cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I'm being overcharge by extra $4 for a $50

ayourque
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

Who looks into this...?!!

This is the third time I'm being charged $54 for a $50 dollar plan?

I need my refund!!! 

Smiley Mad

10 REPLIES 10

Roger3
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

It is not possible to have total charge of $54 including sales tax based on Canada’s sales tax rates at PT level. Double check your total charge.

Cost of Plan - All available Rewards = Top-up 

Payment = Top-up X taxes

mh1983
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

@ayourque wrote:

I need my refund!!! 

Smiley Mad

50 - 2 autopay = 48 * 1.13 (tax) = $54.24

@ayourque wrote:

Yes, but I didn't get charged the second time I subscribed... I had a $25 bonus, and $25 was taken from my account, hence, the impression that it isn't taxable.

Public Mobile works a bit differently compared to some other carriers.

PM charges taxes only on your net balance owing.
Some other carriers overcharge tax by applying it on your gross plan cost before applying any credits you've earned.

dna2016

@ayourque that's very odd.  I know others mentioned tax, but I don't see how you'd only get taxed $4 on a $50 plan, that doesn't add up to be proper tax unless you're getting a tax exemption.  $50 plus HST is $6.50.  There's no reward that provides 50 cents off so I'm not understanding how the numbers are working here.  Are you being charged exactly $54, or is it $54.24?

I'd message a MOD in this case if it's exactly $54 because that to me doesn't make any sense.  Hopefully another community member or an Oracle can break down the numbers to get $54.

chukdefatey

@ayourque wrote:

I need my refund!!! 

Smiley Mad

Please post when you get your Tax Refunded. I hate paying it too. Let us know when you get that Refund so we can go to wherever we paid the tax to get it Refunded. 

SD08
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

@ayourque wrote:

Yes, but I didn't get charged the second time I subscribed... I had a $25 bonus, and $25 was taken from my account, hence, the impression that it isn't taxable.

@ayourque 

Which province are you in? What is the exact charge appearing on your credit card without any rounding? What rewards do you regularly get? (e.g. autopay, referrals?)

First, subtract the rewards you get every 30 days from your $50 plan cost, then subtract any available credits or balance you might already have sitting in your account at the time of your renewal, then add your applicable provincial+federal tax on the net amount. This final amount should be what appears on your credit card.

All amounts that appear in the self-serve accounts are on a pre-tax basis, including amounts due, available funds, and rewards. These amounts offset each other before any taxes are calculated. So if you have a $25 balance or credit, it would first cancel out $25 of your plan cost before tax. Only when the billing system has to reach outside of the self-serve for funds (e.g. credit card charge) does tax get added, and only on the remaining amount owing.

ayourque
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

RossN
Mayor / Maire

@ayourque  have you heard of tax?

Triguy
Mayor / Maire

The additional $4 would be for sales tax. 

Need Help? Let's chat.