cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Moving abroad for 3 months - can I just disable autopay, and re enable it once I get back to Canada?

mabmarkus
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

Hey Guys 😎

I'm travelling abroad for 3 months commencing mid-august and my 3 month cycle for my plan is august 2nd. Can I just disable autopay and not  pay for service for those 3 months? Is there a limit to how long my phone number will stay with public mobile due to not topping up my account?

If you have any tips or guidance I would appreciate it. I do intend to pick up a sim card in my travel destination when I get there (japan) and use that for data service etc.

thanks!

13 REPLIES 13

@mabmarkus wrote:

Basically what you're saying is after I've done this so when my current autopay triggers on august 2nd it does so for the 'new' 1 month 30-day plan, and then cancel the autopay after right?

Yes, if you future date a plan change it will take rewards (at least $2 autopay, loyalty / referral / community as applicable) off the new plan amount owed, then add taxes and charges that new amount to your credit card.

After your new plan is in effect, remove auto payment authorisation and you are letting your account going into suspension due to non-payment at your September renewal date.

mabmarkus

@pm-smayer97I think this response best fits what I attempted to convey in my reply to someone else. thanks for finding this faq.

Q: What if I want/need to suspend or place my account on hold longer than the 90 days suspend time?

A: One strategy is to select the cheapest available plan and add enough funds to cover that plan. This will give you the time for that plan period + 90 more days after that plan expires (and you no longer have funds to cover the cost). The down side is that you would give up your existing plan to do this (and you risk not being able to get it back if it is no longer offerred).

mabmarkus

@wetcoaster@ShawnC13I do like this idea quite a lot - for the month before I leave (between august 2nd and the 24th) I could probbaly do with a few gb's of data, probably 2 maybe 3 depending on the cost for a month. So it does seem to be a better idea to change to a 30-day plan and pre-pay for a month, and then turning off autopay to allow my plan to expire after one more full month of service rouchly until I'm headed abroad.

Basically what you're saying is after I've done this so when my current autopay triggers on august 2nd it does so for the 'new' 1 month 30-day plan, and then cancel the autopay after right?

pm-smayer97
Mayor / Maire

@mabmarkus

You can find complete details here:

When and How to Suspend or Place an account on Hold

HTH

bridonca
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

Just being curious, but why is that plan even on the books then?

@ShawnC13 wrote:

@mabmarkus, you can change anytime you like but you will not get any credit for any unused portion so that is 7 days of use. 

Sorry I see what you are trying to do here as well.  If you change now you can then remove autopay and not have one more thing to worry about before you go.  If you want a full month you can also add funds to your account and renew your current plan early then you keep everything the same, remove autopay after it expires you have your 90 days.  You come back and you will need to re-activate your plan.

If you renew early you need to message the moderators to do this.  If you change plans you can do it on your own.

@mabmarkus

Another option would be to future date changing to one of the current 30 day promo plans (if it meets your needs?) for the next renewal in early August, available until you leave. If you remove autopay, the account will go into suspension end of  August / early September and can stay that way until your return in the third or fourth week of November (if my math is right?). Upon return - but before the 90 days of suspension is up - top up the amount needed and it should reset on the same plan you were on before you left Canada.

Does that make sense?

@bridonca wrote:

In the build your own plan menu, there is an option to set up 90 days with no voice, text or data for $25.  The reason why it would be preferable to letting it lapse 90 days, is that if you plan to be with public Mobile for a while, you will lose your $1 a month discount after a year with Public Mobile.

EDIT:  When I think of it, with autopay, that $25 would be $19 for 3 months.

You need at least one of the three options (talk, text or data) to have a valid plan - the base amount of $25 by itself is not a valid plan.

bridonca
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

In the build your own plan menu, there is an option to set up 90 days with no voice, text or data for $25.  The reason why it would be preferable to letting it lapse 90 days, is that if you plan to be with public Mobile for a while, you will lose your $1 a month discount after a year with Public Mobile.

EDIT:  When I think of it, with autopay, that $25 would be $19 for 3 months.

@mabmarkus, you can change anytime you like but you will not get any credit for any unused portion so that is 7 days of use. 

Sorry I see what you are trying to do here as well.  If you change now you can then remove autopay and not have one more thing to worry about before you go.  If you want a full month you can also add funds to your account and renew your current plan early then you keep everything the same, remove autopay after it expires you have your 90 days.  You come back and you will need to re-activate your plan.

If you renew early you need to message the moderators to do this.  If you change plans you can do it on your own.

I am happy to help, but I am not a Customer Support Agent please do not include any personal info in a message to me. Click HERE to create a trouble ticket through SIMon the Chatbot *

mabmarkus

Yea, definitely not ideal as I do plan to return to Canada after the 3 months and pretty much need to keep my number when I return home!

Do you if it's possible to choose a new plan and have it go into affect straightaway which would reset my renewal date on my account?

mabmarkus

Thanks for the reply, very helpful.

in response to this: "If you are on a plan that is currently available to get my suggestion is to change your plan on your next renewal to the $10 call and text (limited number) plan then after the renewal remove your credit card from autopay as that would get you to September and 90 days form there and you should be back."

Do you think it's possible to change my plan today for example, and choose for the new plan to take into effect today thereby resetting my monthly renewal date? I'm leaving on August 24th so it would work out very well to do this. I would most likely choose a 30 day plan with some data for my time still in Canada before I go. I'm assuming that even with a 30 day plan instead of a 90, my number and account will still be kept active through the full 90 days?

Sorry if I'm confusing you, I've confused my self a little bit now too heh.

shartomjam
Town Hero / Héro de la Ville

You can just disable Auto Pay but note that your account can only be inactive for 90 days.  After 90 days, your account will be permanently disabled and you will lose your number.  

ShawnC13
Oracle
Oracle

@mabmarkus wrote:

Hey Guys 😎

I'm travelling abroad for 3 months commencing mid-august and my 3 month cycle for my plan is august 2nd. Can I just disable autopay and not  pay for service for those 3 months? Is there a limit to how long my phone number will stay with public mobile due to not topping up my account?

If you have any tips or guidance I would appreciate it. I do intend to pick up a sim card in my travel destination when I get there (japan) and use that for data service etc.

thanks!

You can only have your account sit in a suspended state for 90 days after that you lose your plan and phone number.  Now depending on your plan that you have there are a couple of options.

If you are on a plan that is currently available to get my suggestion is to change your plan on your next renewal to the $10 call and text (limited number) plan then after the renewal remove your credit card from autopay as that would get you to September and 90 days form there and you should be back.

Now if you have  a promo plan that you want to keep and is no longer offered you will need to renew that plan for one more cycle and then allow it to go into a suspended state. 

So just depends on what you have for your plan.

I am happy to help, but I am not a Customer Support Agent please do not include any personal info in a message to me. Click HERE to create a trouble ticket through SIMon the Chatbot *

Need Help? Let's chat.