cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

One-Time Payment - How to disable the system saving my credit card?

Indeed
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

Is there a way NOT to save/register my credit card?

I did a one-time payment last time, and it saved my credit card, which I do not wish to do that.

30 REPLIES 30

@LurganIeUk 

Really? Time for a new bank!

BMO took my LOC away too...probably from no use. But with no warning. Such jerks. 

@LurganIeUk 

That's only good if you have a high interest credit card balance you can't pay off or a line of credit with a not so great rate. I paid off a lot of credit card debt and gained a great credit rating by transferring balances at 0% and 1% to my RBC gold card now an avion card. Its the credit rating that got me the avion card offer.....because I don't have a $100,000+ income every year!

So far has been good. BMO MasterCard changed their AirMiles and reduced cash back. I basically quit using the card. I just got an interest free offer to bring my debts to BMO M/C but they want 2% upfront. Oh what a deal!!! Such jerks. 

@LurganIeUk 

LOL!!! A Robbers mastercard?!! No thanks....I'm sure somewhere in the small print they can instantly clawback anything they rebate you and then some....😂

You can also apply for a Rogers MasterCard and get 2 or 3% cashback too. 

@Indeed 

I think the community has presented you with so many choices because we all want to see you recieve the the $2 autopay reward. If you are happy enough to pay manually and with a vouchers then I can go one better and supply you with an empty vanilla m/c gift card # to register for autopay to recieve the reward and you can purchase vouchers and your card never has to go anywhere near your pm account! Private message me if you are interested.

If you are in the west join the LD extras program to earn a "visit" every time you purchase a $10 pm voucher ( immediately valid too!). Every 10 "visits" earn you a $5 "coupon" that can be redeemed for another $10 "visit". This is the only loyalty program that allows you to earn and redeem on phone vouchers/cards/minutes and can be paired with a credit card that has up to a 4% cashback rebate at drugstores/pharmacies. You also get a $5 coupon on your birthday!

BlueB
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

@Indeed - Your concerns are valid, and there have been many suggestions and options presented here, including using a off-the-shelf reloadable/unrelated card, deleting it after purchase, 3rd party payments, etc.  Being PCI compliant doesn't mean that the organization can't store your credit card information, but provides guidance on what, how, and protection of this information.

The simplest suggestion to address your concerns + avoid your credit card stored with Public Mobile altogether is to use a voucher that can be purchased outside of Public Mobile with cash, one-time credit card payment, or however else you prefer at your local convenient store, grocery store, mall kiosk, or even online.

@Anonymous wrote:

@Luddite : Koho can receive e-transfer AND pay the fee.

@Indeed 

You can keep a small balance or e-transfer your payment amount onto your koho card on the day you intend to make a manual payment or on the night of renewal to cover your autopay and still earn the $2 reward. For further security you could keep the hold on your koho card until you make a payment or take it off between 1:59 am and 6am eastern when the autopay system charges your card.

@Indeed 

As mentioned by @softech since pm is prepaid service your "bill" is your plan amount minus any rewards and/or account balances. You can review your estimated payment by going to your rewards page. I like to take a screenshot of my overview page before and after renewal in case there are any glitches of the resetting of the minute and/or data counter and after renewal a screenshot of my payment history.

Here is a screenshot of one of my accounts estimated payment. My other account.....tee hee....pm actually "pays" me!😁

The account balance is from earned credits or rewards.The account balance is from earned credits or rewards.

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Luddite : Koho can receive e-transfer AND pay the fee.

Luddite
Oracle
Oracle

@Indeed  Agree with the sentiment but I gave up refusing to register a credit card; especially for products/services we regularly use.

Our solution was a very low limit credit card ($600). Not perfect, but balances our aggravation-risk sensitivity. It was difficult to convince our bank to issue it with such a low balance, and we do need to monitor the outstanding balance to ensure it doesn't top out.

Koho might work for you but I didn't want to link a bank account to it.

BTW: if you elect to go with vouchers be aware that some do not go "live" until 24 hours after purchase.

>>> ALERT: I am not a CSA. Je ne suis pas un Agent du soutien à la clientèle.

@Indeed wrote:

1. I go over the bill before I pay them, so I never use auto pay, and never prefer to

2. Legal perspective, there is a difference. If there database has been hacked, they have to take the full responsibility, as I asked not to keep my record there.

@Indeed  PM in fact is a pre-paid service.  you have to pay before getting the service.  There is no surprise bill in this sense  (there won't be any extra item) as it's not post-paid.  

I understand you worry about your info.  I suggest you to use the voucher or pay in store option.   

Indeed

1. I go over the bill before I pay them, so I never use auto pay, and never prefer to

2. Legal perspective, there is a difference. If there database has been hacked, they have to take the full responsibility, as I asked not to keep my record there.

You gave them your credit card number. 

1. Why not leave it there as auto pay and receive $2 a month off?

2. If you do remove it as per what others have shown you, is it really erased from the PM/Telus data base or just deactivated?

You trusted them once, why not continue your trust?

@Indeed 

I for one am especially paranoid about leaving a card registered online however I've had no qualms with doing this with pm when I did have to pay for service. Once the credit card info is saved the only info anyone ( including the moderators) can see are the last 4 digits of your card. However if you do not want the card information saved you only have the option of removing it everytime you make a payment.

As mentioned there are many ways to have an alternative card ( like the expired kelloggs visa gift card registered for autopay on my accounts) that will allow for the earning of the autopay reward. Here is more info on the koho card......

https://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/Paying-for-your-service/Alternative-autopay-payment-o...

Community member contributed info on vouchers....

.https://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/Paying-for-your-service/Voucher-Catalogue/m-p/479165#...

