cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Moving out from Ontario

selva1
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

I am planning to move out from Ontario to Alberta but would like to have the same phone number. Currently, Ontario’s sales tax is at 13% but I know Alberta’s sales tax is less than Ontario’s 13% and what evidence should I provided to PM to change my sales tax rate?

9 REPLIES 9

bridonca

As a legal tax avoidance strategy, I buy gift cards as a means to save money.  When Canadian Tire cards were on sale at shoppers, one got 8% off.   There is $50 Irving gift card selling for $40 on ebay currently.  You can use these gift cards to buy Public Mobile vouchers, usually at a better price than the Alberta tax discount.  If you are in Alberta, just buy vouchers, and never use your credit card to buy airtime.   

As for the 2 cities issue,  get a Fongo account, download the app, and get a free Alberta number.  You can forward your fongo number to your current number.  That way, your contacts in Alberta and Ontario can reach you.

selva1

Thanks and this is helpful.

Bell3
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

Generally sales taxes are administrated by the PTs and Federal Government depending on the PTs we live. For example Ontario has HST and Alberta has only GST for cell phone services.   

Based on the tax laws, PM to charge the taxes of the province in which each device is ordinarily situated not based on current residency of the person.

I do not understand why people insist on doing this.  Until everyone has free calling nationwide, or even worldwide (cough cough hangouts, fongo, VoIP, etc.. cough cough), keeping a long distance phone number for where you live is insane.

Move to AB, live in an apartment with a call box or live in a gated community with a call box, that will need a local number to let people in.  Local services will refuse to call you as your number is a chargeable call for most offices, restaurants, and other things you may wish to return your call.

If keeping your old number is strictly for the convenience of your friends and family in Ontario, tell them to update their direct-dial number to you to your AB number, or have everyone text you, and you call them back.

It is unacceptable to expect others to call you at a potential call when you move.

surreyboz

@selva1 wrote:

I am planning to move out from Ontario to Alberta but would like to have the same phone number. Currently, Ontario’s sales tax is at 13% but I know Alberta’s sales tax is less than Ontario’s 13% and what evidence should I provided to PM to change my sales tax rate?

Taxes are based on the Telephone Number, since you want to keep your Ontario Number, just make sure you are on a Nation Wide Plan and lucky for you since you will be in Alberta you can Top up your Account with Top up Vouchers purchased in Alberta and pay 5% Tax. 

FYI. Do not use your credit or debit card to top up via public Mobile's online portal or *611 option. If you do that say Hi to 13% HST.

@Anonymous wrote:

@selva1 wrote:

You could buy vouchers locally at 5% and top up that way.

Keep in mind that people in AB will be calling you long distance for them.

And those people who have expensive long distance plans should consider switching to more current plans.  

Anonymous
Not applicable

@selva1 wrote:

You could buy vouchers locally at 5% and top up that way.

Keep in mind that people in AB will be calling you long distance for them.

geopublic
Mayor / Maire

@selva1 wrote:

@selva1  My understanding is that the tax charged depends on your phone number you have selected. So if you keep your Ontario number you will get charged 13%

will13am
Oracle
Oracle

@selva1 , sales tax is not determined by Public Mobile.  It is based on government rules which requires the carrier to charge tax based on the phone number.  So long as you keep an Ontario area code number, you pay Ontario tax.  

Need Help? Let's chat.