cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

If I put funds on my account, will AutoPay still charge my card or will it draw from the funds first

tommygun
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

Basically, I've got ADHD.  Impulse spending is a real thing.  I figured, what if I stick the money I have budgeted for my phone bill on my account up front so I don't have to worry about running out of money and not being able to pay my phone bill.  But I still want the AutoPay rewards because that's 2 bucks a month which is half a bag of lentils and being a student lentils are really flippin financially sound.  So if I stick funds on my account, will I get billed despite the funds or will the funds be taken first?  If the latter, do I still get the AutoPay reward?

11 REPLIES 11

tommygun

Thanks for all the answers, everyone.  It's helped quite a lot.

tommygun

I understand.  I honestly don't believe I'll be switching from PM any time soon, though.  It's the cheapest option for where I live and my plan is pretty good for what I'm paying (in the Canadian context, anyway).  Thank you for the advice!

paul5

if you set up auto pay they will draw from the auto pay

hope this helps

smp99
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

To add to @will13am point, if you can find a reloadable credit card (eg KOHO, STACK) you could preload funds on that and have PM use that card to pay for your plan. If things do not work out you can pull your card and keep any funds you may have loaded up. 

will13am
Oracle
Oracle

@tommygun, you got the answer to your question many times over already.  I do want to add some cautionary words about placing funds into the account.  This service is prepaid and does not offer refunds.  Funds added to the account are there for good even if not spent on buying service.  Be careful with putting too much money in the account.  Do not treat it like a bank account, there are no withdrawal options. 

smp99
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

The short answer is - yes - if you have autopay setup, you will get the $2 autopay reward even if you have enough available funds to cover your plan payment.

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Alex888 wrote:

When your bill is due it subtracts your rewards from the total, then takes funds from your account, and if there were not enough funds in the account it charges the remained to the credit card.

From what I think, sorta kinda not quite. Just on where the rewards go.

At 7pm ET it'll say Plan Expired in red. At 00:00 ET it'll say suspended (but service should keep working). Around 12:30am ET it'll convert any rewards into Available Funds. Around 2am ET it'll renew from Available Funds and if not enough there it'll go to autopay for the rest and if that doesn't succeed then it will stay suspended and turn off the service. Then finally around noon ET if all is good you'll get a text saying all is good.

Alex888
Mayor / Maire

If you register a credit card $2 will automatically be rewarded every 30 days. When your bill is due it subtracts your rewards from the total, then takes funds from your account, and if there were not enough funds in the account it charges the remained to the credit card.

If money is an issue look through here: https://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/Knowledge-Base/General-Reward-Rules/ta-p/164, it will show you more ways you can earn rewards and get money off each month.

Anonymous
Not applicable

@wetcoaster wrote:

If you don't have a "normal" credit card (yet), there are certain prepaid credit cards that work for the purpose ( @Anonymous , I believe, is one of the people who went that route and might be able to shed some ligth into it?)

I got the idea from RobertQc. I haven't seen him here in a while. Hmm. I wonder what's going on.

wetcoaster
Mayor / Maire

@tommygun wrote:

Basically, I've got ADHD.  Impulse spending is a real thing.  I figured, what if I stick the money I have budgeted for my phone bill on my account up front so I don't have to worry about running out of money and not being able to pay my phone bill.  But I still want the AutoPay rewards because that's 2 bucks a month which is half a bag of lentils and being a student lentils are really flippin financially sound.  So if I stick funds on my account, will I get billed despite the funds or will the funds be taken first?  If the latter, do I still get the AutoPay reward?

Auto pay reward is applied if you register a credit card for it. It doesn't mean that the card has to be charged during the renewal process, it can be simply the back-up if there isn't enough funds at the time of renewal.

If you don't have a "normal" credit card (yet), there are certain prepaid credit cards that work for the purpose ( @Anonymous , I believe, is one of the people who went that route and might be able to shed some ligth into it?)

You can put funds into your account any time you like, but I would not use it to park much more money than the amount due - you might not get the balance back if you choose to move away from Public Mobile before it's used up.

As for the renewal process, you might want to read my post from a couple of days ago:https://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/Paying-for-your-service/Taxes-not-added-in-payment-history/m-p/315261/highlight/true#M23395

Anonymous
Not applicable

@tommygun wrote:

Renewals alway look to Available Funds first. If not enough there then it looks for autopay. If that fails then you go into suspension and your service stops. You still get the autopay reward (if set up) whether it gets used or not (but not in suspension).

Need Help? Let's chat.