cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ive heard a few people ask & mention about whether crypto could be a good way to have people pay ?

PublicService97
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

Alot of people have crypto but dont have a way to directly pay for something like this and far as auto pay goes they can lose the crypto account while it still pays out until the agreement expires

5 REPLIES 5

HALIMACS
Mayor / Maire

@PublicService97 

This question has been asked for more than 3 years, and it seems there has been little to no uptake within the TELUS group of providers.

I guess just keep talking about it, keep using it, the more mainstream it becomes, the more likely companies may bring it up in their boardrooms.   Given the competitive nature of wireless mobile providers, once one considers or implements it, it won't be long before they all do.

NDesai
Oracle
Oracle

I don't think companies would want to accept crypto as it could lose value in dollar the next day. On top of that, there are exchange fees and complications to implement. If PayPal is too complicated for them, there is no chance for crypto. They would rather make us exchange from crypto to dollar and then pay in $. Technically, you are paying with crypto, but covering the exchange fees yourself. 

@PublicService97 

Public mobile is a low cost, no frills type of mobile company.  It does not even use online payments services like PayPal.  

I don't see PM using crypto in the near future.  PM is part of Telus group of companies. So, if Telus or Koodo uses crypto in the future, maybe then PM may accept that currency afterwards  

BlueB
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

That's an interesting idea, and I don't think it's a bad one, but our economy hasn't reached a point where crypto is widely accepted yet.  There are a lot of challenges on the business side to facilitate it, and even more challenges accounting and managing it.  Perhaps we'll see it one day...

Like @computergeek541 mentioned, it's not an option right now, but cash vouchers are definitely another option that could work in the meantime.  🙂

@PublicService97 wrote:

Alot of people have crypto but dont have a way to directly pay for something like this and far as auto pay goes they can lose the crypto account while it still pays out until the agreement expires

Sorry, but this is not an option. You can buy payment vouchers from retail stores, using cash if you choose to do so.

Need Help? Let's chat.