mostly stuck inside now, I didn’t use my service for the whole of April. I am considering cancelling my service for the next few months and then getting it back when all this ends, because I was really only using the plan when I was out and about and commuting to school (I’m a student lol)... that said are we allowed to cancel our service for a bit and then pick it up again later? Would anything happen to my number or would I need a new sim card or something? Also, if I am able to cancel, does anyone know how I would go about doing that?

Sorry I have so many questions. Any help is appreciated though, thank you in advance 🙂

21 REPLIES 21

sleepingbeauty

@mpcdesign , @Jb456 , @JoyLuck , thank you so much for your help! Much appreciated 🙂 I don't think there is anything else I can do for now so I will just check back tomorrow. 

@sleepingbeauty, I think you should be fine. If in doubt, check again tomorrow morning as well. 

Just remember to reactivate your plan before July 29, 2020. Better yet, circle or put it in the calendar on July 19 that you need to reactivate the plan and let it lapse another 90 days after renewal date!

@sleepingbeauty wrote:

@Jb456 - yes that makes sense. I mean if I do end up being charged it's okay, it just would have helped to save a little bit lol

So I dialed 611 and when I chose the option to add or remove Autopay, it told me that I need to register a credit card on my account in order to use Autopay. I guess that means I have removed Autopay? The thing is I don't know how to double check that it's been removed like @mpcdesign suggested, because when I click on Payment it takes me right to this page, not the one you both have indicated, where it says either "one time payment" or "manage autopay

5B02CE7F-36E8-49AB-B917-09979B028188.png

sleepingbeauty

@Jb456 - yes that makes sense. I mean if I do end up being charged it's okay, it just would have helped to save a little bit lol

So I dialed 611 and when I chose the option to add or remove Autopay, it told me that I need to register a credit card on my account in order to use Autopay. I guess that means I have removed Autopay? The thing is I don't know how to double check that it's been removed like @mpcdesign suggested, because when I click on Payment it takes me right to this page, not the one you both have indicated, where it says either "one time payment" or "manage autopay":

Screen Shot 2020-04-30 at 1.17.38 AM.png

I believe you have done that @sleepingbeauty by removing that photo! Good girl!

With regards to your AutoPay it appears you did indeed removed Autopay. One way I like to make sure AutoPay is removed is going to the payment tab, and if I see Register for AutoPay it means I don't have AutoPay on. Yaaahhhhh!

step 2-register autopay-mc.png

@sleepingbeauty  if you were able to remove your credit card that would have been the same area where it said " manage autopay" like this picture below. Bottom left to manage your credit card to remove it and to the right and up a bit says manage autopay.

Screenshot_20200124_073012.jpg

I'd suggest you dial 611..to double check..you have to listen to all the options...one option is about autopay with the option to remove it. Not sure what it says when there is no credit card ( like you said you removed it)

The only other thing is. You did all this while in process of renewing....(April 30th) and the PM system runs on eastern standard time.

The account goes from active to Expired when it starts the process.

Then expired to Suspended with a note to disregard if you're on auto-pay or have the funds in your account.

Then everything is processed and after awhile ( I don't know how long) then the system updates back to active.

The issue here ( which may not be an issue at all) is that the process for renewal started (expired) then suspended.....during this time you removed your credit card....I do not know if the PM system takes and stored your CC details in advance while it's processing your renewal to charge your credit card for the amount owed ...so maybe system might continue to charge your for next 30 day payment or maybe not ( if that makes sense to you).

sleepingbeauty

@mpcdesign - Oh man thank you for letting me know. Today is not my day!! I think I removed it, please let me know if you still see it. Sorry I don't have enough money for a new MAC anyway lol

Okay, I removed the credit card like @Jb456 suggested, and this is what I see now:

Screen Shot 2020-04-30 at 12.53.12 AM.png

sleepingbeauty

@Jb456 - Thank you. So when I click on Payment I don't see what is in that picture you posted. What I see is in that screengrab I posted a couple posts back, if that makes sense. So since I can't click on Manage Autopay and then remove Autopay, I just went ahead and removed my credit card altogether. I no longer see anything indicating Autopay is active on my account, so does that mean I removed it?

@sleepingbeauty, please remove your photo, I can see the credit card number still. Unless you want to give me the expiry date and the 3 numbers in the back so that I can order a new MAC. @Luddite@ShawnC13 are you guys still online to remove the screenshot of the account. I can see credit card information, to prevent credit card theft! 

Unfortunately, you are still on AutoPay on as it says it's still active. 

Screen Shot 2020-04-29 at 9.43.19 PM.png

Remove it now and do it quickly as @Jb456 mentioned. If you can do this online, you should be able to go in and out within seconds. 

sleepingbeauty

@mpcdesign - oh yeah that makes sense. I honestly just forgot about my account this month lol. I just checked my bank account and it doesn't look like any money has been taken yet.

@sleepingbeauty 

In account.

• Click Payment
  • Click Manage autopay (like picture on my first post)
  • In this section you will see "remove autopay"
  • Or call 611 from your phone and remove it.

If your payment renewal date is the 30th of April and your account is expired it has already started the process to renew your plan. So you might have to be quick on this as it may (not saying for sure) charge you around 2am EST...

So you need to STOP autopay by methods listed above .

What you can do as a quick fix is log into account click payment then bottom left click "manage my card" like picture below and remove credit card all together.

Screenshot_20200124_073012.jpg

At renewal time account goes.. expired.to suspended (with a notification that if you're on auto-pay or have funds in account (like picture below) back to as active once payment is made and system updates.

