cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Locking in New Plan Offer but on Next Renewal Date

mikerz
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

Hello PM Community!

I have a question regarding the new Black Friday Deals. I am currently on the $120/90days 12GB plan from many years ago, but I would like to switch over to the $45/mo 6.5GB plan that is currently being offered for Black Friday.

As you can see it is a much better plan offer than what I currently have, but I had already renewed my existing plan at the beginning of the month, and do not wish to lose the money I had already paid for it.

I have initiated the plan change to come into effect in January 2021 at my Plan Renewal Date, and I was wondering if by doing so I would lock in the new plan offer when I renew.

Is this the case? Or is my option just to simply bite the bullet and immediately change my plan and forfeit the money I had already paid for my existing plan?

Thank you in advance for your insight!

8 REPLIES 8

mikerz

I suppose you’re right. I was tempted with the offer for more data for only $5/mo more than I was currently paying, but did not take into account that I will be downgrading to 3G speeds.

Thank you for enlightening me and looking out for another stranger! 

Cheers!

@mikerz wrote:

I have a question regarding the new Black Friday Deals. I am currently on the $120/90days 12GB plan from many years ago, but I would like to switch over to the $45/mo 6.5GB plan that is currently being offered for Black Friday.

The currently is no special offer available to existing relating to Black Friday for the $45 plan.  If your 90 day plan is the Fall Promo, I would seriously reconsider this. I would consider the the Fall Promo plan to be superior, unless of course, you need more data.

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Jb456 : oh right...BASE plan data items. Not being able to tell with add-ons or gifts or promos.

@mikerz 

How data displays if you're on 3g.

Screenshot_20201102_200309.jpg

Anonymous
Not applicable

@mikerz wrote:

I appreciate your quick response! This is exactly what I was looking for.

Is there a way to verify my current cellphone speeds? My impression was that they automatically throttled my plan to 3G. 

When you look at your Plan Details or I suppose data & add-ons...if you do NOT see mention of 3G then you're on full LTE.

Many people don't really notice the speed difference. It's only really noticeable if you watch hi-res videos through that connection (device or hotspot). Or downloading large files.

mikerz

I appreciate your quick response! This is exactly what I was looking for.

Is there a way to verify my current cellphone speeds? My impression was that they automatically throttled my plan to 3G. 

Anonymous
Not applicable

@mikerz 

Yes. You've reserved it as a placeholder.

Be aware that you would likely have had full 4G LTE and that the new plans are all throttled to 3Mbps speed. That plan is still being held by some regulars here.

Triguy
Mayor / Maire

It is recommended to change on your next renewal date so you don't lose any unused

Minutes/texts or data.

Need Help? Let's chat.