cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Manual payment "Other amount" vs "Amount due"

RobertQc
Mayor / Maire

Using the existing autopay credit card that is already on file and working, we tried to do manual top up. No info was changed, updated, replaced or manually entered in besides $ value to top up.

Account balance $31, amount due $59. Renewal date Feb 16th. ($90/90 day plan for one of my referrals) This was not my account, but I was with the owner, at their home, trying to top up.

1st attempt- Credit card on file. Select "Other amount" $300- declined

tried different browser, cache, computer etc. so actually a couple more attempts here

2nd attempt-Credit card on file. Select "Other amount" $200- declined

3rd attempt- Credit card on file. Select "Other amount" $100- declined

4th attempt- Credit card on file. Select "Other amount" $59 -  declined

5th attempt- Credit card on file. Select "Other amount" $10  - declined

6th attempt- Credit card on file. Select "Amount due"   $59 -  completed

7th attempt- Credit card on file. Select "Other amount" $10  - declined

8th attempt- Credit card on file. Select "Other amount" $100- declined

I know, we can buy a voucher, I know the service is running so its not an issue at the moment, but any ideas why this would happen? If it was an issue with the card / address it should not have worked on "amount due, so what the heck is different about selecting "Amount due" vs "Other amount"? Why would one decline but the other work?

18 REPLIES 18

CellGirl
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

@RobertQc wrote:

@CellGirl wrote:

@RobertQc wrote:

This month, can't make any payment. Not $1, not amount due. 

o joy---looking forward to my first billing cycle! Smiley Frustrated

@CellGirl  Which is why you're going to try to pay a week in advance, and give yourself enough time to figure it out / use a voucher 🙂

@RobertQc

Ya, I'll try a manual credit card 'amount due' payment, and hopefully I won't need to buy a voucher Robot Happy

@CellGirl wrote:

@RobertQc wrote:

@CellGirl  Which is why you're going to try to pay a week in advance, and give yourself enough time to figure it out / use a voucher 🙂

CellGirl

@RobertQc wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

But don't we all find it curious that some people report seeing some mention of a parking garage or something after using their cc?

Some other data is being transmitted/interpreted. Some credit cards break down on the bill what kind of purchase was made. I find that kind of freaky too. So maybe this particular cc has some built-in restrictions on what is being charged where. I dunno.

True, maybe. Seems like a very odd restriction though.

EDIT" but with that being said what they experienced was very odd too!

Anonymous
Not applicable

But don't we all find it curious that some people report seeing some mention of a parking garage or something after using their cc?

Some other data is being transmitted/interpreted. Some credit cards break down on the bill what kind of purchase was made. I find that kind of freaky too. So maybe this particular cc has some built-in restrictions on what is being charged where. I dunno.

krazykiwi
Mayor / Maire

@RobertQc wrote:

Using the existing autopay credit card that is already on file and working, we tried to do manual top up. No info was changed, updated, replaced or manually entered in besides $ value to top up.

Account balance $31, amount due $59. Renewal date Feb 16th. ($90/90 day plan for one of my referrals) This was not my account, but I was with the owner, at their home, trying to top up.

tried different browser, cache, computer etc. so actually a couple more attempts here

I know, we can buy a voucher, I know the service is running so its not an issue at the moment, but any ideas why this would happen? If it was an issue with the card / address it should not have worked on "amount due, so what the heck is different about selecting "Amount due" vs "Other amount"? Why would one decline but the other work?

I have done manual top ups with my CC on autopay file for $10, $5, and $1 for my account, my brothers account and my wifes without issue. There is, in my opinion, an issue there and like @computergeek541 mentioned it is probably with PM. I say that because there shouldn't be any way for the CC company to know what is actually due on the account to restrict debit to that exact amount.

Tav

I do other amount all the time and it works fine. The amount due seems to not include any reward credits so I just manually top up what is actually due and that seems to have worked a few times for me with the most recent being yesterday.

@computergeek541Good point, its not even me that would have to call. He hates doing things so him having to call the bank would probably spoil his milk and leave the void in my stomach empty and craving mcdonalds. Will definitely do few tries next time.

@Anonymous wrote:

My RBC card gave me 4 tries of fiddling with address ideas. I call them. They reset it. I got another 4 tries. I call them. They reset it. I gave up.

The next day...

That seems a little strict to me.  They probably thought someone was trying to guess your information, or maybe took a statement out of the trash that was barely readable.

@RobertQc wrote:

It's not usually a big deal in the sense that if you call your bank and tell them it was really you trying to do the transactions, but if the flag your account like this, your credit card will stop working until you speak to them.