Screenshot_20200205_002706.jpg

So you still have to either dial 611 from phone and follow the prompts to remove autopay or log into your account and remove autopay or remove credit card all together so you don't get charged in the next few hours. If system has not already been processed to initiate the payment.

sleepingbeauty

@mpcdesign, this is what I see when I click on payment 😕 :

@sleepingbeauty, if by chance you don't have AutoPay on, you may be okay. And you dodge a bullet. And if it's still on, you'll need to take it off now, so it won't renew next month. 

Because the plans are 30 days and not a monthly plan, some months are 31 days like January, February is 28 days, March is 31 days, etc. So, it's every 30 days on the dot.

Unfortunately, I have a feeling you may be too late as the system may have taken your money. You can still try to remove the AutoPay, and hopefully, the system is slow as molasses to get to your account?!

@sleepingbeauty, if you go back to the Self-Serve account, and click on Payment, does it say Manage AutoPay (which means you still have Autopay on)  
step 5-manage autopay-mc.png

or Register for Autopay (which means you don't have Autopay on).

step 2-register autopay-mc.png

@sleepingbeauty wrote:

Thank you so much! So I've logged into my account and apparently my account has already been suspended.. My renewal date was April 30th but in my head it was May 1st, and it just passed midnight. Oops. 

Anyway, I clicked on "Payment" and I can't find the button that says "Remove Autopay" (I already have a credit card set up with the account). It does say that Autopay is still active on my account though. Also under "Amount Due" it says I must make a payment by July 29, 2020 to keep my phone number, so I guess that's the 90th day. 

So right now the balance in my account is $2.00 because of the Autopay reward. But since my account status says "plan expired" does that mean I don't have to remove Autopay anymore? Since my account has already been suspended?

After choosing payment tab, choose Manage Autopay.

8DEDB929-3F3E-460D-A66B-B2D5432E64F6.png

sleepingbeauty

Thank you so much! So I've logged into my account and apparently my account has already been suspended.. My renewal date was April 30th but in my head it was May 1st, and it just passed midnight. Oops. 

Anyway, I clicked on "Payment" and I can't find the button that says "Remove Autopay" (I already have a credit card set up with the account). It does say that Autopay is still active on my account though. Also under "Amount Due" it says I must make a payment by July 29, 2020 to keep my phone number, so I guess that's the 90th day. 

So right now the balance in my account is $2.00 because of the Autopay reward. But since my account status says "plan expired" does that mean I don't have to remove Autopay anymore? Since my account has already been suspended?

sleepingbeauty

Ohh I see. Thank you! 🙂

Staliger
Mayor / Maire

@sleepingbeauty As was mentioned, you can remove your card from Autopay to pause the account for up to 89 days. Or you can use Lost/stolen phone option in your self-service to have the same result.

Jb456
Mayor / Maire

You can decide to suspend your service for 90 days without loosing your number. important. I'd suggest max 85 days. As at 90 your account is deleted and you loose your number.

Simple way to do it....if you're on auto-pay..remove autopay by calling 611 or logging into your account.

Screenshot_20200201_045056.jpg

When you go into manage autopay click "remove autopay".

From there at next renewal date when there are no funds in your account to pay your 30 day bill...your account will be put on suspended..it will remain in suspended till you pay for your next 30 days...at the 90 day mark without a payment your account will be deleted and you will loose your number..So set a notification on the day your renewal is for 85/86/87 days to remind you to log in and purchase your plan again to activate your account.

mpcdesign
Mayor / Maire

@sleepingbeauty, don't cancel your service. After 90 days your account, number and SIM card is deactivated forever!

Instead, take off the Autopay on your account, and on day 80, you can renew it the plan. And repeat the same process. Why day 80? Self-Serve could go down. You may forget your password to Self-Serve? Maybe the AutoPay isn't working? Or maybe the voucher that you scoop up isn't working. Having 10 days to play around with and adding $20 bucks into the account so that it stays active is a lot cheaper than losing your account, number and SIM card is deactivated forever!

Good luck with your studies!

Process:

The best thing to do is go to your self-serve account and register a credit card to our account

In your Overview, click on the third tab, that says Payment.
step 1-mc.png

2. Click on AutoPay to remove Autopay from your account

step 5-manage autopay-mc.png

3. Remove AutoPay

Screen Shot 2020-04-15 at 4.01.13 PM.png

4. As you know, you will get a text message from Public Mobile, stating its time to pay as a reminder. And the day to renew at midnight, it will send another text that it has been received. In this case, you shouldn't be getting that last text.

Your account should look like this after the renewal date:

step 6-account suspended-mc.png

JoyLuck
Mayor / Maire

@sleepingbeauty wrote:

Hi,

I’m currently on the $15 call + text + data plan (on autopay). Since we’re mostly stuck inside now, I didn’t use my service for the whole of April. I am considering cancelling my service for the next few months and then getting it back when all this ends, because I was really only using the plan when I was out and about and commuting to school (I’m a student lol)... that said are we allowed to cancel our service for a bit and then pick it up again later? Would anything happen to my number or would I need a new sim card or something? Also, if I am able to cancel, does anyone know how I would go about doing that?

Sorry I have so many questions. Any help is appreciated though, thank you in advance 🙂

You can remove your autopay and you will have 90 days from your renewal date to make a payment to keep your account. If you do not make a payment within 90 days your account will be closed.

By removing autopay  your account will be closed after 90 days from the renewal date.

Need Help? Let's chat.