I highly doubt pm will change the way it automatically saved credit card info as there are hundreds if not more complaints about trying to successfully add a card to accounts but yours is the first complaint I have ever heard about it being saved but add it to the wishlist as you never know it just might come true.....

https://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/Community/The-Community-s-Public-Mobile-Wishlist/m-p/...

@Indeed  yes, it's the design  😞  i guess you can open a ticket with the MOD and voice your concern but don't expect any changes quick.  

Voucher is certainly a way for you to consider.  Another way is Instant Top-Up, but you have to do go in person:

Pay for your services in retail (publicmobile.ca)

Indeed

I never add any credit card on the Self-Serve. I only put the credit card information when making the payment (it asks me for the credit card along with the amount). I was only at the payment page, where it provided me everything I need to fill out.

The next time I want to make it payment, it has my record, which I do not wish that happen, and I do not want to remove it everytime, nor have a record in the database (regardless of the actual credit card or the tokenization, I do not wish to have them saved).

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Indeed : And I think it would be nice if we could edit our cards for expiry and address changes and such. But the system is what it is. And changes happen at a snails pace around here.

So we work around what we don't like. I otherwise have a balance on my account so I use a spent-out gift card for the autopay reward.

@Indeed , so you have been adding credit card Self-Serve, then pay the account and then removing it form the Self-Serve every month?

Indeed

I mean Voucher is a suggestion, but is there a reason to prevent the system from NOT saving my credit card? Is it that hard to do?

As a full stack developer with some understanding to security and PCI, I do not want to store my credit card, and I do not think this is a rocket science to disable the saving. In fact, the implementation should even be easier to save the encrypted credit card information. Is there a reason why I must save my credit card and require to remove it everytime by myself?

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Indeed : Buying vouchers from stores generally don't cost more than the face value (other than tax of course). The online ones do charge a little more. The instant top-up method charges a little fee as well. The prepaid "credit" card gift cards charge a fee up front. So I again suggest the Koho prepaid card that you can refill as needed. They have a promotional connection with this place too.

Indeed

Because I do not want the system to save my credit card information, so I have to use Voucher and pay a fee? Does not seem to make sense to me, as it is not suppose to save my credit card information to begin with.

BlueB
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

Buying vouchers may be your best option.  There are reputable online retailers who would be able to sell you this, usually in $10-increments.

I can't speak for exactly how Public Mobile stores and processes your information but they're likely to be PCI compliant.  They're part of the Telus family, and I know that Telus takes cybersecurity seriously but will leave the risk to you.

Another option is to get a reloadable debit-Visa/Mastercard so it's separate than your usual credit card.  There's a post here about a cereal promotion to get a free one.  🙂

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Indeed : It is interesting that putting in a card automatically registers it to your account. But once there, it's not very visible.

But the 2 bucks is nice. Get a prepaid card like Koho and keep a low balance on it and register it and toggle autopay on and then keep paying manually just before your renewal and you reduce your plan cost by 2 bucks. Or even a prepaid "credit" card gift card with zero balance. Just use vouchers or instant top-up instead. Still get the 2 bucks.

@Indeed 

you actually don't need to remove credit card .. as long as it's not setup as Autopay

On the same page where I asked you to "Manage my Card", there is "Manage AutoPay", click on that.. on the next page, just click remove AutoPay

You pay with a voucher and call 611 or use recharge.com or ding.com but there is a service fee.

How To Pay With Digital Vouchers

If you do not have access to, or prefer not to register a credit card or Visa Debit card to your account, you may also top-up your account using a digital payment voucher. However, please be aware that this would be done through a third-party, like Recharge.com, which would charge fees for their service.You can purchase a digital payment voucher (in the form of a code) through Recharge by following these steps:

1. Access the Recharge.com website
  2. Select the desired top-up amount. Once you have selected the desired top-up amount, you will be shown a breakdown of the total, including the applicable fees that Recharge will charge you
  3. Fill in your email address where you would like your code to be sent
  4. Submit a payment; through Recharge, you can pay with a Visa or Mastercard credit card, Mastercard debit or PayPal account.
  5. After your payment, the code will be sent immediately to your email address. Please check your spam folder if you do not receive your code immediately.
  6. Once you have received your code from Recharge, you can then top-up your Public Mobile account by calling * 611 and following the prompts. Or you may also top-up by signing in to your Self-Serve account, select the ‘Payment’ tab, then ‘One Time Payment’. In the form on the next page, select ‘Payment Voucher’ as your payment method and enter your voucher code below, then click ‘Submit’.

How To Pay With Payment Vouchers Or Prepaid Credit Cards

If you prefer to pay using physical payment vouchers or a prepaid credit card that can be purchased in person, they can be found at most “essential service stores” and grocers. For a full list of stores that carry payment vouchers, please click here. It is recommended that you call ahead to your local store to confirm opening hours before heading out to make a purchase. If you are uncomfortable going in person, we recommend asking a friend, family member or neighbour for help!

Indeed

So I have to remove the card everytime I make a payment?

Is there a simple way simply the system does not save my credit card at all? For PCI compliance?

Triguy
Mayor / Maire

To update or remove your credit or Visa debit card details, sign in to Self-Serve. Once signed in, click on the ‘Payment’ tab, then scroll to the bottom of the page and select ‘Manage my card’. Here, you will have the option to either select ‘Replace this card’, where you can enter the details for your new card, or ‘Remove this card’. You will need to review and confirm this change to your account and then you’re all set..

softech
Oracle
Oracle

You can logon to self-Serve and remove the card

Payment Tab , then click "Mange My Card"  (that link is closer to the bottom of my screenshot below)

softech_0-1617484703411.png

then click "Remove this Credit card"

softech_0-1620045935215.png

Need Help? Let's chat.