@computergeek541 Good call, Good thing it was not flagged as his card was working about 2 hours later, when he bought us mcdonalds... ugh the ITIS. So much mcdonalds lol ..otherwise I would be a little worried after reading this, wondering if next time he went to use the card it didn't work. Something I should have thought of. Thanks for the reminder. I will be careful with my next test on his credit card.

I might not be a problem because I have my doubts if Public Mobile is actually submitting these transactions for authorization, but it's not a chance you want to take.  The banks do release the card immedaitely if you phone them when it happens, but you do you really want to waste time doing it, or needing to spend 15 minutes on the phone when all you want to do is have dinner?  I've had my card stop working one time just because I made 2 separate purchases of a few hundred dollars and went back the same day to do another transaction for about $1000  later that same day.  Going back multiple times to the same place seemed suspicous to my bank, but really it was just me later deciding to go back to buy more.  The bank fixed it on the spot and another try went through a few minutes later, but it doesn't feel good when the card reader screen reports "declined. contact card issuer".

Anonymous
Not applicable

My RBC card gave me 4 tries of fiddling with address ideas. I call them. They reset it. I got another 4 tries. I call them. They reset it. I gave up.

The next day...

@Anonymous wrote:

@RobertQc

Dang! If a customer like you can have all that trouble...imagine the unknowing person trying to do the same thing. Oh wait...:)

If you have such an opportunity again to go to that extent it would be interesting to hear your experiences using 611.

It has amount due and a selection of set "other amounts".

@AnonymousYea I didn't expect it at all. 611 is a good idea, I will absolutely try this the next time go there, after the renewal. I always try to get him to do it first but he couldn't understand where to go to make the payment.

@computergeek541 wrote:

Robert, I know you're just trying to figure out if topping up an exact specificed amount is required (other than vouchers), but I wouldn't be doing any more credit card transaction attempts.  Eventually, your card will get flagged for suspected fraudulent activity by the card issuer. Each card issuer has different threshholds but repeated multiple attempts like this by the same vendor are often see by the bank as someone trying to see what they can get away with.  It's not usually a big deal in the sense that if you call your bank and tell them it was really you trying to do the transactions, but if the flag your account like this, your credit card will stop working until you speak to them.

@computergeek541 Good call, Good thing it was not flagged as his card was working about 2 hours later, when he bought us mcdonalds... ugh the ITIS. So much mcdonalds lol ..otherwise I would be a little worried after reading this, wondering if next time he went to use the card it didn't work. Something I should have thought of. Thanks for the reminder. I will be careful with my next test on his credit card.

Anonymous
Not applicable

I concur with @computergeek541.

I had a bear of a time with recharge.com. As I wrote at the time, it all sounded so similar to what people experience here.

I also wonder about the different prepaid/gift type cards. Some say that it can't be used for recurring payments. So maybe in the data flow from the vendor charging system to the credit card paying system there are different little flags being sent to indicate what this payment is about. I suppose all of that could also just as well be for regular credit cards as well.

Robert, I know you're just trying to figure out if topping up an exact specificed amount is possible (other than vouchers), but I wouldn't have your friend be doing any more credit card transaction attempts.  Eventually, the card will get flagged for suspected fraudulent activity by the card issuer. Each card issuer has different threshholds but repeated multiple attempts like this by the same vendor are often see by the bank as someone trying to see what they can get away with.  It's not usually a big deal if the customer calls the bank and tells them that they were legitimate transaction attempts, but if they flag an account like this, the credit card will stop working until the customer calls to clear it up.

@ShawnC13 wrote:

My only thought is that with the credit card on file it only allows amount due payments.  I was going to say because it doesn't want the customer to put a large ballance balance in available funds but it didn't even accept the $10, yet it has allowed people to add $1 as an attempted work around in the past.  Yet you can load extra value in vouchers,just another weird thing about PM

@ShawnC13That's an interesting idea. Silly of me not to not have tried $1. I will try this again after their renewal next week and see if the $1 method is allowed, and if so, try to figure out the exact amount it does allow. Looking back I wish I tried to use 611 to make top up as well.

Anonymous
Not applicable

@RobertQc

Dang! If a customer like you can have all that trouble...imagine the unknowing person trying to do the same thing. Oh wait...:)

If you have such an opportunity again to go to that extent it would be interesting to hear your experiences using 611.

It has amount due and a selection of set "other amounts".

ShawnC13
Oracle
Oracle

@RobertQc wrote:

My only thought is that with the credit card on file it only allows amount due payments.  I was going to say because it doesn't want the customer to put a large ballance balance in available funds but it didn't even accept the $10, yet it has allowed people to add $1 as an attempted work around in the past.  Yet you can load extra value in vouchers,just another weird thing about PM

I am happy to help, but I am not a Customer Support Agent please do not include any personal info in a message to me. Click HERE to create a trouble ticket through SIMon the Chatbot *

Need Help? Let's chat.